Interior height for over-cab bed

Fatboyz

Observer
I'm working on my U-haul box 550. I have been fretting whether the over cab is tall enough for a reasonable bed. I currently have 32" on the over cab. This is before I add the mattress. Is this enough. I have talked to my aluminum guy about extending the roof on the over-cab up another 12", then tying my roof rack in to maintain the roof lines. For those of you that have this type of over the cab bed is 32" enough. I do want to leave a reasonable soft permanent mattress up there.
Thoughts.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
If I was sleeping in this space anything more than the occasional weekend camping trip I would want to be able to sit up in bed.
With a 6" mattress you will have 24", put a sheet of plywood over your house bed 24" and see how you like crawling in and out from under it.
Minimum would be 36" for me....cab over beds are "kids bunks".

Fatboyz

Observer
My total box isn't big enough for bed in the back with everything else we want to do. I went out today with 2 couch cushions 8" thick. I laid on the overhang on the cushions and it was ok. I remember our old 70's camper not having much head space. I can sit up by just turning my head to the side. I want to have the bed set up all the time so I can grab a quick nap when I want. Also often my wife stays up longer than me so having to make the table into the bed isn't an option. We will have a full (double) size memory foam mattress. In the current holiday trailer we have I added a permanent double bed up front and love it. I'd like to know how high the Earthroamer is, doesn't look very high. I know one Lance camper model is 2' 9", so 33".

rruff

Explorer
My total box isn't big enough for bed in the back with everything else we want to do.

In my arrangement the bed doubles as a couch/seating area. Desks and computers are next to it. It's also a double bed turned sideways.

Last edited:

Fatboyz

Observer
The back wall of ours will have the bathroom on one side, dinette on left side against the wall, and our cubic mini wood stove in the middle on the wall. Dinette will also be our seating area , and will fold down to a spare bed. I am adding a 20" bulk head/cabinet in the very front to make up the 54" needed for the bed. Half the bed (34")will be sitting on the overhang, the rest on the bulk head.

Jo_Duval

Observer
From my perspective and rating future layout with a cabover bed, if you have 24” left between the bed and the top it will feel like a coffin especially if there are two of you the farthest person will be entrapped.

Sleeping on your side will bring your shoulder almost to the ceiling. I like the look of a narrow 24” bunk but I think it needs to be more for comfort

rruff

Explorer
From my perspective and rating future layout with a cabover bed, if you have 24” left between the bed and the top it will feel like a coffin especially if there are two of you the farthest person will be entrapped.

Maybe goes without saying, but if you have a partner with whom you are physcially intimate, a mere 24" gap above the bed is quite limiting! ;)

Jo_Duval

Observer
Does anyone know how to get thru the red tape of safety certification and insurance in ontario ? Considering welding up and installing a subframe myself and installing it on a fuso chassis then installing a box on top. Curious to know if anyone can share how they got insurance and safety certification if you DIY rather than use a truck builder. Thanks in advance
Maybe goes without saying, but if you have a partner with whom you are physcially intimate, a mere 24" gap above the bed is quite limiting! ;)

definetively need to use the kitchen or the outdoors a little more hahaha

Fatboyz

Observer
I know math is hard for some, and a 6" mattress would leave 26". I went out to the truck with two 8" thick couch cushions and laid them on the overhang and climbed up.
I could actually sit up with my head turned to the side. Laying on my side I could come up on my elbow easy. I think this will work out just fine. Here's a pic.
IMG_1394.JPGIMG_1394.JPG

Jo_Duval

Observer
Ah! Not sure where I picked up 24”!
Edit found it from someone else’s post ...

If you can sort of sit I think you will be fine, if you couldn’t and had to crawl in I think it would be less interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier