The Mule's resurrection (99 Explorer Sport)

TeamKarkos

One more addition to the kit. Blackstone Griddle because Skottles look ridiculous and cost way too much. We also scored a little camp stove and a few other cooking goodies

Lesa_NeSmith

Every Han Solo needs a Chewbaca. This is mine, meet Kayli, the wonder mutt!

View attachment 513576

It is also clear that bins need to be on the short list...

View attachment 513579
Hey! I have a 96 Explorer - do you have the same problem that I do with no shut off switch for the dome lights? Have you figured out a solution so doors can be open a long time without killing the battery?
I love watching your progress

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

TeamKarkos

Hey! I have a 96 Explorer - do you have the same problem that I do with no shut off switch for the dome lights? Have you figured out a solution so doors can be open a long time without killing the battery?
I love watching your progress

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
I've switched most of my interior lights to LEDs so there is less draw, but I also don't leave my doors open for an extended period of time. I have left them on accidentally overnight (8 hours or so) without killing the battery though. LEDs for the win! You could always pull the fuse?

TeamKarkos

Rear shocks got installed this past weekend! Man what a difference, even though the old one's still had some life.

Before and after

Here is what's left of the evap canister tray...Salt is a bad thing.

I literally took off one of the three bolts and pulled with my bare hands and it basically disintegrated.

TeamKarkos

Next up are bumpstops on all four corners, 12v power to the rear...and I may have a cool idea for a battery tray where the spare tire use to go with access cut into the rear floor (sealed and vented to the outside.)

TeamKarkos

I'll have a few more updates with pictures soon! We took The Mule for it's first true off road test with a great group at the Badlands Off Road Park. The goal was to see what would break while off roading...something broke on the way there. We fixed it and hit the trails for the rest of the day without issue. I've also built a new roof rack. Why would I do that? To hold up the new RTT! I've also made an upgrade to the electrical by adding a new 400Wh Lithium power charger to assist with the fridge.

Oh, new bumper will be mounted to the front soon to help the new RCI skid plate protect the radiator and steering. Did I mention a winch is on it's way?

Picture will be up soon, I'm still trying to take a budget conscience approach, but it's all starting to add up for sure.

TeamKarkos

Oh, we have done a few things...
The Roof Top Tent is a Tuff Stuff and it also came with the annex, which we have not used just yet. It's mounted on a custom roof rack made from 1x1 steel and was built at Dominant Motorsport by the owner and myself. Really happy with this set up. More pics to come on the roof rack.
Let's back up a bit. I have removed the back seat and began building a platform that will eventually include storage where the back seat used to be
IS THAT A FRIDGE...yes, yes it is. I also added a lithium power station to the set up.
So far it's been good for overnight but I really need to add solar to make it truly sustainable.

As I have said before, you can't just wait until you build something to have fun. Met a group from Midwest Off Road at the Badlands Off Road Park in Indiana and had a GREAT time.

We even got to deal with a broken gas tank strap! yippee...we found a part and a Ford dealership changed it for free! That way I didn't have to lay in the pouring rain.

TeamKarkos

80C4D03C-DD2C-4281-9657-715676D76EFD.jpg

WE INTERUPT THIS THREAD TO BRING YOU A....Subaru??

I am still building the Explorer so the Mule is still a thing and I have no intentions of selling it, BUT my daughter bought my 16 Prius off of me....yes I drove a Prius...what are you looking at??

This new beauty is a 2019 Subaru Forester Limited. It will now serve as my daily driver and will be getting it's own build thread. Lift, tires, skids, and RTT. Bam! Softroader edition of the Mule. More to come.

TeamKarkos

The Mule's off road adventure brought my attention to one glaring weakness, underbody protection. So, I put a call into RCI and ordered up one of the few parts that are made for an explorer. The piece is so nice it's almost a shame to put in on the bottom of any vehicle, let alone one with so much rust.

Attachments

• FE206F88-BC72-443F-9063-723009377D39.jpg
    FE206F88-BC72-443F-9063-723009377D39.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19

TeamKarkos

A custom roof rack was built with the help of a buddy that owns Dominant Motorsports in New Lenox, Il. I'm EXTREMELY happy with the way this turned out. I can stand on it and the tent is rock solid now. It's made from 1x1 steel tubing and was painted with spray on bed liner.

Attachments

• IMG_1705.jpeg
    IMG_1705.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1723.jpeg
    IMG_1723.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Those sports were only 2wd right? My dads 4dr 99 still goes. 250,000!!! Never had anything but brakes, fluids and plugs. Its a pile but still runs.

85_Ranger4x4

Cool build! I have thought about doing something similar with a 4dr for a family rig. Now is the time to buy, they are stupid cheap and very available.

Those sports were only 2wd right? My dads 4dr 99 still goes. 250,000!!! Never had anything but brakes, fluids and plugs. Its a pile but still runs.

Sports were only 2dr, I think 2wd was an option but most around me opted for 4wd. FWIW also more likely to have a manual trans/t-case too.

TeamKarkos

Mine is a 4wd obviously, but it has the AWD transfer case and and the 5R55 trans. I love the 2 door and we just got back from Ouray, Silverton, etc. I'll post a few picks here, but we did 2700 miles in 6 days and some decent off roading and had ZERO issues! Success!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz