LR3/LR4: How to find the coveted rear locking diff

LR Max

Local Oaf
Lulz they want $10,950 for a 07 SE V8 with 112k on the clock...and a "rebuild" title (AKA salvage).

Half of me wants to hit them up and see if I can get it for cheap.

Exploder
Lulz they want $10,950 for a 07 SE V8 with 112k on the clock...and a "rebuild" title (AKA salvage).

Run. I bet someone left the sunroof open and frigged the computer(s). And that price is beyond ridiculous. I wouldn't pay more than $3k for a salvage LR3.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Claims front end damage. AKA someone here in ATL was on their phone and not paying attention.

I've dealt with salvage rebuilders. While they usually end up putting together a good car, they think their price commands what they've got in it.

Probably going to wait and find one that already has all of the crap done to it already.

MrWesson

Adventurer

Not to be that guy but I bought my 06 with 120k on the clock for 7k. HSE with every known option(besides locker).

I mean a rear locker helps run obstacles more smoothly but ive never heard a case where a non locked LR3 couldn't make an obstacle that a locked one could.. The traction control is really good in these things.

Knowing how lockers can create stress in the rear end and how expensive a diff rebuild can be i'd be looking for a non locked rig.

Exploder
Having run trails at the SAE site recently, I wouldn't sweat choosing an LR3 without a locker.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I'd prefer a rear diff locker if I could get it. However I have a feeling that I will have to do without, or later on get with ARBs.

The rear detroit in my 109 is pretty much the best thing ever, so naturally I'd gravitate towards it. In technical rocks it would make all of the difference, however if I'm in that situation with the LR3 I'm hoping to build, then I've got other things to worry about.

Exploder
They're two different animals. Find the best truck and throw ARB's in down the road; if you even decide that you need them.

MrWesson

Adventurer
I'd prefer a rear diff locker if I could get it. However I have a feeling that I will have to do without, or later on get with ARBs.

The rear detroit in my 109 is pretty much the best thing ever, so naturally I'd gravitate towards it. In technical rocks it would make all of the difference, however if I'm in that situation with the LR3 I'm hoping to build, then I've got other things to worry about.

Exactly if you feel that you need a rear locker as a tool for the job then the LR3 just isn't that tool. Its not a rock crawler.

Fact is you'll never even want an ARB locker either.. I know I don't.

Leave that for the mall crawlers with lots of stickers. The 4wd system will take you ANYWHERE you want to go and if a locker would make a difference you have no business being there.

Ray_G

Explorer
Exactly if you feel that you need a rear locker as a tool for the job then the LR3 just isn't that tool. Its not a rock crawler.

Fact is you'll never even want an ARB locker either.. I know I don't.

Leave that for the mall crawlers with lots of stickers. The 4wd system will take you ANYWHERE you want to go and if a locker would make a difference you have no business being there.

Amen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acmcgaha

Anyone know if the factory locker could be installed and powered by simply hooking up to a toggle switch vs. Running through the ecu? You would lose integration with the traction control, but would basically be on/off like ARB.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

zelatore

Explorer
Anyone know if the factory locker could be installed and powered by simply hooking up to a toggle switch vs. Running through the ecu? You would lose integration with the traction control, but would basically be on/off like ARB.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't believe so. It's not a simple 'on/off' locker but a progressive lock, at least as far as i remember. Perhaps you could make it work but I don't think it would be worth the hassle vs just doing an ARB at that point.

As for those who say you don't need one and if you do then you're in the wrong truck....I might disagree. I've been in situations with my LR3 where even the stock locker wasn't enough and I found myself wishing I had an ARB in the front. Of course you do run more risk of breaking stuff that way. I realize I use my LR3 harder than average but I'm not alone - just look at what Justin at Lucky8 does with his.

I will admit it's not the best tool for technical work, but that doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't try. It's just harder with a fatso like the LR3.

Mavriks

I don't believe so. It's not a simple 'on/off' locker but a progressive lock, at least as far as i remember. Perhaps you could make it work but I don't think it would be worth the hassle vs just doing an ARB at that point.

As for those who say you don't need one and if you do then you're in the wrong truck....I might disagree. I've been in situations with my LR3 where even the stock locker wasn't enough and I found myself wishing I had an ARB in the front. Of course you do run more risk of breaking stuff that way. I realize I use my LR3 harder than average but I'm not alone - just look at what Justin at Lucky8 does with his.

I will admit it's not the best tool for technical work, but that doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't try. It's just harder with a fatso like the LR3.
I have. 2013 RRS with Bridgestone Blizzaks (in winter). I’ve been stuck two times where all of the traction options in either hi or low range just gave me one spinning rear wheel.
The first was parked on hard pack snow 20’ off of the highway. Went xc skiing, came back in the afternoon and soft snow did me in. Flagged a passing pick up and he pulled me with a piece of rope on nearly level ground 20’ back to the pavement. Beware of soft snow! 2nd time slid off my driveway backing down hill. Spinning rear wheel digging in deep. About 2” of snow on driveway and deep/ soft on side. AAA pulled me out in a minute. Maybe I just need a winch?

Jwestpro

Explorer
In my search for a Rover I have used exactly the method above (It lets you check 5 VIN's per day). The very few that I have found with HD have all been HSE's, but I prefer to get an SE for a variety of reasons (wheel size, I use my own iPad based navigation). Does anyone know of a factory locker coming in an SE model? Does anyone have an SE model with factory HD? Ultimately, if I can't find that combination I'll go with an ARB (if I decide I even need it).

I almost bought a white 07 SE totally loaded incl locker when I chose my black 07 HSE which was also fully optioned but without the locker. I was too impatient to wait for an HD optioned Java black HSE or order one. I was buying it new in early 07 so I went with my color choice and have for the most part not cared about the HD since.

Now with air lockers available I'd prefer the manual control anyway.

parkerross85

I'm a newb I just got a 2005 LR3 SE a little over a month ago. I'm pretty sure this is with the locker the VIN Decoder says it has HD package with the locker and fullsize spare but I wanted to look and see for myself. But I also thought I should ask someone with more knowledge so someone can confirm it for me. I cant get to the top but this looks like what all the differentials I found with with lockers I see on ebay look like from the bottom where as the open ones the right side doesn't have that bulged case around it. Also can the Gap IID tool engage it?

Thanks
91bb167a-a44c-4f15-8e8f-1703af8059d3.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles