Jeep Gladiator #2 with ALU CAB.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I really really want to like these...I can't not focus on the odd shape of the rear doors.

Look forward to your build!

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I'm thinking about picking up a Gladiator...but it will depend on what type of gear is available. Please post some detailed pics of the AluCab setup! I'm dying to know more about it.

Thanks.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
definitely looking forward to some more pictures with the ALU CAB. Seems like that would be a great fit compared to a traditional fiberglass topper with how boxy the jeep is by nature. I love the windoors on my Power Wagon topper, the side access is really handy.

Last1Left

Have this one on my phone.

Attachments

• AE0DFBDC-55B3-4FD7-BF81-02C9E6091490.jpeg
    AE0DFBDC-55B3-4FD7-BF81-02C9E6091490.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 355
  • 314D7BDE-4F81-489C-A9D0-23E43BD9362F.jpeg
    314D7BDE-4F81-489C-A9D0-23E43BD9362F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 355

Bobzdar

Observer
Very cool!

I can't decide what direction to go for a bed topper - I want to be able to carry my family's bikes in the bed so that rules out something like this, and a tonneau cover doesn't really allow a slide/fridge setup. Maybe a soft top?

ChasingOurTrunks

Very cool!

I can't decide what direction to go for a bed topper - I want to be able to carry my family's bikes in the bed so that rules out something like this, and a tonneau cover doesn't really allow a slide/fridge setup. Maybe a soft top?

Depending on whether you opt for a rear tire carrier/swingout, you can get bike racks that mount to the spare tire bracket. I had one on my JK for a period of time. It keeps the bikes up high so they do not have any risk of interfering with approach angles (which is a problem with receiver mount carriers).

(The above isn't the one I had, just an example of what I mean).

I love that rig! I'm a huge fan of the aesthetic too -- very "Defender 110 Truck"-ish with those rear doors and that topper.

Bullseye240

Adventurer
I really really want to like these...I can't not focus on the odd shape of the rear doors.

The shape of the rear door is that way to keep cost down, both for FCA and Gladiator owners should they need to replace the door. Jeep didn't feel the expense of creating a specific door for the back of the Gladiator was necessary and this way should the owner need to replace the door they can just get a used or new JL door. For example, I had my LJ repainted and had to replace the decals and by a big margin the Unlimited decal was the most expensive because they sell far fewer Unlimited decals than they do Rubicon decals.

Bobzdar

Observer
Depending on whether you opt for a rear tire carrier/swingout, you can get bike racks that mount to the spare tire bracket. I had one on my JK for a period of time. It keeps the bikes up high so they do not have any risk of interfering with approach angles (which is a problem with receiver mount carriers).

(The above isn't the one I had, just an example of what I mean).

I love that rig! I'm a huge fan of the aesthetic too -- very "Defender 110 Truck"-ish with those rear doors and that topper.

The spare is mounted under the bed on Gladiators. Hence I want to put the bikes in the bed, which is difficult with a cap (my old truck had one and it was a PITA). I'm thinking a folding tonneau cover is what I want, but maybe something like this:

https://www.softopper.com/jeep-gladiator-softopper

Hitch mount won't work as I tow a camper for a lot of trips.

ChasingOurTrunks

The spare is mounted under the bed on Gladiators. Hence I want to put the bikes in the bed, which is difficult with a cap (my old truck had one and it was a PITA). I'm thinking a folding tonneau cover is what I want, but maybe something like this:

I've not heard much about those fabric tonneau which is probably a good thing -- I think we'd hear a lot about them if they were no good, so I'm sure that'll work. I know folks use them on Tacos so perhaps checking tacomaworld might net you better results. My immediate question would be about dust/water getting into the box, but they may have good enough seals and depending on your application that may not be a concern.

Are you planning on leaving the spare under the rig? It's a very vulnerable spot and often moving it can give a vehicle a few extra inches of clearance. Plus, if you need the spare because of a blow out on the rears, it could be tricky to get the tire out from underneath depending on the terrain. With the gladiator being so new there may not be rear bumper carriers available, and the beds on these mid-size trucks are so small that a tire in the bed would take up 1/3 the usable space.

Bobzdar

Observer
I've not heard much about those fabric tonneau which is probably a good thing -- I think we'd hear a lot about them if they were no good, so I'm sure that'll work. I know folks use them on Tacos so perhaps checking tacomaworld might net you better results. My immediate question would be about dust/water getting into the box, but they may have good enough seals and depending on your application that may not be a concern.

Are you planning on leaving the spare under the rig? It's a very vulnerable spot and often moving it can give a vehicle a few extra inches of clearance. Plus, if you need the spare because of a blow out on the rears, it could be tricky to get the tire out from underneath depending on the terrain. With the gladiator being so new there may not be rear bumper carriers available, and the beds on these mid-size trucks are so small that a tire in the bed would take up 1/3 the usable space.

On these trucks, the spare doesn't get in the way ground clearance wise. The lowest part of the rear of the truck is the hitch (which I need). You can fit up to a 35" spare, though you have to slightly deflate it . Given my truck has lockers and a winch, I think I can get it clear enough of an obstacle to change a tire, though that's a good point. In the case it becomes an issue, I think a mount to the outside of the bed on the passenger side might work, though it might require modifying the fender flare on that side. I'm betting there might be one in the works already, to be honest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94