Repost: Diesel Is Making A Comeback

Saint Nick

today's diesel is nothing more than bragging rights amongst those who think that making an expensive truck payment enlarges their genitelia.
:eek: Errr, ok, I'll take your word for that ;)

Eventually to keep meeting ever tightening emissions standards they are going to start putting particulate filters and hamstring gasoline/petrol engines with expensive and failure prone equipment the same way they did Diesel, this could spark a resurgence in Diesel power as PEV takes over the ICE.. I would not be surprised if in the end of all this its Gas/Petrol cars that are entirely phased out first, while Diesel sticks around for decades covering the gaps that EV tech struggles to make sense in
Exactly (y)(y)(y)

Nick

Badmiker

GPF's are already employed on DI petrol engines.
As for the reliability of DPF/GPF technology, the latest HW are perfectly robust. I would not think twice about a DPF/GPF equipped vehicle for a commuter if I needed one. However, I live in a city that has fantastic public transport, huge amounts of electric vehicles, cheap taxis, and weather I can bicycle in the 13km to and from work during the spring, summer, and fall months.

Saint Nick

However, I live in a city that has fantastic public transport, huge amounts of electric vehicles, cheap taxis, and weather I can bicycle in the 13km to and from work during the spring, summer, and fall months
So, Utopia does exist! :cool: (I bet the fuel stations still sell diesel though ;))

Nick

Badmiker

So, Utopia does exist! :cool: (I bet the fuel stations still sell diesel though ;))

Nick
Well... not everyone likes Shanghai but we do. As for diesel... only trucks and vans use it really. Virtually all cars are petrol or electric. Almost all of the 2 wheeled transportation is electric. The Metro is electric, the Maglev is electric.... In a city of 27million even traffic is reasonable. Better than that of London or Birmingham or LA or SF or Paris........etc. But to be back on track, I am currently developing a CN6 Diesel application with DPF/SCR technology on a ~3l engine for light van use. There are still projects coming down the line for HD and MD but like I mentioned before, Pass-Car is rapidly declining.

NOx is only terrible in cities w/smog issues and high population concentrations tbh, outside those cities with low population density emitting NOx is better than emitting CO2.. NOx will break down into fertilizer in the order of days/weeks without ever reaching dangerous concentrations, CO2 will remain free in the atmosphere for many decades.
Wrong; the CO2 will take millennia to get drawn down and buried. Paleoclimatologists estimate we may have disrupted orbitally forced periodic glaciations and the current interstadial may last up to 500,000 years instead of only 5-10000 years. Not that it’s an unmitigated disaster but sea level rise certainly is.
I agree with your basic premise; by “deleting” my X5 diesel in a non smog town and reducing CO2 emissions by 10% I am doing the world a favor.
If I did live in Shanghai or London priorities would be different. But living there I would use public transportation.
BTW: how is electricity generated in Shanghai? Coal? China is the #1 coal burner. CO2 emission per kilowatt of work at the wheels may be better or worse for diesel vs coal-electric, the answer is not intuitively obvious.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The UPS guy told me no more diesels after they die a natural death. The emissions on newer trucks just don't like stop and go.

Both UPS and Fedex around here are nearly converted to 100% gasser already.
Very few diesels left. I'm sure the cold weather stop/go has a lot to do with it.

Buddy of mine driving for Fedex sure likes his 6.2 6-speed truck.
Heaps better than the noisy and stinky cummins powered ruck he used to drive.
Only downside is that by the time I hear him, he's already done his business and is back on the go pedal.
Rarely even get to say hello anymore!!

dman93

Adventurer
Some interesting commentary and opinions here. The flaw is the thread title ... at least in the US, rather than a comeback, personal-use diesel seems to be fading quickly, hardly making a comeback, and commercial light duty is following quickly. In our town buses and garbage trucks seem to have shifted to CNG over the last few years. I know few people with diesel HD trucks, but at least two of them switched to gasoline recently (one Ford, one RAM). We do have one neighbor who owns a diesel Ford, VW, and BMW.

onemanarmy

Explorer
UPS/fedex/USPS local delivery need to be electric. They are setup perfect for it. Set route, known mileage everyday, and home base every night.

The cost savings from lower maintenance would have to be immense.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Interesting that all the countries that will ban or say they will diesel or internal combustion engine vehicles in the near future are SMALL countries with a smaller geographic highway systems. EV can work for most driver's in these small countries. Probably a good idea.

The cities that say they are banning the same types of internal combustion vehicles are HUGE cluster phucks of a city (HUGE Population) were it really does make sense to eliminate internal combustion engines given their current horrific air quality and replace all this with EV vehicles and large expenditure's on public transportation. The two loner's as far as countries are concerned are India and China who say they might make changes IF it makes Sense. That means Dollars and Cents! Of course NOBODY cares at all what the French people will do!

The geographic's in LARGE land mass countries such as the US, Russia, Australia and many countries in Africa and South America have much tougher decisions to make as technology is no where near what is currently needed to replace the internal combustion transportation fleet in these large geographic land mass countries with many varying topographies.

The expenditure of public capital by most large and medium size cities in the US on public transportation is so political and therefore the resulting decisions that are made are rarely if ever what is truly needed to solve their metropolitan transportation issues. There's that money thing again as who is going to pay for it? Remember as a Public Official I want to get re-elected and HUGE public transportation projects that RAISE MY CONSTITUENT'S TAXES are not conducive to getting me re-elected!!! What's more important? Air Quality or ME GETTING RE-ELECTED?

I believe we ALL know that answer to that question!

With ALL the CURRENT PUBLIC INFRASTRUCTURE across the USA that needs major rebuilding/improvement (roads, sewers, bridges, water systems and more) Air Quality is just one more issue looking for money.

Chances are good I'll be dead within the next 30 years so I really don't care about the air quality in big cities HOWEVER I do care about the roads, sewers, bridges, water systems and the like that I NOW USE EVERYDAY that currently in many cases is 50-100 years old and needing LOT'S OF WORK to continue to properly service the public! Once again due to the ineptness of elected public officials the infrastructure throughout the USA is in TERRIBLE condition and getting worse!

CLEAN WATER IS BY FAR A MUCH BIGGER ISSUE in many places on the planet than Local Air Quality. I can find lot's of places left on the planet to go with decent air quality HOWEVER most of those places with good air quality AIN'T GOT NO CLEAN WATER and I can only go 3-4 days without water before I am a dead ********!

In today's world it's all a matter of which political group SQUEALS the loudest to get the TV/Press Coverage and get their message out to the citizens of the USA given the HEARD mentality of most citizens in the USA. They follow the HERD and repeat what they HEARD all with little or no investigation on their part of the true aspects of the issue of which they are now "So Passionate"!

Nothin ever seems to change!!!

Last edited:

dierkz

Lol... the entire fleet where I work is changing from diesel to gas. With the advancement in gas motors, diesels are making less and less sense. In fact, we did a cost to benefit analysis and under no circumstances did diesel motors make sense.

Now that Ford is releasing the 7.3 "Godzilla " I see even fewer reason to buy a diesel in the future.
Same process is going through to my uncle's work place. He's planning to get his truck on process as well. We are installing a new set of AT tires and rockstar wheels on his Ram and will start with the conversion next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier