Looking for 100 series

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The problem is even though we are taking about Toyota Land Cruiser I still believe 200 is much more fragile , less capable and a lot more complex than the 100 and as numbers go up it gets worse,
I may be wrong, but history proved that’s true with every automaker.

Hummers, H1 H2 h3
Toyota’s, 60 80 100 200
land rovers d1 d2 d3
Tacoma gen 1 2 3 4

Numbers go up capability drops, complexity goes up.
100 series is what I would consider sweet spot.

Far from more fragile.

Deshet

Adventurer
If you pass up the 1994 with lockers please send the details it my way.
If the cosmetics are not terrible $4500 is a great deal. I would really like a triple locker LX450.

Thanks

4Beast

Observer
The problem is even though we are taking about Toyota Land Cruiser I still believe 200 is much more fragile , less capable and a lot more complex than the 100 and as numbers go up it gets worse,
I may be wrong, but history proved that’s true with every automaker.

Hummers, H1 H2 h3
Toyota’s, 60 80 100 200
land rovers d1 d2 d3
Tacoma gen 1 2 3 4

Numbers go up capability drops, complexity goes up.
100 series is what I would consider sweet spot.
I think that referring to the 200 as fragile is a mistake. It is certainly one generation more complex and theoretically has more to break, but all vehicles have a "weak spot," which often can be ameliorated with PM or aftermarket parts. After over a decade of production, I think we would know if the 200 was "fragile," but they seem to have the ability to rack up the miles the same as their predecessors, and many of them are still in stock trim. If you object to the looks (as i do somewhat, unless they are lifted on 37s) that's fine. If you want reliable, tough and simple, maybe you should look at a 60 with a 4 or 6BT conversion. Get a mechanical diesel, no frills, cargo capacity, solid axle, aftermarket support, and the ability to easily go to 35s or 37s. One of those could certainly be had for $24k

hayde89

Read through this thread. If anyone would know it's cruiser outfitters. Probably one of the most trusted cruiser shops in the USA. T Hey are anything but fragile. If you are worried about electronics then the 100 isn't right for you either. Sit in an 2008 and a 2007 the interior is very similar you still have hvac and nav issues. If you are looking for something less complicated then you need to be looking at a 60.

Deshet

Adventurer
The 200 is plush, not weak
The 5.7 with timing chains is probably the best gas engine put into a Landcruiser in recent times. Would not be surprised if the 200 got better fuel mileage then the 100 and 80.
I have seen a 5.7 Sequoia with over 400,000 miles

You also have to look at the target audience for new car sells. North Americans that buy new LC aren't doing the same things with them as South Africans that buy new LC. They have the off-road capabilities but they have to look and feel as nice as a Mercedes or Cadillac to sell here.

If you consider real world terrain and conditions the 200 maybe one of the best all around stock vehicles that Toyota has built.

If you have driven through central and south American or through dirt roads towns of developing countries you can appreciate an independent front suspension.

Thanks

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
I still believe 200 is much more fragile , less capable and a lot more complex than the 100

I think you'd need to explain this as from everything I've read and a friend who's had several 80, 100 and now a 200 for 5 years, your assumption is unfounded at least regarding "fragile" and "less capable". In fact, everything I've read from similar owners suggests the 200 is not only more robust in almost every way but also equally to more "capable" with basic geometries being similar but CRAWL KDSS engine and transmission being superior.

I really liked the venting 3rd row side windows in my 2006 100 though ;)

fireball

Explorer
The 100 will work great for you. Our siberian husky loves the back cargo area. With the rear AC he has two vents directly aimed at him. Very nice, especially since my wife is a teacher so most of our travel tends to be in the hotter summer months.

The 100 will work harder to cover the same off road terrain an 80 can, but it is sooo much nicer on the highway that for your uses sounds like the 100 is the perfect tool.

FJOE

Regular Dude
I have driven the 200 series both armored and stock in a lot of places. I will add that it is a very capable vehicle in stock form, even on technical terrain. It also cruises down the highway at 80mph without vibrating the fillings out of your mouth.

dlrflyer

For most purposes, each LC series improves on the one before. For most overlanding, I would say the 200 is definitely the best. Only in extreme terrain(i.e. rocks) would I think the 80 is a better choice. The bonuses are a much more powerful engine and sweet ride. I see 80’s as marginal powered, 100’s as adequately powered, 200’s kick ass powered. As a bonus, I think 200’s get better fuel economy.

RND1

Observer
I love my Hundy. The sweet spot is the '03 - '05 as you're guaranteed to avoid AHC. Find one that's rust free and regular service history and you won't miss your 80 any longer. '06 - '07 LC can also be found without AHC as it was optional, but when I was looking several years ago, all the '06-'07 LC I found had AHC. Many guys swear by the AHC, but just as many swear at it while they're removing it for shocks and springs.

ekapel

I agree, my 2005 100 is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I lived with a 1984 Fj60 for 21 years prior and loved it
but the 100 has all the great qualities of the 60 but can be driven on Interstate Highways. The Slee Offroad site has
a great summary of the 100 series. The only problem with buying a 100 is most have a lot of miles and even though
they are built to last, components wear out with miles so be willing to pay a premium for a low mile western (rust free)
example.

windtraveler

Observer
Still looking? I have an unmolested 1999 that has lived its entire life as a garage kept grocery getter. 115,000 miles, meticulously maintained. Not sure what it is worth in the market but it is a true gem, zero rust. I do thing $24,000 is really quite high. It does have the rear locker and xfer case locker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles