Next Question: Diesel vs. Gas F350

ttengineer

Adventurer
I didn’t know you could get a Range Rover in a diesel.

Is it a ford diesel or a British made one?

I’ve got several friends with Range Rovers and not a single one has ever said anything good about them, primarily the drive train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
I have a 2014 Tundra >snip<

Yep, the Tundra is great truck. Thirsty but great.

I am die hard Toyota fan, but at that fuel consumption rate. Rather have a 1 Ton and not have to worry about payload.

Toyota just needs to get off their asses and bring us a 1 Ton. ;)

More gears = more versatile. It allows a full size 4x4 to be able to get 22+mpg while empty and also tow 13k with out being confined to the right lane. Try to do either with a 4 speed.

My statement was more of a throwback to when heavy trucks had 10 speeds to move and carry stuff. Kinda crazy to see it in half tons now...the half tons of today are no joke though. Fricken impressive to get 20+ mpg unloaded, and be able to yank around 13K towing. Puts the old 3/4 tons to shame. Was lucky to get 8-10 out of my old F250...empty or loaded. Used to yank around a Bobcat 743 with it...and the traliler was probably 6000 lbs, It pulled it...but you definitely knew it was back there.

SheepnJeep

Wow, 9 pages of opinions to read, and I am still right! :cool:

I was thinking this topic over again today. Heavier trucks usually have higher maintainence costs due to bigger parts, more fluids, more everything. Especially diesels. I'm thinking if you were a lease and warranty type of heavy truck owner why not go for a diesel and try and get some freebie oil changes thrown in. If you are more the "run it till its all-dead" smaller pickup owner maybe gas is the way to go. Meaning 1/2 tons and smaller probably.
Does this seem to work out in real life?

As far as brand loyalty goes, they all break. Except my F100.

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
I didn’t know you could get a Range Rover in a diesel.

Is it a ford diesel or a British made one?

I’ve got several friends with Range Rovers and not a single one has ever said anything good about them, primarily the drive train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The new F150 3.0 V6 diesel is the same as RR uses, Ford built in England. Ford is importing them here for now. Been around 10 years in different versions. Seems pretty solid.

chet6.7

Explorer
As the Original Poster, may I add a comment? The Ford vs. Toyota, etc, etc. entire hijacked commentary has become somewhat amusing and a lot of fun. But for the original question I have decided on the diesel because it is so much more pleasant to drive a high torque motor turbocharged for the mountains. My 2012 F350 diesel has performed well as a work truck, my 2018 Range Rover (Ford) diesel is a joy to drive and I realized that going back to gas will simply not be as much fun for this upcoming camper-hauler. Thanks everyone for a ton of information and the full range of opinion.
All of my other trucks were gas,Chevy,Ford,Toyota,and Dodge.
I do have concerns about the longevity of the emissions equipment on today's diesels.
Enjoying the vehicle you are driving is important,my current CTD is the most fun truck to drive that I have ever owned,it rolls up my local 7% grade and the E brake on the down side is very nice.

D

Deleted member 9101

Wow, 9 pages of opinions to read, and I am still right! :cool:

I was thinking this topic over again today. Heavier trucks usually have higher maintainence costs due to bigger parts, more fluids, more everything. Especially diesels. I'm thinking if you were a lease and warranty type of heavy truck owner why not go for a diesel and try and get some freebie oil changes thrown in. If you are more the "run it till its all-dead" smaller pickup owner maybe gas is the way to go. Meaning 1/2 tons and smaller probably.
Does this seem to work out in real life?

As far as brand loyalty goes, they all break. Except my F100.

With the service life and low maintenance of the new gas engines, they really take a bite out of the glory that diesels had years ago. In fact some of the repairs on the new diesels cost what a long cost for a gas motor...lol.

UPS has gas engines in their fleets now. One has to assume that a massive cost benefit analysis was done by them before making the swap.

D

Deleted member 9101

The new F150 3.0 V6 diesel is the same as RR uses, Ford built in England. Ford is importing them here for now. Been around 10 years in different versions. Seems pretty solid.

This is my "I learned something new today."

Dalko43

Explorer
I think you have it backwards: the bottom of the line F150 has the same brakes and transmission as the Raptor and Max Tow... meaning it is way over built. Please, go to any camp ground and talk to newer F150 owners, they are not blowing transmissions or prematurely wearing their brakes. They are towing 10k+ trailers with no problems. Go to a track, they are pulling enclosed car haulers that were previously pulled by a 3/4 ton truck.

Compare the F-150's axles and brakes to those of the Tundra. 10.5" rear end for the Tundra vs the F-150's 9.75". The Tundra also has bigger calipers up front compared to the F-150, last time I checked.

Ford built an offroad-dedicated, heavily reinforced version of the F-150 (Raptor) to race in the Baja 1000; Toyota simply uses the stock Tundra. There is a slight difference in design mentality there.

I'm not saying the F-150 is bad per se, but it certainly isn't "overbuilt" when compared to something like the Tundra. And its chassis certainly isn't built to the same spec as a 3/4 ton, even though it is "rated" to carry similar payloads.

Bottom-line, I'm sure the F-150 can tow 10k lbs on a consistent basis. However, it would not be my first choice for such duties. A 3/4 ton will handle that weight much better than any 1/2 ton. There is a difference between what is possible and what is optimal.

The max tow and HDPP variants also come with a thicker frame to handle the extra weight... bet ya didn't know that.

I'd like to know the source for that information. Everything I have read and seen indicates that the high GVWR F-150 has the same frame, axles and brakes as the regular versions.

Last edited:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
As the Original Poster, may I add a comment? The Ford vs. Toyota, etc, etc. entire hijacked commentary has become somewhat amusing and a lot of fun. But for the original question I have decided on the diesel because it is so much more pleasant to drive a high torque motor turbocharged for the mountains. My 2012 F350 diesel has performed well as a work truck, my 2018 Range Rover (Ford) diesel is a joy to drive and I realized that going back to gas will simply not be as much fun for this upcoming camper-hauler. Thanks everyone for a ton of information and the full range of opinion.

I tried my best to stay out of this discussion but the above statement about pleasant to drive sums it all up as far as my personal feelings and observations. I currently drive a Ford with the V-10 and another with the 3.5 Ecoboost - and a Dodge with the Cummins. To me there is NOTHING like the relaxed power that Cummins puts to the road when towing over a mountain pass. It leaves ME more relaxed at the end of the drive and to me that's worth a lot. Listening to an engine scream at 4000 rpm raises my blood pressure even though my mind tells me it's not hurting anything. Oh, and yes, I'm happy to list myself in the "cheap" category.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It's all in your head. It takes no effort to shift gears with an automatic transmission. The new gas Fords have a giant muffler and 87 cats. There is no screaming anymore. Our GM's and Dodges areabout the same, give or take whether or not they have the diesel sound insulation still on the firewall. My trucks do.

The Mercedez Sprinter I drove cross country had a little 3.0L diesel. 3000rpm forever. Didn't even really notice it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

I'd like to know the source for that information. Everything I have read and seen indicates that the high GVWR F-150 has the same frame, axles and brakes as the regular versions.

Brakes are the same from the V6 XL all the way to the Raptor. This in no way means that some variants of the truck suffer from undersized brakes. There is a 8.8" and 9.75" rear end depending on what options the truck has. Ford has three frame thicknesses for the F150, each is a high strength steel so they can make the frame lighter save weight. It's also fully boxed. The max tow gets a stronger hitch.

https://madocumentupload.marketingas...983a7&v5=False

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/heavy-duty-payload-package-hdpp-really-include-thicker-frame-422494/

I went for the 2.7 EcoBoost super crew with the 8.8" rear end and 3.15 gears. I wanted something that gets good fuel economy (for a truck). It hauls a 7k travel trailer at 70 mph with zero complaints and merges onto the interstate with no drama. Now that it's been played with a bit, it does it with even less effort.

As for the Tundra vs. F150... the F150 is rated (depending on options) to tow more and with the 3.5 EcoBoost it will walk away from the Tundra when pulling a grade... with out breaking a sweat.

Once again, go to a camp ground or race track (or even a F150 forum) and talk to guys who tow with them. Day in and day out they are doing the job of yesterday's 3/4 ton trucks with no issues.

Attachments

• untitled_3fd3ef9b97fd9a2425c2377650f80cf5eb3d76f1.jpg
    untitled_3fd3ef9b97fd9a2425c2377650f80cf5eb3d76f1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

The Mercedez Sprinter I drove cross country had a little 3.0L diesel. 3000rpm forever. Didn't even really notice it.

My uncle has an RV built on a sprinter chassis... that is one quiet little diesel.

Dalko43

Explorer
Brakes are the same from the V6 XL all the way to the Raptor. This in no way means that some variants of the truck suffer from undersized brakes. There is a 8.8" and 9.75" rear end depending on what options the truck has. Ford has three frame thicknesses for the F150, each is a high strength steel so they can make the frame lighter save weight. It's also fully boxed. The max tow gets a stronger hitch.

https://madocumentupload.marketingas...983a7&v5=False

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/heavy-duty-payload-package-hdpp-really-include-thicker-frame-422494/

Why doesn't Ford publish this stuff on their own website?

If this document is in fact correct, then I'm glad to see that Ford does strengthen the frame somewhat. I still consider the F-150's rear axle and front brakes somewhat outgunned by what the Tundra employs, and certainly the overall chassis design doesn't match up to what 3/4 tons come with.

Again, not saying the F-150 is bad. But if I had to consistently tow 10k lbs or carry +2k lbs of payload, a 3/4 ton is the better option in my book, regardless of what Ford claims in their literature.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Because Ford fans that's why. Every momo with ego issues will be freaking out that there's a thicker frame out there that they didn't order. The other guys will be wondering whats wrong with the thinner frame, and worry about their frames splitting in half like a Toyota. ''Why not use the thicker frame on all of the trucks?'' Publicizing the tech data too much, can be a double edged sword, especially if your audience is retarded.

When the truth is, you only need the frame on that one single weird 150 with the weirdly high GVWR, due to one little spot on the frame too close to engineering limits, and that both frames are fine.

Look how they freak out about the Dana M275 on the new Super Duties. The momo's are desperate trying to figure out how to get one with the gas trucks. When it's completely not needed, and the standard 10.5 is perfectly fine, and far more proven.

Momo's wreck it for everyone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles