Shiftpod tent

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I can second this review. ^^^^ While we wait for our next/new vehicle to be built, we are using a gazelle. Not a 4 season shelter, but good, easy camping.

I may upgrade to a shiftpod for elk camp.

Fronty2011

Camping trip went well. We got some major wind gusts and a couple other tents had issues but the shiftpod didnt even budge and I only did 3 of the 6 stakes. At night (50's) we closed both doors and all but 2 windows and it stayed nice inside. During the day (high 70's, maybe 80) we opened all windows and the door like in the picture and it was all good, never used the fan. Definitely happy with it.
98b30c3b398a2c4fb592064f1f76e9bf.jpg
3ba495c1cc9b65633998b7adc81fda1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

swduncan

Observer
I've got the Clam screen tent. It's too hot to sit in most of the time. Heavy, sturdy, sets up really fast, but the only place it worked really well was on the beach at Cape Lookout where the wind kept it cool enough, being strong enough to get through the mesh.

Turn that into a non-breathing tent and it will be a nightmare in the summer heat or damp.

Can't imagine sleeping in that microwave oven in the southern Missouri summer heat.

Similar here: http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/index.php/clam/shelters.html. They have a screen version.

huachuca

Adventurer
I've got the Clam screen tent. It's too hot to sit in most of the time. Heavy, sturdy, sets up really fast, but the only place it worked really well was on the beach at Cape Lookout where the wind kept it cool enough, being strong enough to get through the mesh.

Turn that into a non-breathing tent and it will be a nightmare in the summer heat or damp.

Any ideas as to the wind speeds you saw while on Cape Lookout? We camp on Portsmouth a couple of times each year and sometimes need help with the bugs.

swduncan

Observer
I'm going to guess 20-30mph. It was constant. I did guy out the Clam, and even had to guy the center ring on the sides that were facing the wind. But, that shelter made the trip - a tarp was much, much harder to keep erected, and didn't keep the bugs out.

I brought a spray bottle of permethrin (I'd meant to spray before we left but didn't get to it) and after I sprayed the whole clam the nasty green biting flies were history. It was either sit in the Clam, or sit in the wind :cool:

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Looking to "revive" this thread a bit as I'm now keenly interested in how the shiftpod could work in elk camp. For this purpose I would think the "snow pole" would be a good accessory and also I would end up cutting/insulating a smoke stack hole in the top for a wood stove. (Although the idea of using a propane stove and the AC vent is intriguing.

The one thing that bothers me is that every picture I see that's taken from the inside of the tent makes it look as though the stitching is absolutely not waterproof and the thing would leak like a sieve. Fronty, do you have any more nights under your belt to confirm/deny that assessment?

digitalnomad

Looks nice for a fair weather day in the freezing winter. Once a front comes through and the wind starts blowing, I'm out of there.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Actually, for wind I would take this tent anywhere. I can't imagine a large tent more suitable for wind. But the stitching seems concerning. If you look on the photo here (reposted from above) in the upper right corner, what's up with that?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the interwebs, which is dubious.

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Actually, for wind I would take this tent anywhere. I can't imagine a large tent more suitable for wind. But the stitching seems concerning. If you look on the photo here (reposted from above) in the upper right corner, what's up with that?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the interwebs, which is dubious.

Some good info and real world info here:

https://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/shiftpod.6168/

We just purchased an S2, and am eagerly awaiting delivery sometime this week or next. As soon as we get it, photos and a test run into the wilds of Arizona are planned. More to come...

Kingsize24

Some good info and real world info here:

https://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/shiftpod.6168/

We just purchased an S2, and am eagerly awaiting delivery sometime this week or next. As soon as we get it, photos and a test run into the wilds of Arizona are planned. More to come...

Please do. We almost purchased one last week, but I sent them an e-mail with a few questions before we did. Still waiting on that response, but if the answers are what I think they are, we will most likely purchase this for the kids to sleep in with a Honeywell A/C unit we already have during the HOT Texas summer months. The wife and I will still sleep in our M1101 trailer as normal, but the RTT isn't cutting it for them as far as heat goes from June through August.

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Thanks I will be curious to hear your report. That forum thread was really informative.

Agreed. Especially where Dave Bennet compares it to his previous builds, and FWC, Flippac, etc. and prefers the ShiftPod to all of them. Serious testimony.

Please do. We almost purchased one last week, but I sent them an e-mail with a few questions before we did. Still waiting on that response, but if the answers are what I think they are, we will most likely purchase this for the kids to sleep in with a Honeywell A/C unit we already have during the HOT Texas summer months. The wife and I will still sleep in our M1101 trailer as normal, but the RTT isn't cutting it for them as far as heat goes from June through August.

I just got the tracking notice that we are scheduled for delivery tomorrow, so sunlight permitting there will definitely be a backyard set up. We are slated to head to a remote area off of the Apache Trail here in AZ in the coming weeks...our first test with the ShiftPod and our camping black labs.

Stay tuned...(y)

ravenfan1016

Hi I appreciate everyones comments on the Shiftpod. I purchased last December 2018 and setup a couple weeks ago. It goes up easily enough but its pretty heavy to haul around if its one person. I'm planning on buying the Thule XL force rooftop carrier to place it in but the logistics of propping it up on back of truck bed and getting into the rooftop container seem a bit awkward. I was going to just use the rooftop cross bars Tacoma DC W/Rhino Rack, but thought it might need more protection from wind and rain? Any thoughts much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5902.JPG
    IMG_5902.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 41

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
I echo the above sentiments with respect to weight. This is a serious lug for one man, much better with two.

Took delivery of the Shiftpod2 last week, and just got around to unpacking and deploying it this afternoon.

57195887903__57EEB987-0507-4BBC-8F91-0F283695C4DE.JPG

First impressions: this shelter is stout, and well made.

I had a bit of a time figuring out which way the unzipped floor went in, but once I did, this was a snap of a set up. I'll just chalk it up to unfamiliar territory...;)

It came with all the stuffs (tent stakes, guy lines, instructions, ear plugs, and eye shades), as well as an easy to read and follow instruction sheet.

We will be camping with our Shiftpod2 in a couple of weeks, and I'll post some more photos then. The bonus for us is that our black labs will be able to sleep comfortably with us, and no more cramming them into the cab of the Tacoma at night.

All around very happy with this purchase. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles