Help please: Which construction material/method will work best for my trailer goals?

Ryodan

Getting ready to do a trailer build based on a truck bed trailer that I am getting a great deal on. I need to decide which method of construction to go with and could use a little help so I can focus my research. The current plan is to build a shell (haven't found one that works for me that I can just buy used, the trailer I have is an older bed size) I am considering doing a pop-up that raises only on the rear for more headroom and has canvas sides for the pop-up section.

I'm trying to figure out which construction method would best meet my goals.
  1. Durable enough to stand up to vibrations on dirt roads
  2. Strong enough to mount a swing out awning to one side.
  3. Strong enough to put weight on top ie: small roof rack, a canoe, maybe kayaks or mountain bikes, heaviest possible load would be an ice chest but I intend to put that inside.
  4. strong enough I can stand on it to tie the above items down well (obviously this would be when the trailer is not in motion)
  5. strong enough to leave the cargo on the roof when the pop-up is up.

My friend has a shop I can use for some of the fabrication work and he is willing to help me which is great. Sadly welding aluminum isn't an option.

I'm considering both wood and aluminum frames (keep in mind no aluminum welding) and for skins PMF (over wood, foam, or a combination), real fiberglass (unsure of cost on that), or aluminum. I don't have a preference as for the cosmetics, I am only looking at function. If aluminum welding will be vastly superior I can try and find a welder, I know many but don't know who welds aluminum and accepts beer for payment yet.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you guys, can't wait to my build thread.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
Aluminum over wood. Maybe get a welder to create an aluminum frame and then you can use pop rivets and seam sealer to attach siding/roof/walls. This would be lighter, water resistant, and unfortunately more expensive than wood or steel.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Fibreglass/polyurethane foam/fibreglass sandwich panel.
Cut it out with a jig saw, glue it together with Sikaflex 252 with aluminium angles over external joins. Cut a hole, glue in a window....
Easy, quick, superb strength, extreme durability, light weight, superb insulation, frameless, no cold connections, excellent finish inside and out. Expensive material.
My OKA motorhome body (in the avatar) was fabricated using this material 15 years ago and is still superb.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

krick3tt

Adventurer
I used a HF frame and welded up an angle frame and used sheet metal that was pop riveted to the angles. Works well and seems to be holding up as it sits outside and has for years.
the top is also an angle frame that overlaps the sides and has inset 3/8 inch plywood, and is held up by 1/4 inch rods when required.
the top is removable so it can be used as a utility trailer.
Over time additional changes have been made

Attachments

• DSC02600.JPG
    DSC02600.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC02604.JPG
    DSC02604.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC03767.JPG
    DSC03767.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

old_CWO

There are still a few custom shell manufacturers out there. I am thinking of Bel Aire in CA, Caravan in Reno and BobTop in OR off the top of my head. A company somewhere in NorCal does high end full custom commercial type tops - can't remember their name...

I wonder if there is someone closer to you that does that kind of work. A couple of years ago I had BobTop quote me a completely custom aluminum topper for an odd shaped truck bed and I recall the price being reasonable; might be something to look into.

opp

Observer
Where do you get it and how much does it cost per square foot?
I made my own out side skins 1.5 oz mat 7 oz woven 1.5 and 1'' hd foam with holes inside 3./4oz mat 7 oz woven 3/4 mat made on some old glass But the shell on mine is made from fiber glass trailtop / railtop cost about $ 3.00 T0 $3.50 A SQ FOOT for the skins the frame is $9.00 US PER run foot . I found its cheaper to have the rail made at a local fiberglass shop. just cut and bond .Stronger than steel pound for pound.

Attachments

• Picture 416 S.jpg
    Picture 416 S.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Ryodan

Sorry for the delayed response, apparently responding here from work doesn't work.

Had my friend who is helping with the project over last night and we decided to take the trailer and handle the lift before planning the shell. Good Idea because I really don't know yet how high I can go without hitting my height limit (my garage door)

Apparently his aluminum welding skills have dramatically improved in the last few years so that is an option.

Is there a difference as far how hot the interior would get in the sun between aluminum or PMF over wood? I'm leaning towards aluminum at present but really like the PMF look.

opp

Observer
aluminum will get hotter and cost if you are in the USA tariffs. There a gent that just built a fiberglass skeleton frame with aluminum signboard bought doors and windows 10 x 5 x5 sides .21 hours for full trailer build

Ryodan

Good point on the tariffs and aluminum prices. I am leaning towards the sandwich panels, I'll focus my reading on those. Thank you guys.

opp

Observer
When coming down to the lower 48 don't smuggle drugs diamond plate is where the cash is

XPLRMOR

I've thought about building a camper shell to mount on a trailer frame using 80/20 extrusions for the frame and aluminum skinned foam or honeycomb panels for walls and a composite floor such as what is used in the boat building circles for decking, all attached to the frame using adhesive. This would be relatively easy to build, lightweight with no external fasteners to leak and no wood for rot mold or mildew. Sad thing is I don't have time for such a project and will probably go the manufactured unit route so I can enjoy it with my kids before they grow up! Good luck with your build!

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Almost finished with this one..... albeit only a big tongue box..... but any composite with a medium in center will make for a great sammich board.
I would use 3/4 or 1 inch polyurethane foam board. You can pillage them at any hardware store. Either pink or blue.
Polystyrene us too susceptible to chemicals....IMHO.... carbon fiber is pricey, but glass and a good epoxy will be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles