1978 Jeep CJ7

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I bought this Jeep while on a summer camping trip to the Gunnison area and towed it home on a Uhaul trailer. It's just not getting driven much so it needs to go to a good home.
Located in Houma, LA.
Looking for $6000 OBO.
Spec list is as follows.
Just over 41,000 miles.
258 I6 with throttle body fuel injection and DUI ignition
33x10.50r15 BFG AT/KO tires on MT wheels
Custom front and rear bumpers with rear tire swing, hi-lift mount and 2” receiver, rock sliders, and full roll cage
Bestop seats and full safari top
Tremec T176 transmission Dana 300 Transfer Case with 4:1 low and twin stick kit
4.10 gears in axles with solid axles
ARB Air locker front, limited slip rear
4" Superlift springs Shackle reversal kit
Sony Bluetooth stereo with Kicker 6.5” speakers mounted on trans tunnel.
New exterior light lenses and bulbs
HD steering kit with high steer setup Steering box brace New steering box from a Wagoneer to convert to variable gearing with new Borgeson steering shaft.
Very good mechanical shape Drives very well
Everything including all electrical works 100%
The body could use some work if you don’t like the rugged look. It has lived in my garage since I bought it in 2015.
If you are looking for a pretty street queen, this Jeep isn't for you.
If you want something that will actually work well on the trail and drives great, send me a message.
More pics HERE

iu4OyaUYT7WYsxJas%2567Ag-L.jpg

Last edited:

Bug out 1

How does it handle on the road. Not looking for a hwy queen but would like to take it on some adventurous road trips. Mechanical and reliability are more important to me than looks. I actually prefer the patina of age than a show stopping glossy finish.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
You said you towed it home from Gunnison.

Where is home for those of us potentially interested?

Houma, LA. Sorry about that. Added it to the original post.

I do have a tow bar and magnetic tail lights that could go with it if someone needed to tow it home. We'd just have to disconnect the driveshaft from the rear diff. The Dana 300 doesn't take well to long distance flat tows.

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
How does it handle on the road. Not looking for a hwy queen but would like to take it on some adventurous road trips. Mechanical and reliability are more important to me than looks. I actually prefer the patina of age than a show stopping glossy finish.

It handles really well with the new steering setup. The steering is solid and it doesn't wander at all. I pulled the steering stabilizer and didn't miss it at all. The HD steer kit and steering box brace tightened everything up substantially. It is definitely a short wheelbase vehicle on big tires so you do get some of that bounce that comes with that kind of setup. It could use shocks which would help a ton.

I agree with the patina. I love the way it looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz