Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

HowardH

Adventurer
Hi Gabe, nice to see you out and using your camper. I can read between the lines of this odyssey of a thread and know how much time and effort - heart and soul - you have put into this build. Makes me really happy to see you enjoying it. Super awesome!!!

java

Expedition Leader
Hi Gabe, nice to see you out and using your camper. I can read between the lines of this odyssey of a thread and know how much time and effort - heart and soul - you have put into this build. Makes me really happy to see you enjoying it. Super awesome!!!

Thanks Howard, it really has been a dream build truck, and we enjoy the hell out of it!

java

Expedition Leader
After a brutal Crossfit games workout Friday evening, we jumped in the truck and headed East. Sunset was great, until we found a head on accident..... Parked and jumped in the back and had dinner.

46365465585_a1beefec64_b.jpg

No new snow, plus weekend lines means skins cam out! Fun time, we did two full runs, and one later in the night with the pooch. 3200ft in elevation gain over the day, not bad!
46365467145_f3c45909a0_b.jpg

Skins off at the top!
46365470415_285ec3a24b_b.jpg

Nightime shenanigans.
46556830474_8a44214e42_b.jpg

46365472745_c833a3f9d5_b.jpg

Truck has been great again :D

Fatboyz

Observer
Hey Gabe, what are you at for weight loaded for your rig. I'm 5100 rear and 5000 front but my box isn't built out yet. With it being -35+ for the last month I'm still star gazing about tires and wheels. I talked to the owner at 1st Attack Engineering last week. Very informative discussion. I was wondering about MPT 275 80R 20's and if they made a narrower rim. After a good chat I still need to see what my final weight is but if possible Toyo MT 37X 13.50 might work. They have a 3860 lb weight rating. 1st Attack has rum them on a bunch of their super single conversions.

java

Expedition Leader
Hey Gabe, what are you at for weight loaded for your rig. I'm 5100 rear and 5000 front but my box isn't built out yet. With it being -35+ for the last month I'm still star gazing about tires and wheels. I talked to the owner at 1st Attack Engineering last week. Very informative discussion. I was wondering about MPT 275 80R 20's and if they made a narrower rim. After a good chat I still need to see what my final weight is but if possible Toyo MT 37X 13.50 might work. They have a 3860 lb weight rating. 1st Attack has rum them on a bunch of their super single conversions.

I'm at 14240 ish. 6200 front. Remember though my wheel base is stretched 3' so it loads the front up a bit more. Batteries are just above the rear axle and water tank is just forward.

My research said no on the 275 Mpt81's, yes they are rated (barely) for the weight, but not the speed. They get soft fast at highway speeds heavy.

@worthexploring is running a 37x13.5 Falken (iirc), he was just over their rating and hadn't had issues last I talked to him.

1st attack would be the company I used for a single had I not found these wheels. Great to talk to and best reviewed products I have found. But.... Still the same issue of a flat plate welded center wheel.

Fatboyz

Observer
I'm at 14240 ish. 6200 front. Remember though my wheel base is stretched 3' so it loads the front up a bit more. Batteries are just above the rear axle and water tank is just forward.

My research said no on the 275 Mpt81's, yes they are rated (barely) for the weight, but not the speed. They get soft fast at highway speeds heavy.

@worthexploring is running a 37x13.5 Falken (iirc), he was just over their rating and hadn't had issues last I talked to him.

1st attack would be the company I used for a single had I not found these wheels. Great to talk to and best reviewed products I have found. But.... Still the same issue of a flat plate welded center wheel.
What's the issue with a flat plate welded wheel?

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Can I ask if you have gotten any crap, or have tips for sleeping in your rig in the Ski Area Parking lots?

I was under the impression it is pretty normal, though most prefer you buy a lift ticket. I was booted, ( albeit nicely) from Stevens a few weekends back, just curious what the etiquette is,

Thanks

java

Expedition Leader
Can I ask if you have gotten any crap, or have tips for sleeping in your rig in the Ski Area Parking lots?

I was under the impression it is pretty normal, though most prefer you buy a lift ticket. I was booted, ( albeit nicely) from Stevens a few weekends back, just curious what the etiquette is,

Thanks

It varies by Ski area..... Some are cool, some will immediately kick you out, some will boot you. Stevens wants you to buy a RV parking spot to stay overnight.... And they sell out, quickly, in advance....

Chorky

Observer
It varies by Ski area..... Some are cool, some will immediately kick you out, some will boot you. Stevens wants you to buy a RV parking spot to stay overnight.... And they sell out, quickly, in advance....

So with that, whats your success rate in finding a local FS road that is unoccupied to camp at?

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I laugh, as I just discovered that in the stevens pass area: and a lot actually have steel gates across them. I would of been unable to get in, and i have a fairly capable truck. I found it interesting as, on the dryer side of Oregon, they ave a lot of snow parks, and forest service roads you are able to work your way into.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
I laugh, as I just discovered that in the stevens pass area: and a lot actually have steel gates across them. I would of been unable to get in, and i have a fairly capable truck. I found it interesting as, on the dryer side of Oregon, they ave a lot of sno parks, and forest service roads you are able to work your way into.

Snow parks off highway 97 are accessible.

java

Expedition Leader
Played Ski Chalet again this weekend. Love this truck. Drove up late Friday, and drove home late Sunday. Easy to drive and so awesome! I'm happy.

33483614078_0b91180742_b.jpg

Question for you guys......
Titan Fuel tank, worth it? I don't mind stopping for gas really, but avoiding Canada gas prices would be nice.... I have heard the 51 gallon is about the same depth as factory and the 57 and 61 both hang lower. Any experience? Anyone have a used one? :D

Picked up a new awning on the way home thru BC, hope to have that on soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles