Dana 60 Super Duty front coil sprung axle assembly question.

gaetzjm

Does anyone know if the larger 14.3" front brakes from 2013+ Ford F350 will fit on an earlier axle, from say year 2008-2010?
I'm starting another 4x4 conversion, this time on a NOS 2006 E450 Ambulance that has 1:410 rear differential gearing and would like to match preferably without doing a crown/pinion regear. Fronts with the 4.10 ratio I understand ended in 2010. Having the larger brakes would be great considering the Ambulance GVRW of 14,500 Lbs.
Thanks for any insights.

gaetzjm

I found out from Michael at Expovan that the larger brakes from 2013-2016 front axles don't fit the 2005-2012 axles. The caliper mounting bracket holes on the knuckles are further apart.The hubs do remain the same.
Btw, Expovan is having a group buy on their Coil 4x4 conversion kit until February 15.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Don't sweat the brakes. The '08 brakes should be plenty. Switch to a higher quality rotor and EBC pads if you'd like.

I don't feel that my newer trucks were much better stopping than my '08, with the OEM parts at least.

gaetzjm

Hey there Viking with a Hammer, I appreciate your comments. Finding an year 08-10 1:4.10 ratio axle would simplify things.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Here is an angle to consider, an open diff sucks!
You will likely find if you are in snow, mud, wet grass, etc.with a heavy vehicle, that you will want a diff in the front so re-gearing isn't so much of an issue "while you are in there".
I'm on my second conversion, and in the same position as you needed to match an existing 4.10 ratio rear. I found there was far less availability of 4.10 or even 4.30 ratio fronts.
I chose a low mile 2015 axle with 3.73 gears with the plan to re-gear and add a tru-trac (which I like in a current van) to the front in the future.

gaetzjm

Lenovo.Barron,
Yes you're right, Ford discontinued the 4.10 ratio in 2010. I went on car-part.com and found 08-10 ones in SRW and DRW and I bought a 2008 DRW 4.10 assembly with 43K kilometers yesterday.

brian94ht,
"While you are in there" is a great point. In my previous conversation, which I sold a couple of weeks ago, I also used a 2015 2.73 axle, but left it open, whick was ok for my mild useage. Do you use a locker in the rear?

gaetzjm

I tried to send a .jpg pic but couldn't get it to work, even after resizing down under 100k. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz