2002 Xterra: The Green Bean! (mild/noob build!)

landypants

Hi All!

Long time lurker, first time posting here. Nice to meet you all. I’ve been looking to get into overlanding for a while (got hooked by ADV rider) and I am finally in a financial/time position to do so. Last week I picked up a 2002 Alpine Green Xterra. I’ve loved these first gens since they came out, especially the round headlight facelifted models. I’m kinda bummed I didn’t get a yellow one, since that was what my 10-year-old self would have wanted, but I think the green is a nice color.

I live in Colorado and I’m looking forward to exploring some of the back roads in the region. I don’t think I will be doing anything too extreme, but I wanted to be able to get muddy and have some fun. I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to vehicle mods, but I would like to do most of the work myself to improve my skills and knowledge, as well as be able to do basic field repairs. A couple places I am looking forward to getting lost: Moab/Canyonlands, the Alpine Loop in southwest CO, Engineers’ Pass (but I am not sure I will be ready for that for a few years), the back route up into Great Sand Dunes National Park, around Buena Vista, and the tracks around Central City. More than open to suggestions as well!

I was mostly looking at early Xterra’s and Jeep XJ’s (and some 4 wheel vans), here are a couple of things that went into my decision:
-liked that it was a box on frame
-for the price, I could get a much better condition Xterra than XJ
-vans were way expensive
-Seemed like nissan’s had a good reliability-to-price value
-didn’t want to spend the money for a toyota since this is my first build
-Hoping to go to 33s, so from the research I did, I don’t think that I will have to regear.
-I liked it when I drove it, better than the stock XJ that I used to own.
-couldn’t afford any of the 4wd vans that were worth buying

The truck:
-140k (timing belt done at 88k)
-Auto
-4.9 gearing (according to the door sticker)
-Wheels are 4 newish ProComp 32s, worn out 32” tires from PO that rub
-Pretty clean body, there are a few dents
-Interior is very clean, one quarter sized hole in the driver seat fabric

The not so good:
-Steering is a little loose, so would like to address that at some point, but not an immediate concern
-ABS light is on
-Needs tires
-Needs a tune up- plugs, fluid flush, etc
-Need to replace the air intake, someone ductaped the seal, (snorkel maybe?)
-I think the knock sensor code came up on the emissions cert (passed) but the Check engine light is not on.

The plan:
-2” diy body lift- pucks ordered from Zone Offroad, gonna pick up the other hardware from ace this week
-33” Cooper Discoverer AT3’s: I read the review that the main EP site did on these and it seems to me that they are just what I need, at a good price point
-Idler Arm Brace
-New Wheel and tire for matching full size spare
-Inspection from my mechanic to see what else I need/what I missed.
-Sleeping platform in the back for me and the girlfriend, with two long pull out drawers, one for storage and one for a camp kitchen. I am also toying with the idea of scooping up a cheap older pop up camper (I’m especially tempted by the hardside Apache pop ups) for camping adventures, since the X came with a factory towing package

Since I am pretty new to this, there are a few questions I have that I would like your expertise on. I’ve done a good amount of research but I figured I would run this by y’all to see if there is anything glaring that I am missing:

-Should I be considering anything else for my immediate plan
-is there any routine maintenance that I missed/should plan for
-Is there any reason not to stick with the ProComp 32’s? I like the look of them.
-Anyone think there’s a better choice than the AT3s?
-What spare parts/ tools should I have to be prepared for some basic overlanding?
-Do I need to get the knock sensor issue sorted to get the ECU/whole truck back to top performance? I saw that some people solder in a resistor to bypass… I don’t think that's the way I would go through.

Thanks for reading and any advice you can give to a noob like me!

PS if this is not the right place to post, mods please move or let me know how to do so… new to posting on forums as well!
IMG_20180326_191542972_zps2caeaexv.JPGIMG_20180326_191558401_zps3k8gtuam.JPG

Triplesnake

Adventurer
Nice X! You can have a lot of fun in these trucks. They are also pretty easy to work on for the most part. I did head gaskets on ours in my driveway and I'm no pro mechanic. I wouldn't worry much about the knock sensor. From what I understand, it doesn't really do anything on the non-supercharged trucks. Also, it is a PITA to get to. If I remember correctly, you have to pull the whole intake off if you want to actually replace the sensor.

That should be a nice trail rig. We have 2 Xterras- my sons 2000 NA 4x4 and my 2004 SC RWD that I'm converting to 4x4. When we rebuilt his motor we opted to place the knock sensor on top of the intake and rewired the hot lead right to it, works great. Do a YouTube search for "xterra knock sensor relocation cose P0325." As far as tires, the pro Comps are great but a tad overkill on the gear ratio, IMHO, we live in Las Vegas and his BFG P265/70/16 C load seem to have a nice balance between fuel economy and ruggedness for the trails around here. Also, check out Andrew Whites 4XOverland channel on YouTube, Lots of great detailed info regarding tires, gear, tools, etc. Good luck on your build

bushnut

Adventurer
congrats on the X! I've got an 02 in red.
first off watch this....
all of his stuff on the 1st gen x is spot on.
next spend some time at xterranation.org, lots of DIY and how to stuff as well.
As an OL truck my biggest complaint with the X (had a Pathfinder previously) the load capacity is crap. I'm about to install a AC (4x4parts.com) lift, using AAL springs and new UCAs. I'll post a review when I'm done.
The steering issue....I'm also going to try a Rancho steering stabilizer, we'll see how it goes.

I had did the Knock sensor relocation on my Pathfinder(same engine) and had no more issues.

ray=out

I'd recommend a OE Nissan knock sensor if you decide to replace it. The aftermarket knock sensors are very hit and miss on this generation of Nissans. For the sloppy steering, check your center link and idler arm on your steering system for worn bushings; these are a common cause for the play/slop in the steering.

landypants

Hey All, just wanted to do a quick update. One of my UCA sheared while i was driving (that was crappy) so I sent it into RSG Offroad and they hooked me up with a 2" nisstec lift to replace it, new center link, and some 32" Toyo tires. The bean is cool! Unfortunately since then, I think there is something going on with the fuel or distributor, this week it stopped starting- turns over fine, can hear the fuel pump, but no start. I'm going to replace the distributor and see if that takes care of it. I also bought a viking pop up trailer and took it to Moab. Right now, I am thinking about either building in a cabinet for storage in the back or trading in for a van... we shall see.side.jpeghammock.jpegDrawing.jpegIMG_20180528_082752835.jpgside.jpeghammock.jpegfront.jpegDrawing.jpegIMG_20180528_082752835.jpg

Reactions: MCX

OutdoorAZ

Nice looking xterra! Sounds like a little tlc and you would have an awesome platform to explore just about anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles