Maxtrax Xtreme

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
1/21/19: Now with homepage article. https://expeditionportal.com/maxtrax-extreme-first-field-test/

Are the Xtreme versions available for purchase? Has anyone tested these yet? Any occurrence of teeth ripping out? I worry about being able to replace one if the threads are damaged when the tooth is ripped out. Sounds like they beefed up the body a little as well. Hopefully OJ will do a full review of these new units. Maybe a side by side with the TRED/ARB pro.
Photo-12-MAXTRAX-Xtreme.jpg
Photo-13-MAXTRAX-Xtreme.jpg

mxt-slide1.jpg

mxt-slide-22.jpg

ExploringElementsMaxtraxSEMA2017-3.jpg

ExploringElementsMaxtraxSEMA2017-4-1.jpg

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
They don't really look beefier or more reinforced in those photos to me. I too wonder how well the threading system holds up to 7,000lb+ rigs spinning their tires on them. I am curious what the expected life span is of the studs and how much replacements will cost. They introduced a Mini MaxTrax as well which appears to be about half the size of the original.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
The knobs on my original MaxTrax are in good shape (because I am careful), but if some get scrubbed off I'll probably try to fit the extreme lugs by drilling out the worn originals. Or just some short bolts with washers and jamb nuts.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
If you rip off some nubbs take a look at koan replacement teeth.

Attachments

• 0BCA04CF-17BC-482A-82BC-02B9253FC79B.jpeg
    0BCA04CF-17BC-482A-82BC-02B9253FC79B.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 96

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Or, aluminum hex bolts in 1/4-20x1" for about 32 cents each on Amazon. Add nuts and washers and you are still in for less than $1 per stud. Lighter weight and easier to grind to length than stainless, and strong enough.

Re the "compared to what" issue, my MaxTrax have been worth it in an absolute sense. First recovery paid for them, everything else is gravy.

Wilbah

Adventurer
These were supposed to be released in spring 2018 from what I read. But I can't see that they are for sale anywhere? Anyone have an update?

I'm curious if the studs "stay put" or get ripped out possibly of the plank wrecking/reshaping the hole which might make replacing them difficult/impossible. Also wonder if the studs shred tires.

Box Rocket

We got a set for the Canguro Racing 200 Series Baja race truck. Truth be told we really don't get stuck much (ever...knock on wood) because the truck is 4WD with an ARB in the rear. But we pull other racers out of massive silt beds a lot. The new Xtremes look legit and I have seen any evidence as of yet of the teeth pulling out. They don't nest as well as the "regular" maxtrax so a stack of 4 will be a bit taller than a stack of 4 regular ones.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Thanks Box Rocket, appreciate the feedback....I saw elsewhere they will be available this spring so maybe we will see them yet.

I'm not so concerned with the nesting height as long as the "studs" dont pull out and leave a misshapen hole that cant have a new stud put in.

Box Rocket

Thanks Box Rocket, appreciate the feedback....I saw elsewhere they will be available this spring so maybe we will see them yet.

I'm not so concerned with the nesting height as long as the "studs" dont pull out and leave a misshapen hole that cant have a new stud put in.
They look good to me and from everything I’ve seen so far they’re holding up well to testing. Should be a solid product.

MTSN

Explorer
Any idea when they're going to hit the market? They were initially supposed to go on sale a year ago, but they got delayed until January 2019. Now that the time is here, I haven't heard of them hitting the market yet. Any news?

JPaul

Observer
Maybe soonish? Ronny Dahl (4Wheeling Australia) had a pair in his hands in a recent video as an example of new recovery gear he was testing and would be doing a video on soon. So they aren't dead at least.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MTSN

Explorer
Maybe soonish? Ronny Dahl (4Wheeling Australia) had a pair in his hands in a recent video as an example of new recovery gear he was testing and would be doing a video on soon. So they aren't dead at least.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That's the issue though...at SEMA 2017 they said they'd be released soon like the beginning of 2018. They didn't get released, but Maxtrax teased them again at SEMA 2018 and said they'd be released soon like Dec18-Jan19. Still nothing at all which makes me think they're having seriously issues with the product if the release has been delayed multiple times. The positive aspect of that is it appears they don't want to release a product that isn't ready for prime time which I applaud, and it underscores how difficult it is to get the product just right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior