Dometic CFX50 W Problems With Cooling Only 4 months Old

Trailguy

I purchased a Dometic CFX50W refrigerator/freezer January 29, 2019. I have used the cooler once over two days while in Big Bend. I planned to use it again this past weekend but ran into trouble. I loaded drinks, yogurt, meats, and cheese for my weekend trip Friday morning. I then paired the Dometic App on my iPhone with the CFX50W and set the temp at 34 degrees fahrenheit. The actual temp started out at 64 degrees since all of the items I placed into the fridge came from my home refrigerator. After about 3 hours I checked the App on my phone to insure the fridge temp had reached my setting of 34 deg. I was puzzled to see the fridge temp had actually gone up a couple of degrees. I went out to the fridge to double check the temp reading on the fridge itself and confirmed the temp was not going down. After troubleshooting the problem per the Dometic manual, I determined the fridge was in fact on, set to the right temp and even tried another dedicated 12 volt outlet in my truck to insure power was consistent to the fridge. I noticed the amber power light was on but when the unit compressor turned on the fan/compressor only runs for 2-3 seconds then turns off. It repeats this cycle about every 3-4 minutes resulting in a fridge that does not cool down.

I called the Dometic Support phone number to further diagnose the problem with the hopes of a fix. After more than 30 minutes on hold, I spoke with Cody in Support. She had me go through the same process as described in the manual and then told me she believed the control board had failed. She also said they have been having a number of similar problems with the model I have. She gave me the names of 2 local Dometic repair companies in the Dallas area and told me to contact them for scheduling a circuit board replacement. However, both companies I called told me they do not service the cooler. I had to call Dometic back and hold for another 30 minutes. I happed to get Cody again and explained the 2 service companies she referred me to did not service the fridge. She was puzzled because she said "they were listed on her pul down menu as authorized service centers" She then gave me the name of another service center located 45 minutes away in Denton Texas....not convenient!

I literally spent over 4 hours before my trip trying in vain to get the fridge to work. I purchased the fridge at REI and hope they will get my problem resolved.

Has anyone else had problems similar to mine with a Dometic portable fridge/freezer and have any advice? I can't find a local Dometic Rep for advice and simply want a reliable fridge?

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I purchased a Dometic CFX50W refrigerator/freezer January 29, 2019. I have used the cooler once over two days while in Big Bend. I planned to use it again this past weekend but ran into trouble. I loaded drinks, yogurt, meats, and cheese for my weekend trip Friday morning. I then paired the Dometic App on my iPhone with the CFX50W and set the temp at 34 degrees fahrenheit. The actual temp started out at 64 degrees since all of the items I placed into the fridge came from my home refrigerator. After about 3 hours I checked the App on my phone to insure the fridge temp had reached my setting of 34 deg. I was puzzled to see the fridge temp had actually gone up a couple of degrees. I went out to the fridge to double check the temp reading on the fridge itself and confirmed the temp was not going down. After troubleshooting the problem per the Dometic manual, I determined the fridge was in fact on, set to the right temp and even tried another dedicated 12 volt outlet in my truck to insure power was consistent to the fridge. I noticed the amber power light was on but when the unit compressor turned on the fan/compressor only runs for 2-3 seconds then turns off. It repeats this cycle about every 3-4 minutes resulting in a fridge that does not cool down.

I called the Dometic Support phone number to further diagnose the problem with the hopes of a fix. After more than 30 minutes on hold, I spoke with Cody in Support. She had me go through the same process as described in the manual and then told me she believed the control board had failed. She also said they have been having a number of similar problems with the model I have. She gave me the names of 2 local Dometic repair companies in the Dallas area and told me to contact them for scheduling a circuit board replacement. However, both companies I called told me they do not service the cooler. I had to call Dometic back and hold for another 30 minutes. I happed to get Cody again and explained the 2 service companies she referred me to did not service the fridge. She was puzzled because she said "they were listed on her pul down menu as authorized service centers" She then gave me the name of another service center located 45 minutes away in Denton Texas....not convenient!

I literally spent over 4 hours before my trip trying in vain to get the fridge to work. I purchased the fridge at REI and hope they will get my problem resolved.

Has anyone else had problems similar to mine with a Dometic portable fridge/freezer and have any advice? I can't find a local Dometic Rep for advice and simply want a reliable fridge?

This past weekend a friend asked me to trouble shoot his Dometic that had the same problem. It came in a new NoBo trailer he had just purchased so he has the RV dealer and company to fall back on.

I couldn’t help him as I have an older Engel that has been dead reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Does it work plugged into AC mains?

The manual says it has a green/orange/red power LED. Flashing orange means low voltage.

Might be a bad board...but not if it works on AC. If so, I'd suspect voltage drop from the power port when the compressor kicks in.

shade

REI has a one year warranty. I'd call them.

One of the best reasons to buy from REI.

Does it work plugged into AC mains?

The manual says it has a green/orange/red power LED. Flashing orange means low voltage.

Might be a bad board...but not if it works on AC. If so, I'd suspect voltage drop from the power port when the compressor kicks in.

Agreed. It doesn't take much voltage/current drop to disable a fridge. Not all OEM outlets can support the compressor starting load, and any power splitters or other modifications can make them drop out. It's also possible for something like this to indicate a weak battery, failing alternator, or some other electrical problem with the vehicle.

Good luck getting it going. What are you doing in Big Bend? I hope you're going to beat the heat in the Chisos Mountains.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Absolutely check it on an extension cord, if it works then it is your cig socket having too thin a wire or something limiting the amperage.

first check by running off AC. Chances are its the programming circuit board. I dont know what compressor they use but is its the danfoss/secop/nidec bd35f it should have a small black box next to it. there should be two terminals to look for , C and T towards the bottom, run a jumper wire between those. It will bypass the external control and programming circuits and turn on the compressor and fan. If its empty , it should hit 32°F in about 30 min or so. if that works you know its a circuit board issue. if it is have them send you a circuit board replacement and it should be an easy swap.

BOXARCH

I had a similar problem with an arb fridge plugged into an arkpak, once I plugged it to AC there were no more cycling on/off, everithing was OK with fridge. The problem was solved changing the 5y old battery inside the arkpak. Check your DC connections or battery first.

Trailguy

Upadate: Thanks for all of the feedback. REI was great and willing to take back the unit and order a replacement. However, since I told them Dometic Support concluded the problem was likely a circuit board defect (apparently they have had a number of circuit board problems), REI recommended I wait to see what Dometic recommended. REI didn't think it was a good idea to order a replacement because it could have the same defective board.

Dometic sent me an RGA number along with having UPS drop off a shipping label along with a 3 day pick up window. Friday morning i boxed up the defective cooler, added the UPS label, and wrote the RGA number on the box. Late Friday the replacement cooler arrived from the local Dometic distributer and UPS picked up the old cooler.

I haven't installed the new cooler but did open up the box and noticed the new cooler changed some. The light gray corner protectors and side lift handles on the new cooler are now dark gray. Hopefully the new cooler has a corrected circuit board.

BTW- I plugged had the old cooler into a dedicated lighter plug which I wired directly from a new dedicated AGM battery. The heavy gauge wires run from the battery to the back of my LX and into a Blue Sea fuse box. Then from there, heavy gauge wires run to the aux lighter receptacle located just behind my second row seat. I also tried the plugging into the factory Aux lighter in the rear cargo area of the LX with the same results. Finally, I also plugged the cooler into the AC socket in my garage via the factory AC connector cord, with the same results.

Trailguy

One of the best reasons to buy from REI.

Agreed. It doesn't take much voltage/current drop to disable a fridge. Not all OEM outlets can support the compressor starting load, and any power splitters or other modifications can make them drop out. It's also possible for something like this to indicate a weak battery, failing alternator, or some other electrical problem with the vehicle.

Good luck getting it going. What are you doing in Big Bend? I hope you're going to beat the heat in the Chisos Mountains.

I was in Big Bend a couple of months ago. The weather was warm during the day but cooled off in the evening. I don't think I would want to be camping without AC in Big Bend this time of year.

Trailguy

Almost certain it's undersized wire to the power outlet.

Thanks for the input. Undersized wire was not the problem. I ran a new heavy gauge wire direct from a dedicated AGM battery to a BlueSea fuse box, then heavy gauge wire to the aux lighter plug. It worked before even when connected to the factory Aux lighter plug which has tiny guage wire.

Last edited:

shade

I was in Big Bend a couple of months ago. The weather was warm during the day but cooled off in the evening. I don't think I would want to be camping without AC in Big Bend this time of year.
I'd be spending my time in the mountains, hiking way early, that sort of thing. I wouldn't mind paying a daily fee to stay in the campground, that's for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior