Jeep Cherokee (XJ), LX470 (Land Cruiser) , or Something Else?

lonelywolfe

Hello and welcome. I'm new this forum after being a lurker on/off for several years. I've decided to join this forum because life has thrown a lot of change/truth to me and I may to have to attempt to try to start over. What this means is that for few months I may need to live/travel out of a vehicle until I can try to get back on my feet. My goal is travel from here in Indiana to the West Coast or Pacific Northwest. Anyways, I'm considering selling one of my other vehicle(s) and I'm trying to decide if a Jeep Cherokee (XJ), Lexus LX470, or something else would be a good choice? The only things I have are just some clothes, a grill, and a cooler is all I would pretty much have.

Now, I have slept in vehicles in the past and I've also had three Dakota Convertibles in the past as well. I've a 1989 Sport 4x4 and 1990 (Base 2wd V6). The 1990 model I drove from San Diego to Seattle and then from Seattle to here to Indiana. I did manage to sleep in that truck a few times although I did stay in a hotel a couple of times for one night. Anyways, I'm just wondering what a all around vehicle would be to get me from here Indiana to my destination while also traveling around. I might do some light off-roading but, nothing extreme. Anyways, just looking for suggestions on vehicles. My budget would be in the $7500 to $15,000 range. The lower the better as I have more money to keep in my pocket. Just wanting to know what everyone would suggest for a vehicle? I know XJs are in my price range and I'm somewhat familiar with Chrysler products. Sorry, if this is the wrong forum but, not sure if I have this posted in the right place? Thank you in advance.

41e15ecde4900c507a2bc9b10b1a5fc5.jpg

I have an XJ with a good bit into it. Building it out as a pop top camper on the side of school/work when the time is there.

They are a solid budget friendly setup in many cases.

Downsides would be the unibody construction as opposed to a body on frame vehicle. For travel and light off-roading, likely not a major factor. Also size, the xj is somewhat compact. I’m 6’ and with the passenger seat all the way forward and rear seat removed, I have not quite enough space to stretch straight. A fold flat front seat or similar setup would be better. Also headroom once a platform is installed will work but be a bit tight. Mine will have a 10” platform flush with the wheel wells. I have the topper however so it’s not as big of a concern.

Good luck with the trip, and the 4.0 is a solid drivetrain if you can find one that hasn’t been overheated through its life. The aw4 is a decent transmission, but I would go with an AX-15 manual model for a travel rig if given the choice.

lonelywolfe

94toy22re that thought did cross my mind as well but, I thought well I might be doing some light trails so that might eliminate that idea. Nothing extensive but, something with a little off road capability and with a little ground clearance. I thought about an LJ Wrangler but, those seem to be a little higher in price. I'm mainly looking to keep this rig stock or very few modifications and oh yeah I might have a canoe around. The other thing is I figure if I'm giving a somewhat collectible Ford Fox Body up in this process as well then I figure I'll still stick with something somewhat old school as well. Thank you all again.

ghcoe

Adventurer
I have to say XJ. Like said before, plenty of them out there for parts new and salvage, great aftermarket support. If you are not rock crawling they are plenty strong for Overlanding. I even know people who rock crawl with them....

lonelywolfe

Thank you all. Motoboss I sent you a PM. I'm still torn between a few choices and just trying to come up with a long term backup plan.

G0to60

Observer
I'll put my vote in on the Lexus/4Runner. My mother in law has one and, while it doesn't see the dirt hardly ever, it is extremely reliable and holds it's value. It is also much bigger inside then the XJ so if you're taller that could be nice. The downside is that it is more expensive to buy one and is likely more expensive to fix if something does break.

One other option. If you don't plan on going too far off road (fire roads and forest service roads mainly) look at the AWD Honda Element. Super versatile, decent on gas for being a brick, cheap to repair, and if you have the money you can find one with a pop top tent.

dman93

Adventurer
Both the XJ and LX470 are fine vehicles, but quite different. Unless you’ve narrowed it down to those two, for specific personal reasons (like if you want a Coke or a beer, but orange juice or a glass of wine aren’t interesting) you should look at some domestic vehicles that are roomier and perhaps newer than an XJ: Tahoe, Expedition or even Explorer, or, I you like Chrysler, a Durango. Coming from the Lexus side, there’s the Sequoia or 4 Runner, both with the same V8 as the 470 (optional on 4 then 4Runenrs).

I don’t know how much room a 4Runner would truly gain over an XJ as far as the 2nd and 3rd gen go. The sequoia is a solid option as well. We have a family tundra around the house that is the same as the sequoia, the 4.7 is a solid drivetrain. And a XJ won’t be doing any better on gas mileage than one...

lonelywolfe

Hello. I've thought about multiple options but, keep coming back to you a few. I know it might seem weird to partially live out of a vehicle but, until I can hopefully onto my feet and maybe find the path that seems most feasible in life. I did think about a Suburban but, might be too large long term especially if I can find a place/job in potentially starting over so that's why I was looking at somewhat smaller options.

Anyways, everyone here has good ideas and thank you. I thought about the Sequoia as well but, the Land Cruiser seems to be better built according to some of the information I had found. Regarding those Dakotas, no I don't have them anymore. If I had a chance/space I'd like to have that 90 base model back. Lots of good times/memories and that truck was pretty good to me if you can believe that. As I said, I drove it up the West Coast and then from the West Coast to the Midwest here. I sold years ago it to help pay for a wedding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior