Small full-featured hard-sided stock trailers modified for slow off-pavement trips: surprisingly rare

dreadlocks

its only 4in wider on each side than the X139 at edge of tires.. the box is still within truck profile, actually skinner so dont need tow mirrors, and I kinda like external fenders personally.. easier to spot tires in mirrors, easier to change sizes, and if one lets go it'll just take the fender out and not all the cabinetry inside built around the wheel.

the only issue Ive had so far was that poor road cone on i70 I creamed at 65mph, the box is only 6ft wide my tow vehicle is 6.5ft wide so it follows me down trails just fine.. tires and fender can take a bit of abuse if needed.. explore has fender guards.

john61ct

Adventurer
It is surprising that there is such a gap in the market between true expedition trailers and big travel trailers -- maybe there is not much demand for "boondockable" hard side trailers.
Yes, also very fragmented. I bet most are home-built DIY, or at least significantly modified.

No question more active niche in Australia, they've generally got more money to spend as in Europe, and camper trailer / caravans are much more tightly regulated and enforced there as well.

profdant139

I will look into that Jayco -- thanks for the tip! Maybe they will come out with an even smaller unit with the Baja package . . . .

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
I thought Oz was a costly place to live.

It is relative to America, but the wages are higher relative to America... so it averages out when you look at how many hours it takes to earn something.

For example, I pay about AU$65 for a pair of Wrangler Rodeo jeans (These ones on the US website) that sell in the US for about $40, but minimum wage is about AU$19p/h, so for just over 3hrs work you've got a pair of jeans. US Federal Minimum wage according to Dr Google is about US$8ph.... so that takes a lot longer to earn the same pair of jeans.

john61ct

Adventurer
And Americans have to set aside more of their income for retirement, health care, kids college tuition, unemployment / disability periods etc, without calling it part of their tax burden.

Also other countries are doing a better job maintaining the existence of their middle class population not so many poors, the top-percenters being richer, not as likely to be going "camping".

rebar

Adventurer
its only 4in wider on each side than the X139 at edge of tires.. the box is still within truck profile, actually skinner so dont need tow mirrors, and I kinda like external fenders personally.. easier to spot tires in mirrors, easier to change sizes, and if one lets go it'll just take the fender out and not all the cabinetry inside built around the wheel.

the only issue Ive had so far was that poor road cone on i70 I creamed at 65mph, the box is only 6ft wide my tow vehicle is 6.5ft wide so it follows me down trails just fine.. tires and fender can take a bit of abuse if needed.. explore has fender guards.

7' 8" or 92" isn't wider than my mirrors, but I need 7' box for a queen mattress.. A 7' wide enclosed trailer usually gets the same axle as the 8', so why get 7' unless its a narrow track with wheel wells imo.

I figure if your trailer wheel track width measures 84" or 7' of real estate (my trucks is 86") , why not have the box the same? I run 16" LT michelin's and never had a blow out or read about one, even aproaching 100 mph once for a few miles testing how my rebuilt cummins performs pulling my old 8.5x24 9K toyhauler. You cant use the fender as a step or seat and the only reason manufactures build them that way is to save money. Its to bad intech wont build a narrow track, because their trailers look just as good as my old featherlite.

dreadlocks

My intech has dual queen bed tipsouts, I can sleep 4 adults in provided beds and probably another 4 on the floor of the trailer if I needed.

Trailer tires take more abuse than you'd think, I had to replace the wheels on my 4x7 trailer after some spirited driving on a poorly maintained section of Hwy101.. it took chunks out of the sidewalls down to the belt, yet my car tires were fine.. When I was a kid my dad had a blow out on his camper that messed a bunch of stuff up, and one of my uncles with a popup camper pretty much had his totaled by a blow out because it took all the plumbing and electrical with it.. it does happen quite a bit with camper trailers, but probably because ppl let tires age out and rot away before the tread is done.. however its also harder to notice a tire becoming flat on a trailer because nobody is riding inside it.

Driving a camper to the lake a few times a year is one thing, taking it on 10-15k mile expos is a whole another thing.. pretty much same reason why I've never had to change a tire on the way to work but I have had to change many tires out in the middle of BFE.. Murphy's law is always in effect.

The toy haulers I see no need for a narrow track, that just takes up space inside the trailer.. I can fit a 4 seater side by side in mine if I wanted, but not w/out external fenders or a much wider trailer.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
A 20' tandem axle trailer with the axles flipped would be perfect. I can just drop it for more adventurous tails.

Nobo 19.5:
ImageHandler.ashx

ImageHandler.ashx

Last edited:
profdant139, our camping goals are similar to yours, with a little larger upper limit on size. I've been researching brand for many months. Below are my current conclusions.

The Lance 1475 (with All Weather Package and without slide) appears to be very well designed for freezing temperatures. On YouTube Lance has 25 videos; several discuss the tanks, insulation, heating systems. The Truma Combi for heat and hot water was introduced in 2018. Dry weight is 2600 lbs. A small lift is optional.

Olivers also appear to be very suitable for winter, but they're heavy (and expensive).

I can't find much information about Bigfoots; they do claim "enclosed heated tanks".

The new InTech Sol claims to have the fresh tank (28 gal) above the floor. I'm trying to see one to determne if water lines are also protected.

The Winnebago Micro Mini claims to have "enclosed and heated tanks", but I don't care for the styling.

The water systems in the following trailers appear to be unsuitable for freezing conditions:
  • nuCamp TAB 400 (awesome Alde hydronic heating, but unprotected water system)
  • Little Guy Max
  • Safari Condo
  • Black Series HQ15
Does anyone know if the Airstream Nest or Basecamp handle freezing conditions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles