Our Journey to Moab

xtremluck

40936055940_1dee11a117_c.jpg

What can I say about Moab? It is known by many as the off road capital of the world. For myself, it’s a place that embodies two things I love: Mountain Biking and Overlanding (aka fancy car camping). Our trip plans called for just about a week of backcountry travel, dispersed camping and exploring some of the well known trails in the area. There were six trucks, seven humans and one dog that would be part of this trip. With such a large group it took a significant amount of planning and coordination but we got it done. The result? An adventure that none of us will ever forget.

Getting There
All the rigs on the trip were from the San Francisco Bay Area so this meant we would need to drive about 16 hours to reach Moab. I decided to break the drive out over two days. With the first stop being a 4x4 trail right outside of Las Vegas. The trail ended up being rather scenic and after hunting for a while we found a spot to setup camp for our first night.

27883970217_eacbc6975b_c.jpg

After a relatively good nights rest we woke up early and headed out promptly to continue the long drive to Moab. Here’s a shot of us leaving the trail with Las Vegas in the background.

42029831054_434fdde358_c.jpg

The White Rim Trail (Canyonlands)
After about 8 hours of driving we arrived in Moab in the late afternoon. A quick fuel stop was needed to fill our tanks and Rotopax. After that was done we promptly headed to Canyonlands National Park to start our trip on the White Rim Trail. The entire route would encompass 110+ miles of off road travel spread across two days. We kicked things off with a descent down to the valley floor right around sunset:

40936066230_78466e9060_c.jpg

I made the mistake of assuming we had plenty of daylight left so we decided to do a short hike before we found our campsite. The hiking trail led us to this amazing view of the Colorado River:

42029447184_790edd715a_c.jpg

Unfortunately, I underestimated the amount of daylight we had left and we ended up having to drive 15 or so miles in the dark. This would become a recurring theme on this trip :)

40936072100_b48de7527f_c.jpg

In Canyonlands dispersed camping is not allowed. So we had reserved a dedicated primitive camping spot for us to settle down in. The site was actually quite nice offering up some flat space with a pit toilet. This was also the first night I got to test out my new camp kitchen setup:

42029443844_829a310a9a_c.jpg

The Setup Comprises Of:
•CBI Rear Bumper with fold out camp tables
•3rd row delete w/a custom plate made by [MENTION=107460]Magnetic4R[/MENTION]
•Custom rear LED lighting with dimmer controls
•Dometic 65L fridge running off of dedicated rear power outlets wired to my second battery

The setup worked fantastically and really made it easy to cook meals and I didn’t have any sort of issues. Not bad considering it was completely new and untested!

The next morning we woke up and continued on the trail.

42029430224_1a37a0bed9_c.jpg

42029433454_2cd74ebf2b_c.jpg

It was right after this shot where I received my only damage for the entire trip (Outside of bashed skids and slider rash). White Rim is considered a moderate trail in many guide books but I would say it’s 95% easy with a few steep and exposed spots. In fact I did the whole thing in 2WD!

There are some parts of the trail that allow you to carry a decent amount of speed. I wasn’t paying attention on one of these portions and I went into a whoop with a little too much momentum. The result of this was me launching the truck and coming down hard on the front passenger side. It was so much force that I bottomed out and my body mounts flexed just enough to push my frame mounted front coilover reservoir bracket into my windshield fluid reservoir piercing it. The leaking washer fluid almost gave me a heart attack but I was relieved to discover it was only that!

We continued on the trail which offered endless amounts of stunning views. If not disciplined we would have been there all day long taking pictures. However, we had a campsite to find so after wrapping things up for the day we promptly headed to BLM land in search of a campsite.

40936053030_efbc0dfac9_c.jpg

One thing to mention is that the first two days were done with only half the group. The other three trucks arrived a day later. Fortunately, I was able to guide them to our campsite using my Garmin Inreach Satellite Device. Since we were in the backcountry we didn’t have cell phone service so the only way I could lead them to us was with text messages via satellite. As soon as they got in range we were able to raise them on HAM Radio for the final couple of miles to camp.

40936074500_8ee02d8ec2_c.jpg

Drone shot of our campsite

Hells Revenge
Waking up the next morning we decided to hit a trail I was really excited about called Hells Revenge. For those of you who have never been to Moab before it offers a unique type of slickrock which serves up a tremendous amount of traction. You can go up and down grades you would never have ever imagined. Here is a video of me climbing up one of the first hills on the trail. The bike rack JUST cleared...phew

Unfortunately, I started to get overconfident and tried an optional line which put me in a very tippy situation when my tires ran out of traction. Luckily [MENTION=81106]Cytronus[/MENTION] was there for the rescue and after a simple winch pull I was back on all four wheels.

42029440444_7a844ea562_c.jpg

Photo Credit: Mike Goedde

The rest of the trail proved to be a lot of fun with rolling hills and views on top of views!

40936076050_02801cfa8f_c.jpg

40936050240_6c274be4c3_c.jpg

It also tested our approach and departure angles quite a bit:
40936076300_04684415ec_c.jpg

We were warned earlier in the trail not to head down the final few miles to pavement because of how difficult it was. Supposedly, a few Jeeps had rolled recently attempting it. We decided to give it a shot anyway.
41894971235_d4f1f7c9af_c.jpg

Unfortunately, we ran out of daylight (again) and had to finish the last few tricky sections in the dark. We all made it back to pavement safe and sound and headed to our campsite for the night.

Last edited:

xtremluck

Top of the World
The next day we had a later start and decided to check out Top of the World. Most of the trails was pretty straight forward with a few optional ledges to play on.
40936075650_89f6811db1_c.jpg

I didn’t get a ton of shots on this trail but captured the one everyone seems to get:
42697549902_085052d290_c.jpg

After hanging out at the top for a bit we had two options for the return trip back to pavement. We could go back the way we came or go right for a more challenging section. Once again we were warned earlier about the challenging route from a guy in his Jeep. I guess people think 4runners can’t wheel? What do you think we did?

The back side certainly had its share of challenging ledges:
40936075420_de6dcd3044_c.jpg

Also, once again we found ourselves descending technical terrain in total darkness:
40936075070_9005400c7f_c.jpg

After some careful spotting we all made it down and back to camp around midnight. With the adrenaline wearing off we all turned in for the night.

Seven Mile Rim

41846837255_894875980a_c.jpg

The final day of the trip (for me) was spent running probably my favorite trail in Moab thus far. With the mixed terrain, gorgeous views, technical sections and high speed portions it was the perfect blend of what Moab has to offer and a great way to end the trip.

41846839995_a0a7792d1c_c.jpg

Spotting [MENTION=81106]Cytronus[/MENTION] down a tricky chute

40936074850_c7f1741bbb_c.jpg

Group shot

41846845215_b2aff8ee63_c.jpg

Conclusion
Man oh man what a great trip. I couldn’t have asked for a better group of people to share such an amazing experience with. I think one of my biggest takeaways was how awesome it was to watch the group band together in times of adversity. Coming down technical terrain in the dark is no easy feat and required teamwork to make sure everyone got down safely and relatively unscathed. I think by the end of the trip everyone trusted the person next to them quite extensively.

Of course there is always room for improvement and with any trip I always like to do a retrospective. I think for the next big trip there are two things I would like to have in place:

1. Permanently Mounted HAM Radio - My $30 handheld unit became less and less reliable during the trip. There is nothing worse than having unreliable comms during a group trail ride. So I will be looking to hard mount a higher powered radio before my next trip.

2. Rock Lights - I’ve avoided doing this upgrade for quite some time. Most of my night wheeling up to this point has been done on easy to moderate terrain. However, this trip clearly illustrated that there are times where you can get stuck out on a technical trail past sundown. In those slow moving situations you need lights that can help your spotter guide you. Normal lights won’t cut as they will only blind your spotter. So these things just moved up on the priority list.

Well that’s it folks, hope that gives you a sense of the awesome trail riding and camping experiences to be had in Moab. Colorado, we're coming for you next!

Last edited:

VicMackey

Adventurer
Great write-up and great pics!

Utah is fantastic. Its almost like being on another planet. All things being equal, I prefer Colorado as there are more trees and wildlife.

Its cool that your only "damage" could have been repaired with chewing gum. That's the kind of trail damage I prefer.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Good story and photos. I live about 1.5 hours from Moab and get there several times a year to wheel or MTB. Used to love it there but lately the place is just overrun. Side by sides have dug out the trails, caused miles of whoops in what used to be fast sand roads and just general crowding everywhere. We now go in the winter months and find it much more fun.

Glad you guys liked it though. I just wish it were possible to turn back the clock when Moab was just a sleepy old mining town.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmoo

I love how high up that bike rack is on the silver 4 runner with the snorkel. (they are all 4 runners....) The bikes are always the Achilles heel when my friends and I go wheeling, we always want to bring the bikes. (do any good trails on the bikes?)

I assume it is a custom setup with the rear bumper? Looks great, nice coverage of the trip.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I love how high up that bike rack is on the silver 4 runner with the snorkel. (they are all 4 runners....) The bikes are always the Achilles heel when my friends and I go wheeling, we always want to bring the bikes. (do any good trails on the bikes?)

I assume it is a custom setup with the rear bumper? Looks great, nice coverage of the trip.

Here’s another custom mount that has the bike high and attached to the swing out so no hassle to get in the back.
1f18eaefd893f53ee5c40f397e9d3993.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xtremluck

Thanks! That rig is mine. It's a CBI rear bumper with a hitch receiver welded onto the tire swing out. I added a 8" hitch extension + 1UP HD Rack to complete the setup. Took me a long time to come up with a solution that:
1. Doesn't detract from the departure angle of the vehicle
2. Is easily swung out of the way when camp cooking
3. Is able to securely transport two bikes on very rough terrain without damaging the bikes. The 1up rack holds onto the bikes by their tires. A lot of racks touch the frame or wheels which is a problem when you think of vibration over rough terrain.

27989144707_86d3f10da2_c.jpg

This trip was more about 4WDing but I did do The Whole Enchilada while I was out there. My favorite trail in Moab for MTB is Capt Ahab though. It's pretty technical and there are areas of exposure but its so much fun!

jonnypage

How was travelling with the dog? It looks like lots of places you cant take them even if they dont leave the vehicle.

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
What a great trip! When I see things like this report i wonder why i would ever be worried about IFS and off-roading. Looks great. Need more dog pics though :D

ROCK ON

Moab, no place like it on earth, cant wait to see what you think about Colorado, be sure Ouray, is on your list, just wondering who the Patriot belong too and hope they are enjoying it, just happen to know the dealer here in Oklahoma.....

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great write up and I have enjoyed most of that area also,
completely agree on the perm radio setup and how comms are a must
thanks for the excellent pics and stories

yeos

Observer
Sounds like an awesome trip which provided me some insight on planning an upcoming trip to the Moab area from Seattle. It'll be 2-3 vehicles and with easy to moderate trails in mind. I'll keep the trails you went on in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz