Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
I dont remember seeing it, but what tint are the windows on your truck( cab), and do you like them?

I don't remember the percentage, but IIRC its either 20 or 35 (i think I told them to just match the rears). And I LOVE it, had not driven a car without tint for years until we bought the truck. It was miserable! Sun burns, and it blocks a lot of heat. 100% will do to anything I own. Get good ceramic stuff.

I do tend to roll the windows down at night when doing "technical" backing up, darker windows and mirrors only makes it a bit harder to see. But the trade off for sunny driving is SO worth it.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thanks, for whatever reason my crew cab was ordered with no tint! Its been on the list, i have always been a little head shy with it as i have seen so many done poorly here. Ill have to make that happen in the next few months, we have a good shop here now that has been around abut 5 years.

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks, for whatever reason my crew cab was ordered with no tint! Its been on the list, i have always been a little head shy with it as i have seen so many done poorly here. Ill have to make that happen in the next few months, we have a good shop here now that has been around abut 5 years.
Well worth it, especially with sunny season just around the corner!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Nice looking awning. Now you need some type of stress/freezing alarm to remind you to bring it in.

3M has a clear tint that blocks the sun (UV and infrared) without making the windows noticeably darker.

We will be replacing the tint on our front windows with clear tint at some stage. I have a theory that if I’m paying all that money for diesel to travel around I want to see as much as possible.

There was also another product that provided security protection as well and could be installed on the windscreen as well as side windows. That interested me from a security point of view but I have a lot of windows to cover.

java

Expedition Leader
Nice looking awning. Now you need some type of stress/freezing alarm to remind you to bring it in.

3M has a clear tint that blocks the sun (UV and infrared) without making the windows noticeably darker.

We will be replacing the tint on our front windows with clear tint at some stage. I have a theory that if I’m paying all that money for diesel to travel around I want to see as much as possible.

There was also another product that provided security protection as well and could be installed on the windscreen as well as side windows. That interested me from a security point of view but I have a lot of windows to cover.

I was standing under the last one..... Literally it happened that fast....

I did see the clear UV tints, I like a little privacy of the darker honestly, but to each their own.

We have done the clear anti break film on a couple commercial projects, REALLY cool stuff.

java

Expedition Leader
One more weekend down. Weather was gorgeous, feels like spring!
32471397637_c29bdae2d1_b.jpg

47413447771_7f67988510_b.jpg

Skied all night again.
33537771208_e20f18348b_b.jpg

And realistically probably our last real ski day for this year. Its been a good one! I forgot the tracker for two days and I think one skin also, so we hit 30 days this year and almost 400k vertical.
47413448081_151bf40067_b.jpg

And what happens when you get a new vinyl cutter and are bored and want to try something big? :)
32471401697_0380a3cf76_b.jpg

Bring on Spring!

ITTOG

HAHA its funny to see how things like planning a trip around bathroom access becomes a thing as we get older! I do see your point java in saving cash. It is interesting like Oz said to see different reasons for wanting larger tanks.

Just curious, is there a huge price difference between the tanks you are considering? If price savings is a though, what about considering the larger tank also for the purpose of stocking up on fuel when it is cheaper? although, the small amount of savings is probably not worth the energy needed to monitor prices daily.....
No energy is required to monitor gas prices. There are apps for that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Rock lights! Super handy for trying to find parking spot among boulders, especially with a long wheel base. I really liked the "puddle" lights I had under the box by the steps, so I figured I would add more! But the marker lights I used before would not work well there (under the running boards) so I got some more little waterproof cheap LED's and went to town. Sooooo much tedious wiring on your back!

I wanted these switched on from the cab, so I used the smallest upfitter switch, and wired them into that circuit. However I wanted to use the previously installed "puddle" lights also, but not have everything turn on when those where on, so I backfed that circuit with a diode between them. Perfect, cab switch turns everything on, the switch in the back only turns on the ones by the steps.

Cheap LED's
33551053488_f82f945908_b.jpg

Unceremoniously glued in place.
46511865175_7a6d7ed607_b.jpg

And wala, UFO status. The other side looks the same, minus the one behind the rear wheel.... Ran out of wire! There is miles of it under there.
33558637788_51e5a49c71_b.jpg

Next up was trim install. A little glue, some micropin nails, boom. Wish I could get the screen mold in S3S1E, but whatever, its done. Could not get it in the oak easily. Covers the caulk joint and clean up the bottom edge nicely.
47381877042_b0e11c8cd1_b.jpg

47381876582_54b7c277da_b.jpg

And since I was feeling ambitious..... The lip on this shelf has been a scrap of 3/4 ply for ever.... Now its a proper nice piece of maple.
32492895907_daaaf3e4fc_b.jpg

33558638258_237cc4a345_b.jpg

Fatboyz

Observer
Did you put any underlay under the vinyl plank? I was planning vinyl plank in a very similar color, but got a screaming deal on some cork click together. Should help keep the feet feeling warm.

java

Expedition Leader
Did you put any underlay under the vinyl plank? I was planning vinyl plank in a very similar color, but got a screaming deal on some cork click together. Should help keep the feet feeling warm.
Yep, it's got half r foam underlayment. Doesn't seem to do a lot. Cork will be nice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles