Truck loads of Land Cruiser double cab pickups in South Florida this week

T-Willy

Toyota could meet the import requirements if they wanted too. They just don’t think that there is enough of a market for 70 series because we keep buying the Sequoias and Tundras they build here. If they had a 70 series assembly plant in Texas instead of Tundra, we could be driving way better vehicles.

I went to look at new Toyotas yesterday - Tacomas, Tundras, 4Runners and Sequoias. Too tech, no rigid front axles -- I wouldn't buy any of them, and especially not for 50 grand. I would however buy a 70 in a heartbeat. If forced to replace my 80 with a new rig right now, given US offerings, I sadly don't think it'd be a Toyota.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I went to look at new Toyotas yesterday - Tacomas, Tundras, 4Runners and Sequoias. Too tech, no rigid front axles -- I wouldn't buy any of them, and especially not for 50 grand. I would however buy a 70 in a heartbeat. If forced to replace my 80 with a new rig right now, given US offerings, I sadly don't think it'd be a Toyota.

Oh geez

nickw

Adventurer
Do any of you guys have any idea how much a 70 series would actually cost? Bare bones, "work" trucks, you looking $60k+. Can't do a simple AUS to USD calc. I'm guessing only a handful of folks (enthusiasts) would step and buy them, there is no market for work trucks at that price point when you could get a brand new F250 diesel, 4x4, solid axles, manual Tcase truck for less than $50k that can haul more. I suppose they could get around some of the taxes/tariffs and manuf stateside, but they are obviously not positioned to do that from a production standpoint.

C p weinberger

Had a friend in Tanzania used to buy 10 old Jeep cherokees at a time from Japan as they were right hand drive and cheap.. to use in the field installing and maintaining cell towers. 5 for driving 5 for spare parts. Hoped to get year out of group.
I drove my 1989 hj61/2 cruiser for 6 yrs, deep bush regularly, no break downs
Even the American Embassies in Africa got a special dispensation so they could buy Japanese vehicles instead of American ones.
I wouldn’t buy The older Toyota 70 here as it is not in its element here, but I wouldn’t take an American 4 x 4 into the bush overseas as they’re also not In their element over there.
All vehicles have their strengths and weaknesses.
MHO

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Do any of you guys have any idea how much a 70 series would actually cost? Bare bones, "work" trucks, you looking $60k+. Can't do a simple AUS to USD calc. I'm guessing only a handful of folks (enthusiasts) would step and buy them, there is no market for work trucks at that price point when you could get a brand new F250 diesel, 4x4, solid axles, manual Tcase truck for less than $50k that can haul more. I suppose they could get around some of the taxes/tariffs and manuf stateside, but they are obviously not positioned to do that from a production standpoint.

Then you gotta deal with it being a ford

redthies

Renaissance Redneck

There are plenty of people willing to pay the extra money for a Tacoma or a Tundra over a Ranger or F150. (The new Ranger is potentially going to win some of that back). I don’t see why that wouldn’t hold true for a HD diesel.

T-Willy

For what it's worth...

...In AUS, a new workmate Troop Carrier is $51,969.12 U.S.
...In AUS, a new 70 workmate wagon is $49K U.S.
...In Guatemala, a new 70 wagon is $48K U.S.
...In Costa Rica, new 4Runners are quite a bit more expensive than new 70 wagons.
...In Nicaragua new 70 series trucks are in the $30s; Tacomas in the upper $40s and Tundras in the low $60s.

nickw

Adventurer
For what it's worth...

...In AUS, a new workmate Troop Carrier is $51,969.12 U.S.
...In AUS, a new 70 workmate wagon is $49K U.S.
...In Guatemala, a new 70 wagon is $48K U.S.
...In Costa Rica, new 4Runners are quite a bit more expensive than new 70 wagons.
...In Nicaragua new 70 series trucks are in the $30s; Tacomas in the upper $40s and Tundras in the low $60s.
Like I said - you can't just convert to USD, doesn't work that way if they were to sell here.

nickw

Adventurer
Had a friend in Tanzania used to buy 10 old Jeep cherokees at a time from Japan as they were right hand drive and cheap.. to use in the field installing and maintaining cell towers. 5 for driving 5 for spare parts. Hoped to get year out of group.
I drove my 1989 hj61/2 cruiser for 6 yrs, deep bush regularly, no break downs
Even the American Embassies in Africa got a special dispensation so they could buy Japanese vehicles instead of American ones.
I wouldn’t buy The older Toyota 70 here as it is not in its element here, but I wouldn’t take an American 4 x 4 into the bush overseas as they’re also not In their element over there.
All vehicles have their strengths and weaknesses.
MHO
+1

D

Deleted member 9101

This.right.here.

I agree 100% and that probably makes us a very slim minority on this site...Haha.

nickw

Adventurer
There are plenty of people willing to pay the extra money for a Tacoma or a Tundra over a Ranger or F150. (The new Ranger is potentially going to win some of that back). I don’t see why that wouldn’t hold true for a HD diesel.
HD relative to what? A 70 series is not close to a 3/4 or 1 Ton domestic regarding payload or towing capacity. The only advantage is it's size and reliability, both of which I personally put value on but most don't. For "working" here in the states, why wouldn't you choose a cheaper more capable vehicle like a F250?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Because cheaper isn’t always better. That’s the fundamental problem with North American thinking. Bigger faster and cheaper equals better. That’s totally not true, but it’s the mentality that has Toyota, Nissan etc NOT wasting their time and effort importing quality work vehicles. Everything in our N.A. culture is about bigger and cheaper. The Big Gulp mind set will be the end of us...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne