Binky, the '92 7.3l 4x4 Econoline

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
Glad you were able to get them. If I would have had your number like I thought I did I would have just nabbed them for ya while I was there but didn’t know if you had them already or not.

Did you end up going out to the other yard while you were out that way? I ran into a buddy at the Nampa yard that had 2 of the cars I was after at his place and spent the rest of the day there, lol.

Binky

I didn't make it any further than the Nampa JJ. After I pulled the windows I looked over the other vans but I ended up finding a couple of Saabs that were loaded w/ parts I needed. Killed the rest of my available time pulling parts off those :)

Now I need to get Binky ready to camp at the rally this weekend!

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
lol, yep. I did the same ********...but I had to. been putting it off for weeks and going camping instead. this past weekend was my last chance. had to get rallywagon ready for battle. should be good to go after an alignment tomorrow ;)

I got your number now though. whenever I see stuff I can get a hold of you. Ill take a good look at your rig this weekend so I know what to look for next time im out. the Caldwell jj is where I got my $20 awning...

Binky

I've made a few updates over the last few weeks.

First off, I picked up a set of 285/75-16 Toyo A/T II's on Alcoa wheels, with lugs and caps.

There is some light rubbing on the lower corners of the bumpers, but that's it.
But, they may be temporary. I bought them for the wheels, some kid was tired of them, and I think I'd like to go back down to a narrower tire.
A great improvement over the Cooper STT's that were on it, that's for sure!

I also installed the KAB seat.
Wow! It's amazing! You sit in the seat while the van moves around you. An odd sensation the first time.

I need to replace the return lines next.

Should be ready to start installing the pop-up soon...

John

TomsBeast

I Love those tops! I stumbled across one on a van at a wrecking yard maybe 15yrs ago, on an early70's Ford or Dodge van conversion. I almost had to drag it home, even though I had no van at the time.

Binky

The lift mechanism on the Chef's pop-up is pretty unique, for sure! I'm a bit worried it could be rattly/noisy, but I think that can be mitigated.

Mine did come off of a '76 Dodge D200 conversion, but most of the photos online are Fords.

Now, the van I took it from was a standard length van and Binky is an extended, so I'll have about 2' of roofline behind the top.
Enough room for a short rack/bin of some sort...

Also, they were originally mounted to the roof with a wood base frame and I plan to use 1" square tube.

I'm also debating re-constructing the two side panels out of aluminum instead of steel. Looks easy enough... ; )

I hope to start cutting into the roof in a couple of weeks...

John

Binky

Had a bit of a close call on Sunday...

My wife and I took Binky out for a drive, and on our way north out of town, a new Ford pickup swung wide in a corner, and crossed the centerline.
The driver recovered enough that we only smacked mirrors...

As you can see, it spun my mirror a bit, popped out the glass and gasket and broke my window!
These windows were aftermarket tinted. Probably what kept it from exploding.

I'm guessing they didn't get away unscathed, these mirrors don't move easily.
There are bits of chrome embedded in the screws ...

The OEM replacement is like $240 on ebay :p

I'm thinking maybe a set of these...505981
I've used this style for years on my Ford F-350 work trucks and really like them.

How hard is it to wire in power mirrors??

Raul

Adventurer
Make sure you have the right number of holes on the door. At some point the mirror attachments changed (2006?) and they may not a direct bolt on. I replaced one of my mirrors with a cheap knock off from Amazon and was excellent.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ in other words, he might have to drill a hole, lol. However I can’t help out wth wiring. I bought the non oem standard ones cause we’re broke and I had read that the power ones folded, but only folded electronically. That was a no go for me. I get mine slapped against the van every so often and I didn’t want them to get ruined. Maybe someone with power folding mirrors can confirm?

Close call though. Glad damage was minimal. Had the same thing happen on the middlefork road. Some ************ brodozer with his tow mirrors extended (with no trailer) came ripping around a corner and we slapped mirrors. Mine folded. His got knocked off. Since my mirror was ok I just kept driving. I figured if he was mad enough he’d find a way to turn around on that skinnyass road and come find me. Never saw him again :)

Binky

I've had two similar instances over the years, once on the middle fork road and once on the south fork Salmon road....
No real damage (to me) either time.

Thanks for the tip on the 4th(?) hole, I'll order a set in the next day or two.

Anybody have any tips on replacing the glass? Been doing google searches and not really finding anything.
I pulled glass from the yard yesterday, but I pulled everything, including the slide and lift motor.

There has to be an easier way to replace just the glass!?

Raul

Adventurer
I replaced just the glass. Long ago so I do not remember the details, but you probably could figured out as you go along.
Once window is down, remove the rubber/felt from the guides/frame of the door. This will give you the wiggle room that you may need to pull the glass out after you disengage it from the regulator mechanism.

I am expecting Shenrie to paraphrase me so my comment will be more meaningful. :p

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
Lo, no offense intended Raul, I’ve just seen so many threads about it along with the resolution that I know he can figure it out. The newer mirrors come with a 4th stud. Everything I’ve seen was resolved by drilling a hole for that stud. Can’t imagine he will have any issues with the glass either...only saying this cause I’ve seen his racecars ;)

Raul

Adventurer
I have no first hand experience with the mirror, but after seeing all those comments I was expecting quite an engineering challenge.
Now I am curious about those race cars. Anyone with little mechanical ability should be able to replace de glass. I hate trying to figured out, but it’s feasible.

CaulkinsCo.

Two 1/4" rivets hold the glass to the lift mechanism, can get to them with the window about half way down once the door panel is off. Still have to pull the weather stripping out.

Binky

Thanks for the tips, I got it figured out. Something seems a bit tweeked as the lift motor definitely has some struggles it didn't before.
I didn't have to remove the guide/frames when I removed the one from the yard, as I took the whole lift assy out as a unit, but it was the only way to get the new glass in.
I still want to get it tinted as that's what kept it all from blowing up in my face! Most of the old window came out as one unit, still attached to the tint.
Not a lot of cleanup.

Now, I'm going to assume the racecar comment was a compliment, because anyone who works this long and hard to keep an archaic Swedish lump running needs to
have his head examined...;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles