One-burner propane stove?

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
So I tested out my little Gas-One stove this morning. Nice! Only tried it with the butane cylinder, but it worked flawlessly. With the piezo lighter (spelling?), it lit right up, and very even flame and quite the range from barely on to full flame. I don't know how long the butane cylinder lasts compared to the green propane cans, but for what little heating-up/cooking I usually do, it should do fine. Of course, I will have plenty of propane cylinders with me anyways (I wouldn't want JUST a butane stove), but the convenience of just popping in a butane cylinder (when above freezing) for warming up a can of soup or boiling water will be nice.

I got the Gas One on recommendation of the forum about a year ago and LOVE it. One of my best buys ever. So glad to no longer be toting an unneeded two-burner stove. I've had no problems at all with this stove except that the hose is a bit difficult to stow in the case, but it can be done.

another_mike

Adventurer
I got the Gas One on recommendation of the forum about a year ago and LOVE it. One of my best buys ever. So glad to no longer be toting an unneeded two-burner stove. I've had no problems at all with this stove except that the hose is a bit difficult to stow in the case, but it can be done.

At 7100 btu’s, that’s one of the smaller ones. You find it adequate? Do you ever find yourself wishing you bought a bigger one?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
At 7100 btu’s, that’s one of the smaller ones. You find it adequate? Do you ever find yourself wishing you bought a bigger one?

I have a small Manchester bulk propane tank. Holds 1.7 gallons, but has the same connection as a regular 5g tank. I wanted a way to check the propane system in my antique RV, so I ordered a cheapo regulator/hose and figured I might end up cutting the end off to patch it into the RV's propane lines somewhere.

51vUnQVliIL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Actually, my nephew is Mr. Amazon and prefers if I remember to have him order stuff, so he can put it on his Amazon card for some perks or whatever, then I just pay him back. In this case, I had him do it. But somehow he screwed up and ordered it twice. About two weeks after the first one showed up, another one showed up and wasn't worth the hassle to return.

So I kept it and decided the extra could be sacrificial. Then I ordered one of the cheapo Camplux dual fuel GasOne knockoffs.

419FI5-wYdL._AC_SY400_.jpg

I was never going to use a 1lb. propane tank, so I decided to cut that fitting off and splice the two hoses together. They weren't the same size, but a 1/4" drive, 6mm socket from my "old crap" toolbag worked perfectly as a reducing coupling.510061

I haven't really used it, but I was also curious about that heat output question. On high the output is noticably less than the propane Wedgewood stove in my camper. But on low is is quite a bit lower..

I put two cups of water in a pan and brought it to a boil. Didn't take long. I then added one cup of jasmine rice from Thailand. This brand wants an 18 minute cook time. Normally, you bring to a boil, add rice then reduce heat. I didn't. I left the burner on high and set a timer for 18 minutes. Came out absolutely perfect. On the Wedgewood it would have burned if left on high the whole time.

I then whipped up a quickie chicken, spinach and ortega pepper stir fry. It worked fine with my wok. No, not as hot as I normally would do a stir fry in the wok, but plenty hot enough to get it done.

I haven't tried simmering with it, and I think on low it might be just hot enough to keep stuff warm, but maybe not hot enough for a proper simmer.

Quality is decent, works just fine. Haven't tried butane in it, but other than just to see how well it does, and see how long a can lasts, I doubt I ever would use butane anyway.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer

Yes, I find it entirely adequate. Downsizing to one burner is about simplicity, so my cooking habits have gotten simpler, all one-pot meals, cup of tea, can of soup. I had a nice two-burner stove and found I never used the second burner. I like the Gas One for the large pot support.

rnArmy

Adventurer
One thing I haven't tried with my little gas-one single burner stove is using my folding Coleman Oven. I actually haven't used this thing in decades, but I'm trying to downsize for my next big adventure. Normally it is just me or one other person (I'll be the only one in my vehicle on this next adventure), so I don't need a huge cooking set-up. And I know I have a tendency to over-pack.

I've got a Coleman dual burner propane stove that has served me very well over the years. I've also got a nice propane stove and oven combo, and it is nice to use when set-up. But it takes a bit of space to pack, and you can't exactly use it quickly & easily on your Jeep's tailgate if you're wanting to heat up something quickly. And this next adventure we'll be moving quickly, so not a lot of settling in at one spot.

Hmmm... muffins.

another_mike

Adventurer
Yes, I find it entirely adequate. Downsizing to one burner is about simplicity, so my cooking habits have gotten simpler, all one-pot meals, cup of tea, can of soup. I had a nice two-burner stove and found I never used the second burner. I like the Gas One for the large pot support.
That’s exactly why I’m looking at single burner stoves; replacing my dual burner Coleman whitegas stove. It works well, just want something more compact but have been struggling with the decision on which stove to get, since they range from 7-15k btus

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
That’s exactly why I’m looking at single burner stoves; replacing my dual burner Coleman whitegas stove. It works well, just want something more compact but have been struggling with the decision on which stove to get, since they range from 7-15k btus

I'm really careful about my purchases; I research them a lot (understatement)! The Gas One is one of my best purchases ever. The reviews are excellent. Ignition works perfectly. I don't find 7172 BTUs weak in any way. The cover comes in handy for washing and draining dishes.

rnArmy

Adventurer
So... will 7100 BTUs be enough to make muffins with my Gas One dual-fuel stove? In the interest of scientific inquiry, I decided to make blueberry muffins. So out came the Gas One single burner stove, my old-school Coleman folding oven (that goes on top of the stove), and my "use this one next" bottle of propane (you know... that half-used bottle from your last adventure).

I put the burner on high because with all this talk about "is 7100 BTUs enough", I wanted to make sure I could get the oven preheated to 400 degrees (as per Martha White's instructions). In less than 5 minutes I was past 500 degrees, so I quickly dialed it down. I still had a hard time keeping it around 400 degrees. Even though there's no insulation on this oven, it gets hot quickly and maintains temperature.

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
I thought I'd have time while the oven was preheating to mix up my muffin mix. Like I mentioned, it got to over 500 quickly, so I turned down the heat while mixing up the mix and putting it in the muffin tins. A couple tips for camp cooking (even though I was doing this on my back porch):
  1. Use muffin tin liners. When camping, you might want to set your muffin down somewhere that isn't exactly clean. You'll be glad it is in a muffin liner.
  2. Bring a portable wind-up timer with you so you know when time is up (mine looks like a little pig).

With the oven on top of the stove, it is difficult to see how high the flame is. And if you're turning the flame down, it is easy to turn it off before you reach the limits of the knob. So more than once I had to restart it because I turned it down too far and it shut off. Fortunately, this little Gas One has a built-in ignitor, so restarting was not an issue. I blame me for shutting it off, not the stove.

You could smell the muffins baking. And you could also smell they might be burning. I had the burner down about as low as I could go (sometimes accidently turning it off), but the temp never really got below 400. I even opened the door for a little bit (seconds) trying to get some of the heat out. Again, I blame me.

And then 16 minutes later I heard the timer ding, so out they came.

They looked good and smelled good, but you could smell they were a little burnt. So I unwrapped a couple, and they were definitely blacked on the bottom (that's some of the muffin paper stuck to the bottoms).

But who's never burned muffins before? And they smelled good. So I cut them in half, put some butter on them, and (again, in the interest of scientific inquiry) ate them. They didn't taste burned (maybe crunchy on the bottom, but not really burnt). I also had Mrs. rnArmy try them (pictured below), and she said they were ok. And you know if we were camping and I gave one to you, you'd love them and would ask for more (everything tastes better when camping).

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
So what did I learn from all this:
  1. This little Gas One stove is more than adequate for cooking anything I might want to cook. I'm not putting 3-gallon pots on the stove to boil; it will pretty much be just me most of the time (and at most one other person). Heating up a can of something, frying something on a frying pan, or boiling water... I'm good.
  2. This little Gas One stove is more than adequate to heat up one of those old-school Coleman folding ovens for making muffins or biscuits (or pizza).
  3. Figure if you're baking old school, you'll need to be there watching the temperature for the duration of your cooking. If anything, it'll get too hot! Not what I was expecting, but now I know.
  4. Start the heat much lower when preheating the oven, and try to get it (temperature) stabilized before putting something in the oven.
I've got a Camp Chef two burner stove and oven combo. It works great, and I've been happy with it. But it doesn't lend itself to quick meals or easy set-up. And it is kinda too much for my next adventure bulk-wise. I think between this single burner Gas One dual burner stove and the folding Coleman oven, I've got my cooking bases covered in a much more manageable package. Overall I am quite pleased with how this turned out. Let the next adventure begin!

Last edited:
Try cooking at a lower temp for longer. Also you can use an old fashion test by using a toothpick. Poke them with a toothpick if it comes out clean it's done.

Pappy

I just use a Bakepacker if I want something like muffins. I made myself a blueberry muffin birthday cake in Baja for the big six-oh a few years ago. Ya, it's just a round mass instead of in fancy cups. But for camping, who cares? Just slice it up, slab on the butter, and dine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles