Frame and Body Together or Separate?

Tagdog

I have browsed thru a lot of nice build on this forum. Most what I see is people welding their frame and body together. I keep thinking I want to build them in two separate pieces. If has any links to someone doing this, it would be great to look at.

If I build the body separate, it seems like it would be easier to powder coat.
Also, if I do build the body separate, and powder coat, do I do that with the doors and hinges on?
I know these are some basic questions, but I have not had the luxury of seeing one of these trailers up close in person.
What do the bigger companies do? Do they make the body separate?

The m101a1 and a2 (a3 also?) were long running military trailers with a body on frame. The frame itself can be lifted by one person easily and has some flex, but is also capable of carrying over 2000 pounds.

The trailer “frame” part is known as the m116 and when a 500lb body is placed on top becomes the familiar m101a1, m101a2, etc.

I’m currently building out a m116 based overland trailer. I bought an m101a1 and pulled off the body, derated the springs by pulling two leafs from each side, shortening the rear of the frame one foot, swapping in a Dexter 3500lb axle with trailer and parking brakes (to retain the per-wheel brake lever function) and dropping on an old Sears Bradley 6 foot trailer box. I’m also leaving an extra foot of frame up front ahead of the trailer box, as that’s what I’m seeeing many m416 owners adding. I’m shooting for ~700lbs when I’m done.

The Bradley trailer box will be bolt on so I can use the M116 as a base for other projects in the future.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
For what it is worth, the early Bantam and M100 trailers had the body welded to the frame although created separately. The next version, the M416 and its various configurations had bolt on bodies. I have no idea if that was more for ease of maintenance or if a problem was discovered. I currently have a couple of trailers (one 416 and one home built knock off of a 416) that the tubs are bolted to the frames and I have not had any issues with flex damaging mounting bolts nor bolts coming loose. It definitely makes is easier when modifications need to be made to the tub or the frame.

CampStewart

Observer
The most compact and lightest way to build it is in one piece. If you don't mind heavier and taller by a few inches then body on frame has many advantages

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior