butane below freezing

762X39

Explorer
http://www.adventures.net.au/information/butane
Check out this link, it will answer your question. My alcohol stove suffers below freezing unless I preheat and so does my Coleman stove. No biggie if you understand the performance issues of various stove fuels below 0. Decades ago during my Arctic Warfare Course (about -20 C ) in the CF I would preheat the Coleman Stove so that the Sargent would get a hot coffee at 5:00 am and be happy.

KDB

Butane's vapor point is just below freezing. It'll remain liquid below that point and not work with the stove. Isobutane/propane blends have a much lower boiling point (0f and -40f respectively) and thus remain as a gas vapor necessary for using the stove. Lower than 0f go propane. Lower than -40f, kiss your frozen ass goodbye. ;)

perterra

Adventurer
Last edited:
Reactions: KDB

perterra

Adventurer
Has anyone ever tried the iso-butane stoves that you flip the bottle over below freezing? Seems it might drop pressure but maybe theres enough propane in the mix to keep it going until it warms up due to the radiated heat off the stove.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
If you are going to go out below freezing you may need to get a propane or white gas stove. I have used both to -25 F. At that temp it isn't the fuel that becomes the issue it can turn out cheap rubber seals loose their flexibility and get stiff.

Darrell

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Boil water the night before, and put it in a (large) thermos flask.

Use some of the water for the first brew of the day, and pour the rest in to a pan so you sit the gas can in that just bring it above freezing... alternatively, sleep with the gas can in your bedding so that it's warmer.

I've also been known to start to boil water up and then pour a bit over the can to get it going a bit quicker.

Inverting the can does work on some stoves - I had one that you could hear it change the flame as it burnt through the liquid quicker.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Another thought would be to use a full height full wrap windscreen and insulate the canister from the cold ground/snow. This would contain the heat both around the canister and the pot. Of course, just like in the vid above, you need to be able to light it and have it put out enough heat to start warming itself before the pressure dropped too much from expansion.

Darrell

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Backpacking, I have yet to have any trouble with iso-butane, all the way down to 15-20 degrees (F)
You mileage may vary though, as I've heard that different MFG's vary the ratio of butane/propane.

That said, for legit winter backpacking/snow-shoeing trips that anticipate below zero degrees (F) we pack the propane gear as insurance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke