Mog down under.

Jetskibum1

Hi all, I am based in Tairua, New Zealand. We are a coastal town and on a peninsular which is often cut off due to weather events which bring slips and impassable flooding that close all the roads in and out. Apart from this excuse to have a Mog and wanting to build a camper, this may go down as the craziest thing my wife and I have brought.
Last week we took a flight to purchase a U1700L from Christchurch, a town in the south island which was 1040 kms ( 600 miles ) from our north island home. It was sight unseen but had had a private owner whom owned two of them for the last four years.
It is EX New Zealand Army prior to that and came with the scant records of repair that they seem to have as well as a new certificate of roadworthy which is required every six months.
We knew nothing more than we had read online and this was only the third mog I have been in so we were nervous to say the least as to our ability to drive home with no issues.
Turns out it went OK and we dawdled up the country at 70 kms which was a fine balance between noise level and not stressing anything too much.
It had just had a gearbox oil change and Im hoping this is the wrong weight as cold up shifts into 5th and seventh were horrid and down shift from 8th to 7th was never improving even with temperature. The box at idle with the clutch out is quiet cold and not so when hot.. I have some things to learn :)
The pics are on the North Islands Desert Road which is the main highway north to south but it is also the Army driver training area so it seemed a great place to stop for the first pics.

Attachments

• mog1.JPG
    mog1.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 105
  • mog2.JPG
    mog2.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 97
  • mog 3.jpg
    mog 3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Sitec

Adventurer
Welcome to the addictive pastime that is truck ownership and building!! There is a massive amount of knowledge here on the forum and I have learned a lot in the few years I've been on here. There are several trucks/builds floating around Oz, but I'm not sure who's in NZ. Good luck with the machine. Good to see it on decent boots too! Ian (in this section) may be able to advise re the correct oils for the gearbox. Good luck! :)

Wyuna

Observer
Awesome, now you can get to Thames :ROFLMAO:

Enjoy the Mog and look forwards to seeing a build thread.

I love the Coromandel, we had a place on the beach over at Wyuna Bay, so i know about power outages and the coast road closed

Jostt

Adventurer
Nice base...Welcome, the Gearbox issues looks like normal , my one until it reach 70-80 degrees to shift betwen 5 and 6 whitout noise and effort is a big big game...I try diferent oil brand, allways whit the same viscosity whit no difference

Roverchef

Adventurer
RedLine makes a really nice manual trans fluid that has solved many issues over the yrs with these transmissions and even a few in Defenders and Pinzgauers of mine too. Congrats on the purchase!

Questor

Huge member
RedLine makes a really nice manual trans fluid that has solved many issues over the yrs with these transmissions and even a few in Defenders and Pinzgauers of mine too. Congrats on the purchase!
+1 on the Redline synthetic oil. I use it on my U1300 and if you time the rpm's the shifts are easy. You'll figure it out. Congratulations on your new friend.
Q~

Jetskibum1

Off the side of the highway was an opportunity to get onto the river bed for a couple of pics.

Attachments

• mog5.jpeg
    mog5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

Ramcat

Got to start somewhere eh! Great looking Mog. What sort of box you thinking about? I vote hard sided pop up.
I did the hard side pop up on my M416 build. Works great! I went overboard on 1/8”diamond plate and now looking to cut out some sliders in the side panels. Powered its lift with a small actuator assisted by some gas shocks. First pics, the build, last pics the end result. I have a small vid of it going up but the file is too large to post

Attachments

• B009FB2B-BCB5-4054-82B5-054772069C7E.jpeg
    B009FB2B-BCB5-4054-82B5-054772069C7E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 6FCC1226-B027-49F2-9D44-A5781C6FFAF2.jpeg
    6FCC1226-B027-49F2-9D44-A5781C6FFAF2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • D1797B03-ED7C-43FA-98A6-66BBEDC1D207.jpeg
    D1797B03-ED7C-43FA-98A6-66BBEDC1D207.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • 63DFE476-8CF5-4938-BE29-B3D12DF0F314.jpeg
    63DFE476-8CF5-4938-BE29-B3D12DF0F314.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28

Jetskibum1

Delays in my progress came in the form of the gearbox needing removal for overhaul. The mog is parked in my drive waiting to be repatriated with this critical component, Anyway Im sure the driving experience will be much better once the ability to down change has been restored.
Moggearbox.jpg

Jetskibum1

Anyway, time is not being wasted with my recent trip to Australia for the Unidan Engineering owners weekend. A great bunch of people and a cool collection of mogs and campers to peruse. Its great when you get a company passionate about what they do. Some great offroading was done and some educational tech talks plus the usual beers and chatter.
moglineup.jpg

Jetskibum1

If the transmission is out recommend addition of working gears and if you really feel rich a Claas overdrive. Unidan in Australia can probably source these.
Im going to run this machine for a few thousand kms and see what else is terminal before I commit to any extras over and above the camper body. Thirty year old truck may be full of surprises. The working group was impressive though. Unidan are a great source of parts and info. We visited them a couple of weeks back while in Aussie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior