(partially) new Tundra coming?

rruff

Explorer
You're probably right! All I meant was that it was pretty low profile for its foot print. My Tundra has a load of gratuitous space under the cab and bed. Everything could be lowered substantially without hurting ground clearance if there was any will to do it, but the style is for everything to be tall.

Clutch

<---Pass
I've got a '86 extra cab 2wd. The top is about the same height as the Tundra's hood! I'm 6' and climbing in the cab of the Tundra is an obvious effort, and the tall hood makes it hard to see what's in front. The dysfunctional "style" BS has gotten out of hand. But they are all doing it, so I don't expect that to improve. The T100 profile was sensible for a big truck.

I like the size of the older ones better....they have gotten so fricken yuuuge anymores.

There was a super clean 150K RCLB T100 on the Portland CL for only $5000 yesterday, but looks like someone snapped it up.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've got a '86 extra cab 2wd. The top is about the same height as the Tundra's hood! I'm 6' and climbing in the cab of the Tundra is an obvious effort, and the tall hood makes it hard to see what's in front. The dysfunctional "style" BS has gotten out of hand. But they are all doing it, so I don't expect that to improve. The T100 profile was sensible for a big truck.
I hear ya on the Tundra. I noticed the other day next to one at a traffic light that from my driver's seat I was looking as his front fender lip. I'm in an already fairly sizable 2nd gen Tacoma with 2" of lift and 32" tires. Not uber tall but not exactly low slung. I have visions of Smokey and the Bandit of normal sized cars driving under these full size behemoths except that they aren't really gaining ground clearance.

Dalko43

Explorer
Possible, but I kinda doubt it. The diesel has been rumored forever but makes no sense, and Toyota isn't a "turbo company". They generally go for hybrids for improving mpg... but I don't expect that either.

You're joking, right?

Wallygator

Adventurer
If we were paying $6/gal for gas I could see it, but I don't expect that to happen for a long time. Heck even when gas prices peaked a decade ago, it barely dented the US penchant for V8 trucks.

The Tundra's main selling point is long term reliability. Going high tech to save 1-2mpg doesn't fit that narrative. Even if you don't care about long term, anyone who has done the math has seen that lower depreciation more than makes up for that mpg deficit. I expect the Tundra will stick with a V8 for now.

I suspect it has something more to do with the regulations and required minimum mileage over the entire range of vehicles per the CAFE standards. An yes I think they will still have a v8 option but suspect they may try to compete with the other brands more closely and offer other engine options as well, which again will also help with CAFE. The chase truck in that autoblog link is an F150. The American manufacturers all have turbo motor options as well as diesel motor options. Toyota will have to compete and hopefully they will.

rruff

Explorer
I suspect it has something more to do with the regulations and required minimum mileage over the entire range of vehicles per the CAFE standards.

I don't think they worry too much. In 2016 Toyota was only 36% CAFE compliant. https://consumerfed.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/2016-Fuel-Economy-Report-April-25-2016.pdf

The CAFE regulations are a joke. They way they are now designed it just pushes manufacturers towards making bigger and heavier vehicles. If there was any will to reduce fuel consumption and emissions the defacto vehicle would be a <1000lb electric 1 or 2 seater that gets 200mpge, for urban commuting and short trips. Roads and infrastructure would support small vehicles, and we'd save the 6,000lb behemoths for long trips and times when we need the payload.

dman93

Adventurer
I like the size of the older ones better....they have gotten so fricken yuuuge anymores.

There was a super clean 150K RCLB T100 on the Portland CL for only $5000 yesterday, but looks like someone snapped it up.
If my T100 had been an AccessCab I might still have it. I mean, I had anXtraCab so Space wasn’t the issue, but it was hard to use the space behind the front seats in the real world, even though there was a lot of room there, because of access. I miss that truck more every day.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I don't think they worry too much. In 2016 Toyota was only 36% CAFE compliant. https://consumerfed.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/2016-Fuel-Economy-Report-April-25-2016.pdf

The CAFE regulations are a joke. They way they are now designed it just pushes manufacturers towards making bigger and heavier vehicles. If there was any will to reduce fuel consumption and emissions the defacto vehicle would be a <1000lb electric 1 or 2 seater that gets 200mpge, for urban commuting and short trips. Roads and infrastructure would support small vehicles, and we'd save the 6,000lb behemoths for long trips and times when we need the payload.

Toyota was only 36 percent compliant because of the way the standards work. All of Toyota's "all new" vehicles for 2016 met the standards. Regardless, Toyota will produce a more efficient Tundra in 2021 as they pretty much have to in order to stay competitive. Toyota has been sitting back for far too long on redoing the Tundra. They need to come out with another haymaker like they did in 2007.

Dalko43

Explorer
Toyota was only 36 percent compliant because of the way the standards work. All of Toyota's "all new" vehicles for 2016 met the standards. Regardless, Toyota will produce a more efficient Tundra in 2021 as they pretty much have to in order to stay competitive. Toyota has been sitting back for far too long on redoing the Tundra. They need to come out with another haymaker like they did in 2007.

Agree. The current Tundra is good. The next Tundra will need to be even better. I don't think Toyota will fret too much over driver amenities and ride comfort. I do think they will focus on better fuel economy and improved towing/payload specs.

The only ways I see for Toyota to improve the Tundra's fuel economy in any significant way (that doesn't involve a totally neutered engine....ahem, Tacoma) is to go with a hybrid solution or a diesel. Turbo-gasolines, while they do offer some torque advantages, will only offer marginal fuel economy increases for a heavy-duty truck like the Tundra. I predict, or hope, that Toyota will offer a standard gasoline v8 in addition to some hybrid or diesel option.

Clutch

<---Pass
If my T100 had been an AccessCab I might still have it. I mean, I had anXtraCab so Space wasn’t the issue, but it was hard to use the space behind the front seats in the real world, even though there was a lot of room there, because of access. I miss that truck more every day.

That is the one thing I wish my 1st Gen had, was Access doors. While not huge issue...still would be nice for getting gear in and out.

Funny I never really paid attention to the T100 when it was new, thought it was a bit odd, now I find myself seeking them out in the classifieds.

(that doesn't involve a totally neutered engine....ahem, Tacoma)

Toyotas have always been under powered, their early trucks weren't meant to blast 80 mph down the highway, meant for working on farms and running around town making deliveries. But that is why the Tacoma was born, America is a different market than overseas. We are all about bigger, better, faster...and it shows for how bloated these trucks have become. It is almost comical. Have been seeing a lot of new GM's running around...the grill on those things, good gawd....it is like people are driving a wall around. I just don't see the point of all of it...are We really that insecure, that we need all that plumage and chest puffing? :) :D

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That is the one thing I wish my 1st Gen had, was Access doors. While not huge issue...still would be nice for getting gear in and out.
The suicide doors are one of the primary reasons I would buy a 2nd gen again. It was something I never realized I needed until I had them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94