Insulated garage for fridge?

PonyOnMyBoat

I'm thinking about building a "garage" in the back of my Tacoma that my fridge (which I dont have yet) can live in, with 1" insulation all around to help with efficiency. Of course there will be cutouts for the vents and power cord. Removable top for access when the tailgate is up, or slide the fridge out through an open(able) front for tailgate use.

Has anybody here done something similar? I see that commercial box/slide combos are available but these do not incorporate insulation.

One concern I have is condensation; I live in the mid-Atlantic where summer dew points are often in the 60s or even 70s.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes great idea, but 1" isn't much, 2-4" better if you have room.

Along with added ventilation of tge condenser / electronics area.

May save 20+AH per 24 hours in hot weather, mire if used as a freezer.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I built what you have described for my Engel, it definitely helps. Btw one inch is plenty for my application.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I have done this on several builds. For a fixed fridge the insulation can be bonded directly to the unit. For mobile units, a enclosure can be built with careful attention to venting. If possible get as much cool outside air to the condenser. The goal is to get the insulation as tight against the unit as possible.

If you are a bit more crafty, you can make an insulation "cover". Take 1/2-2" foam blocks, and make a fabric cover for the fridge. Use adhesive to bond the foam to the cover.

krick3tt

Adventurer
The commercial fridge covers that are sold by the makers are very thin but they seem to work. I am in process of deciding on making one for myself. I have had no issues even being the desert at 113 deg. with the fridge not keeping things cold.
I will use a canvas type fabric and the two sided bubble wrap that is used to keep water heaters warm. I certainly don't have the room for anything thicker.
Yes there is plenty of vent space behind and below.

Attachments

• DSC05280.JPG
    DSC05280.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • DSC05282.JPG
    DSC05282.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 30

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I have the transit cover Engel had for my MT45 and it does help. I would think the key is to have any aux insulation fit snuggly otherwise any air between the bible wrap, foam or whatever and fridge body will just end up equalizing to the ambient temp. Or worse if it traps exhausted air and becomes warmer than ambient.

51M5YG59M7L.jpg

PonyOnMyBoat

Received my Indel 41A today and have it chilling to a setting of 0C/32F with a couple of water bottles (want to calibrate the temperature based on ice formation). I took a minute to Read That Funny Manual and it says to keep 15cm clearance around the top, back, and sides. I was definitely going to keep good clearance around the vents and the lower back over the compressor, but 6" all around seems absurd - especially since most mfrs sell insulated covers.

Thoughts?

john61ct

Adventurer
Ignore, those areas getting hot need extra ventilation, the rest you can cover.

But some metal skinned fridges use the whole exterior to dissipate heat, can't add extra insulation to the outside on those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94