Interior cabinets material supplier

jetstreamin

Hi all, I am based in canada building my own expedition vehicle and I am now at the interior stage. Does any know where I can sources sheets of lightweight poplar high gloss white furniture board from in canada? Home Depot and Lowe’s just don’t cut it.

I found this awesome product in England and was hoping for something similar here https://shop.morlanduk.com/vehicle-conversions/lightweight-furniture-ply worst case I can source in the us and ship to a border location with a view to pick up in a van to drive back. Great example of what I am trying to achieve here
Any help,would be most welcome, the build of my rig so far can be see on this thread https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...tion-vehicle-build.197532/page-6#post-2611220

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Hi Tony,

These type of specialty finishes are hard to find in Canada... Most cabinet shops have sources for it. But it's by no means cheap. Have you thought about a vinyl wrap finish? I did our kitchen in it. Only when you look close, you can see that it's not painted. After 5 years I can assure you that's it's super durable and very easy to take care off. Here is a great supplier on the west coast: http://www.raincoastcd.com/doors/door_RTFtypes.php
On a side note: I would avoid high gloss cabinets... If the sun sits at a specific angle, you need sunglasses inside your camper. Go with a matt finish if you can.

Cheers,

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Any chance you guys can get baltic birch ply?

Its pretty much the gold standard for cabinet boxes around here.

With very little work it takes a coat of paint very nice, especially if shot (not rolled/brushed)

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Intermountain Wood products has what you describe at 18mm.
The products in the US tend to be home based and not specific to the RV/light camper industry, like your example, so are often thicker, heavier and use particle board or MDF cores.
Finding Baltic birch or similar solid veneer core laminates is difficult here too.
You can laminate your own and is what I have found many US upfitters do. The same link offers laminate material. This is likely the way to go, as you can choose your material inside and out, substrate thickness and variety. Your not talking a significant amount of pieces here.
Click "find your location", there might be one not far across the border from you.

Lucky j

Explorer
Rdo not know were you are in canada, but they are in Quebec city. If they don't ship, they might have an idea of who could have similar product closer to you.

They might have what you are looking for. I know they have baltic birch and the seams to have the furniture type of veneer too.

Keep us posted.

Fatboyz

Observer
I'm in Alberta and am planning to use Baltic birch on my build. It's readily available in Edmonton, Calgary or Red Deer at Widsor plywood.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Baltic birch is an ok choice. If you can try and source a plywood called Europly. Made by pure bond. If has less voids and a way nicer top veneer.

C p weinberger

Composite is sexy but I’m a wood guy at heart.. flexes, easy to work with and repair in remote areas. Strong for weight, People just think they need way more material than they really do.
RE Birch
Note, don’t buy Home Depot 4x8’ sheets of birch as This is not a true quarter-inch but 5.2 mm and ?
Buy true cabinet grade Baltic birch, 5x5’ sheets.. don’t forget you can source it in 3/8” as well Which is a nice option between the thinner 1/4 and your heavier 1/2
Typical two blade dado head for table saw cuts perfect 1/4 groove
Watch the Baltic birch, I am in the process of making kitchen cabinets, I bought a second ********** from another source and found it poor quality and slightly thicker than 1/4.
Kreg screw the joints for additional strength.
Good luck
C

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
For all visible panels I used Andreas's honey comb panels. They match the exterior walls and seem to be strong and light. So far we both love the look. Compared to our hidden painted plywood surfaces (mainly 1/2" Baltic Birch) we think it looks better, more durable and will be easier to keep clean. We also really like how bright the inside is, with maple trim and cabinet faces.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Andreas's business is Total Composites in Canada (he is Victorian here on the forum). I got our habitat panel kit from him and at the same time I ordered the interior honey comb panels, 30mm with gelcoated fiberglass on each side. As far as I know they do not stock panels in North America and need to be ordered from their factory in China. If you were to order some I would recommend ordering slightly oversized. It seems the fiberglass is cut then bounded to the honeycomb as they did not line up perfect, needed to trim them a bit. I really like these panels. Why? They are strong, easy to clean, match the habitat walls perfectly. Used them for the bathroom walls which will make a nice stall shower with the fiberglass surface. In my opinion it also gives the interior a slightly more professional look (and I need all the help I can get). Oh, I would look up the link but at the moment I am internet challenged at a awesome 2G data speed.

I also know of a company in North Carolina that sells similar composite panels, I went with TC's since it was easy, they matched. If matching is not important to you I will hopefully have 4G data sometime tomorrow and can dig up the website for the N.C company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke