Need new Backpack

adamhoward

Hey you guys... I'm coming to the realization that my ALPS Traverse EPS backpack sucks and is hurting me. I'm going to try moving the Torso adjustment down even further to "M" position on the "ladder" so that the Hip belt can ride higher. But even if this helps... the velcro flap to lock-in Torso adjustment is a poorly design reversed direction rip-off of the Tenzig system and the pointed end of that Velcro flap ends up rubbing a raw area in the center of my back.

As such... I'd like to see about ordering a new backpack.

All you experienced dudes throw me out suggestions to look at. I need a Spotting Scope pocket and Tripod pocket/stash.
Main thing would be comfortable and good ventilation against your back would be a HUGE plus for me!

Thank you guys... eagerly awaiting your thoughts so I can hurry up and place an order.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I am a big fan of the Outdoorsmans pack system. I like that you can actually buy multiple bags to attach to one frame with the same hip and shoulder belt. Both the long range hunter and the optics hunter packs have room for spotters, tripods, etc.
I have a friend that swears by his KUIU pack (its very lightweight) but I'm really tall so outdoorsmans also made custom shoulder and hip belts to fit me.

They aren't perfect, but they are well thought out. I carried all but one quarter of this deer out in my pack (my wife carried the one hind quarter) and although it was mindbending heavy, the pack held up.

Last edited:

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Well, if you're asking for ideas minus the personal experience then I hear tell that Stone Glacier has some fine packs. I've seen the craftsmanship in their tents. They are (obviously) very focused on the the ultra-lightweight, back county hunter market. Which was me about 20 years ago. I don't do a lot of true backpack hunting these days preferring to base camp (in Expedition Vehicle or tent) and then ride to get further away and then walk to get even FURTHER away from others.

But if you are talking about a backpack truly suited for wilderness backpack hunting the number of hunting pack makers is quite short and non-hunting pack makers quite long. Off the top of my head, I would say: Outdoorsmans, Kuiu, Stone Glacier, Stika(new), and A company out of Colo that makes nice packs but I can't think of their name off the top of my head. (EDIT: It was Mystery Ranch out of MT not CO)

Last edited:

CCH

Adventurer
I've used Kifaru and Hill People Gear. My experience with Kifaru was with their older packs, so I can't really comment on their newer offerings. They are designed specifically for hunting. I currently use HPG packs, and they are the most comfortable packs I've ever owned. They don't offer spotting scope/tripod pockets, but you'd be able to put those on if you wanted to. I have no trouble packing mine as is using the built in pockets on my Ute.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I am seeing HPG come up more and more with people I trust to know the difference between good stuff and crap. I wish they made their wind cheater in tall.

Let's not forget that when it comes to "true" pack trips and hauling meat/gear to and fro on a mountain there is little equal to a Barney's pack. It just happens to be overkill. If I got drawn for Sheep hunt in the Church or Owyhee's I'd be calling up Barney's for a custom-fit pack.

Timcampsallover

Tree top flyer
I’ve gone full Mystery Ranch for all current needs. Just bought a commuter low key “normal looking” 31L for my daily truck pack. I’ve found these packs to take serious abuse and remain fully functional. Only complaint is that they use heavier materials but they also have some lighter options. I have used mostly the tougher fabrics. Strongly recommend Mystery Ranch packs. Don’t buy one if you like new stuff ....cause it will last forever.

From a hiking standpoint, I love Osprey packs. I sweat a lot, and Osprey keeps the pack off and allows for plenty of breathing. The belts also fits me, which is a plus. I've hiked 7+mi with it loaded 55#, so it can take weight. I have Atmos 65 and Talon 22; my wife has the women's versions of mine.

Osprey, Gregory, and Deuter are the best packs for keeping the pack off the back, allowing ventilation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz