My Taxa Cricket mod/build...

Jafrench

Observer
JaFrench I’m curious about your feedback regarding if the Cricket has the space option to rig up kids bunks that are a little more stable and weight capable. My initial thought was as some light weight composit board as a bed frame attached to the top inside edge of the hard trailer side in the front section where the pop up lends more head room. Then flip them up or at least partially up for more head room if weather runs us inside to play cards waiting out a T-storm etc.

I could see my self wanting to remove the front cabinets and rigging up a storage system for our gear. Our current Life Time tent trailer has some negatives that the Cricket trailer would fix if I could figure out kid sleeping spots that aren’t hanging over my head. As for interior use we only sleep and stow stuff for security etc. We cook outside. The Cricket hard sides also add Bear country capability vs our current “Tent” on a trailer is very much tent camping.

A bat wing style awning would be slick but the shape of the Cricket complicates that type of idea, some type of fancy side wall mounted rack would be needed for an awning. Have you pondered any ideas like that? Its been fun hearing your ideas and seeing your modifications take shape.
Sorry for the late reply. The only issue I can foresee with a bunk bed frame attached to the top inside of the front section would be that the tubing that locks the top up in place would interfere in the middle, if that makes sense.

I wanted to redo the front cabinets/shelving but my wife was really wanting to keep the counter space and sink as is. I think maximizing/organizing the shelving/storage below for how we use it would be nice. Remains to be determined if I will modify while still allowing for what she wants. We cook outside too but having a sink for brushing teeth, washing hands and faces is a nice luxury for the Mrs. and my daughters.

I will definitely be putting an awning on this season that rolls out from the side with the entry door, not sure how yet. For the QuickPitch shower that I mounted on the other side I used long through bolts into the aluminum frame of the hard sides with aluminum reinforcement bars on the inside. I don't trust the thin aluminum sheeting sandwiching the styrofoam to support any significant load, let alone an awning which will be pushed and pulled by any high winds.

HTH

Jafrench

Observer
My TM never made it home. The frame cracked in two places and the insurance company ended up totaling the trailer.
That sucks man. Exactly the reason I went with a boxed steel replacement frame. Will keep my fingers crossed that the rest of the trailer holds up.

Hopefully you got your money's worth both in use and what the insurance company paid out. Did they give you any issues with how you used it and what they were willing to cover?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
That sucks man. Exactly the reason I went with a boxed steel replacement frame. Will keep my fingers crossed that the rest of the trailer holds up.

Hopefully you got your money's worth both in use and what the insurance company paid out. Did they give you any issues with how you used it and what they were willing to cover?
Thankfully no issues with the insurance company.

Jafrench

Observer
How difficult is it to hook up the lines? Looks kind of cramped. Any issues with the exhaust heat?
Thanks again,
Hook up isn't bad. I've got quick connects for propane and cold water supply. Hot water out splits to handheld shower and hose (always connected) to quick connect to sink inside the trailer. I had to make some big holes in the bottom of the case to allow for enough room.

No problems with exhaust heat.

bshinn

Sweet, I already 90'd the cold water supply, think I'll do the same for the propane and hot water as well. Hopefully won't need to bore holes in the case. Currently my sink only has a cold water supply, I think I might purchase another faucet and add hot water to that. All I was planning on was a shower until I saw that setup.

Thanks

Jafrench

Observer
Having hot water for the wife and kids from the sink is a BIG plus. I would have preferred not to drill big holes in the case but wanted the ability to shut it overnight or in bad weather to protect the heater without having to disconnect everything. Unless it rains from the ground up it's weather tight when shut.

MotoLegends15

Absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the bespoke chassis frame built from 2x5 steel box tube with Timbren Axle-Less suspension and Lock-N-Roll hitch for the TAXA Cricket! For serious backcountry excursions that's how the Cricket should have been built originally - NOT using crap C-Channel steel members bolted together for the chassis frame! Wondering... do you think that Trailer Made Custom Trailers (TMCT) will build another one of these bespoke Cricket frames? Do you know if TMCT produced engineered drawings to build your bespoke frame or just 'wing it' by taking general measurements from the original tweaked Cricket frame? I'm about to pop for a new 2019 TAXA Cricket Trek. If TMCT would build another one of these bespoke Cricket chassis frames I would immediately snatch the body off the original OE Cricket frame and install the TMCT bespoke chassis frames - if available? Can you offer any input? Who might I speak with at TMCT to inquire? Many thanks!

tomasallan

Observer
Absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the bespoke chassis frame built from 2x5 steel box tube with Timbren Axle-Less suspension and Lock-N-Roll hitch for the TAXA Cricket! For serious backcountry excursions that's how the Cricket should have been built originally - NOT using crap C-Channel steel members bolted together for the chassis frame! Wondering... do you think that Trailer Made Custom Trailers (TMCT) will build another one of these bespoke Cricket frames? Do you know if TMCT produced engineered drawings to build your bespoke frame or just 'wing it' by taking general measurements from the original tweaked Cricket frame? I'm about to pop for a new 2019 TAXA Cricket Trek. If TMCT would build another one of these bespoke Cricket chassis frames I would immediately snatch the body off the original OE Cricket frame and install the TMCT bespoke chassis frames - if available? Can you offer any input? Who might I speak with at TMCT to inquire? Many thanks!

+1

Jafrench

Observer
Wondering... do you think that Trailer Made Custom Trailers (TMCT) will build another one of these bespoke Cricket frames? Do you know if TMCT produced engineered drawings to build your bespoke frame or just 'wing it' by taking general measurements from the original tweaked Cricket frame? I'm about to pop for a new 2019 TAXA Cricket Trek. If TMCT would build another one of these bespoke Cricket chassis frames I would immediately snatch the body off the original OE Cricket frame and install the TMCT bespoke chassis frames - if available? Can you offer any input? Who might I speak with at TMCT to inquire? Many thanks!
I'm willing to bet they would build another frame. No engineered drawings as far as I know. I suspect they just used their trailer-building know-how to build it. They make extremely stout trailers for hauling heavy equipment and for tiny homes so they know what they're doing. It's overbuilt. I left my trailer with them so they pulled the cabin/body, trashed the old frame and built the new one to suit the cabin/body. I don't think they saved any measurements or have drawings. I worked with Damon Deschamp (Owner/COO) and Jim Marquis (Master Fabricator) of the Denver branch--303-990-9497.

PMs inbound to both of you...

belloinsella

Awesome build! Apparently, TAXA is releasing a Cricket "Overland" Edition which features an upgraded frame design, Timbren suspension, 4" lift and 16" wheels. Most likely out of my budget though.

Jafrench

Observer
@Jeep2.0,

Best bet would be to call Taxa. Their website states "Overland Edition *only sold as a custom option through select TAXA dealers" under the Available Options.

If they're going to be north of $40k as the link below suggests, you'd be WAY better off upgrading a used unit like I did.

onespeedpaul

You spent much time pulling and using your upgraded cricket? eager to hear how it's working out.

I am about to pull the cabin/shell off mine for a new frame, although going a little different direction than yours as I will be using traditional leaf springs/straight axle and adding 4ft tongue length for a motorcycle carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94