Water container recs/stowage of them...

rho

Lost again
Hey Y'all, I'm about at my wits end with water storage in my jeep. I've just been doing plastic gallon bottles lately as I've had a few different large water containers break or otherwise fail on me on trips... So I was wondering what some other ideas or solutions might be for some of that stuff.

The rotopax water container and rollbar mount for the JKU looks really interesting to me as it gets it out of the way in a place where i don't really have anything currently and might be a solution. I think I'm going to give it a go when the summer rolls around to see if its an effective solution.
I've also tried some of the random blue 4gal containers and that worked out ok for a few trips but then it ended up seeing a minor fall which caused the container to fail, so hopefully something ends up slightly drop proof or at least won't fail the instant it gets miss-handled.

I know the jeep ends up getting kind of tough to mount things into, even more so as a drawer system isn't a good solution for my uses of the truck as I end up hauling bikes and other random junk in the back a lot, I've started work on a rack for the rear cargo space that'll fit over the two action packers i use as my normal camping gear hauling tubs and it'll be removable so I should be able to do mounts to that, but I end up sleeping in the back of the jeep a lot so even that isn't a super great solution and will be used more for day trips than being a permanent solution in that truck.
Another option I've been looking at is something under the rear seats that can come out but I haven't had a ton of luck finding containers that are the right size for the jeep.

Ahhh, oh well back to looking at stuff.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I've been mulling this over for the last few weeks with a 2-door JK, and for the same reasons. I'm tired of having one gallon jugs of water rolling around on the passenger floor. Granted, if you have an RTT and tend to wee in a bottle, those empty jugs come in handy.

For me there are a couple of options that are interesting.

Roadshower (for up on the rack), A rotopax fender mount for rotopax water containers, or a rotopax on my rear rack with a spigot....like this:

If I had a JKU, I'd probably buy the rotopax roll bar mount that you mentioned because it freezes here at night during fall, winter, and spring (at elevation). But, nobody sells a rotopax mount for a 2-door JK.

Keep us posted if you find something cool.

jgaz

Adventurer
If you are going for a multi purpose storage design for your jeep you might want to start with a base plate.
You can install pronged, tee nuts, at the appropriate places on the base plate to install holders, tie down points, etc.

Another way to secure “stuff” to the base plate is to use a series of 1 1/4” holes that will allow you to pass through roller cam straps to secure cargo. I’m finding the holes work better in many cases than the tie down track I have installed.

This is what I use on my base plate to hold either a 2 1/2 or 5 gallon MWC. The holder can be used independently of my also removeable drawer and fridge slide.
It is light, cheap, and was ez to construct.

Last edited:
Front Runner sells a unit that fits behind the front seats in the rear foot wells since you mentioned that area. Obviously, whatever solution you decide to go with be sure to secure them properly so that they don’t become cannonballs in the event of a panic stop.

I use the bed of my truck for sleeping/storage. I use 4-gal Aquatainers for general use and bring 1-gal drinking water containers; I like the taste better. All stored in an aluminum utility box that’s anchored in the bed. Something to keep in mind...water is heavy at 8.3 lbs/gal. The Aquatainers I use weigh just shy of 35 lbs when full, the 7-gal units just shy of 60 lbs! That’s a lot to be carrying around if having to move them. That’s why I prefer the smaller containers. The RotoPax are an elegant solution but quite spendy.

shu2kill

I was in the same situation as you, and ended up making a rear rack above the tire, with a place to secure the scepter can horizontally, so i can dispose of the water without removing the can. This way, the can wont be misshandled, as it never leaves it place, i secure it empty, fill it in its position, and it stays there until i return home. When full of water, it is heavy, so I prefer not having to move it around.

I installed a spigot in what originally is the vent hole.

rho

Lost again
I'm going to give the rotopax rollbar mount/thing a go here in a bit. it looks like a good solution and it'll keep it out of the way enough.

rayra

Expedition Leader
rotopax look sechsy and are far and away about the most expensive choice there is out there.

4 Gallon Square Aqua tainer fits very nicely in a standard milk crate.. the milk crate provides a very nice and durable outer layer of protection
... which you've got to have as most Aquatainers have a wall thickness not much better than a 2L soda bottle. When you go to obuy one just unscrew the cap, point the bottom of the jug at the store lights and look in it and see how thin they can be.
And if you go Aquatainer make sure to get the version(s) with the screw-on vent cap and not the press-in variety. The latter will pop out during offroad jostling and you'll have a soggy mess when you get where you are going.

Look at the 'civilian' Scepter 20L jugs, they're about 2/3 as thick as the milspec versions, very sturdy, a good deal at ~$19ea at Tractor Supply and other similar stores. Their only downside is they will not fit in standard / NATO jerry can holders. The Scepter CIV jugs are deliberately made with a wider base in hopes of evading the fate of Blitz, who got repeatedly sued by ambulance chasers for drunk idiots getting burned by knocking over their gas jugs while using gas to start their campfires. Blitz owners said 'can't sustain these financial assaults, we're closing.'

I've been getting rid of my aquatainers, passed them along to a neighbor/Scoutmaster, have been adding the Scepter civ jugs for both water and fuel, as opportunities present. (why do I have 50gal of both in 20L jugs? I live in SoCal, ~10mi from the San Andreas and already had my stuff smashed a 1/2mi from the epicenter of the Northridge quake. I got caught with ZERO supplies of anything, then. Nevermore.)

fuelishidea2.jpg

gascache181105.jpg

Last edited:

Saint Nick

If you are going for a multi purpose storage design for your jeep you might want to start with a base plate.
You can install pronged, tee nuts, at the appropriate places on the base plate to install holders, tie down points, etc.

Another way to secure “stuff” to the base plate is to use a series of 1 1/4” that will allow you to pass through roller cam straps to secure cargo. I’m finding the holes work better in many cases than the tie down track I have installed.

This is what I use on my base plate to hold either a 2 1/2 or 5 gallon MWC. The holder can be used independently of my also removeable drawer and fridge slide.
View attachment 506693
View attachment 506694
It is light, cheap, and was ez to construct.
That's a great solution, and it keeps the weight low down on the vehicle (y)Makes for easier loading too.

Nick.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Ye old scepter/Jerry can (2.5 gallon- 5 gallon)/10L French wine tin in an antique Blitz Jerry can holder mounted, inside over a rear tire is all that I have needed... for really rough trails; running a strap over the can and back to the Blitz holder can help...
Blitz Jerry can holders still seem to be regularly available on fleabay.
Its not new/flashy but it works; while keeping the vehicle CG relatively low.
If I'm going to be away from known good, reliable potable water sources for more than a week i bring a filter (Katadyn).

Enjoy!

krick3tt

Adventurer
The difference in thickness of the civ Scepter cans is not worth the drop in price of the real mil cans.

rayra

Expedition Leader
The difference in thickness of the civ Scepter cans is not worth the drop in price of the real mil cans.
the hell it isn't. They're 2/3 as thick - far thicker than any other plastic 'civ' jug - by weight and for 40% the price of a used or illegally imported milspec Scepter. $22 instead of $50

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles