Southwest Disk or Tembo Tusk Skottle?

Scoutman

Explorer
And for those who want to make their own, go to your local farm supply store. I found a whole stack of plow disc's for $22 each.

Attachments

• IMG_20180405_162731409.jpg
    IMG_20180405_162731409.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20180405_162736684.jpg
    IMG_20180405_162736684.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 88

01tundra

Explorer
@01tundra yes, I would say you definitely have this discada thing covered. :) I like what you did with the legs of the skottle. It's always bugged me a little that they won't fit in the main bag (but not bad enough for me to do anything about it). What did you use for sleeving the leg pipes? I like the push button clips too, very clean.

I haven't used my 22" discada since I got the Skottle.

36" of 7/8" OD (0.777 inch) x 0.049" wall -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XN9IFS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_21?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

6mm solid pin clips -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M417MW2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_20?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A9VAKYMMFXG39

WOODY2

Adventurer
FYI the disc's are available in 2" increments from 16" to approx 28" the 16's run less than $10

Village Idiot
I like to cook and thought the skottle was a pretty cool concept. I wasn't too keen on the price so I built my own as well. The biggest lesson I learned was regarding placement of the studs for the legs. Definitely could have moved them out a bit further to make more room for the burner. Right now the adjusting bolts work well for raising and lowering the burner, but I have some more trimming to do. Regarding how it cooks...it's fun, but does take some getting use to in regards to temperature. The heat is pretty concentrated and I am using the same burner as Tembo Tusk.

View attachment 457173View attachment 457174View attachment 457175View attachment 457176View attachment 457177

I have about $60 bucks all in on this project....but I did splurge and buy the STEP 22 carry bag...it's pretty sweet!

I haven't touched mine. Been working on other stuff, but I love your idea on the leg sockets and burner holder.

Where can I get a horseshoe? Tractor supply?

Scoutman

Explorer
I haven't touched mine. Been working on other stuff, but I love your idea on the leg sockets and burner holder.

Where can I get a horseshoe? Tractor supply?

Yes, I've gotten them at Tractor Supply in the past when I was using them for handles on my discada.

71GTPRO

I cannot comment on the carbon steel of the name brands, but my steel plow disc works great. The only complaint I really have is that the center gets too hot at times. If the flame from the Coleman burner was larger diameter, I think it would heat the disc more evenly. I use the same burner as Tembo Tusk so who knows...maybe their steel does a better job of evenly dispersing the heat from the burner. We just used ours for a week in Banff/Japser National Park in Canada...worked great! The Stepp 22 carry bag is awesome and worth the investment to me.

01tundra

Explorer
Well.....I've gone full circle and am now back to using our 18" Southwest Disk for our camp cooking. I just prefer the larger cooking zone and better heat control provided by the burner. I tried using the Skottle exclusively for several camping trips this year but it's just not the optimum solution for us. Our situation is a little different now that we have a travel trailer and 3/4-ton truck. If we were still camping out of our trail rig I'd stick it out with the Skottle due to the compactness.

There's nothing wrong with the Skottle and it's a great choice when limited on space, but we're just not in that position. I did modify the SW disk by cutting the handles off and running chain through the remaining hollow square tubing welded to the disc. I used Silicone tubing on the chain and even after cooking for extended time I feel no heat transfer to the handles, plus it gave me a good place to hang utensils from.

So the Skottle is now retired and the SW Disk(s) are used for both home and camp cooking, I feel like it's the best fit for our particular situation. I am still using the Step 22 case to carry the SW disk, lid, steam tray, 10' gas hose and all the utensils. The burner is carried separately, but still collapses down really compact and it allows us to use other pots/pans on it if we desire to so it's a much more flexible cooking option.

766Lo1s.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier