Completing your awning setup.

Photobug

I will be buying an awning soon as I am going to be camping a lot of July and August. I have questions on how to upgrade to get the most out of the setup. My biggest question is about lighting and gutters.

I have seen, but can't remember where a lighting setup that mounts to the awning bars and plugs into a 12v power source. Any suggestions on how to go about this? I have headlamps and other gas and battery lights for task-specific lights what I would like is some nice ambient lighting for under the awning hopefully a warm light.

Gutters: How do you keep out or limit the water from running off the roof into the opening between the awning and vehicle?

ttengineer

Adventurer
Super bright LEDs - 6$

Runs off a usb power source, like a backup battery, which is what I used.

It’s copper wire with LEDs soldered on. A little cumbersome to deal with but if you take your time when wrapping and unwrapping them it’s no big deal.

8f50497a8f9657c2d6d731b828c0f3c1.jpg

38d84941c42e88acda7e2d204ca67751.jpg

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mo...-lights-w-remote-control-copper-wire-32/4557/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Photobug

Super bright LEDs - 6$

Runs off a usb power source, like a backup battery, which is what I used.

It’s copper wire with LEDs soldered on. A little cumbersome to deal with but if you take your time when wrapping and unwrapping them it’s no big deal.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...-lights-w-remote-control-copper-wire-32/4557/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those are very cool thanks for that. I was looking at a similar set of lights for a bunch more money. I ordered a bunch of very cool lights from this company that will really step up my trucks lighting setup.

Stabwell

Stabwell

As far as filling the gap for runoff, that all depends on how the awning is installed and everyone might have their own solution. At some point, I'll cover the gap with a piece of fabric. Just long enough to lay across the awning and attach to my RTT with some Velcro on one side.

Photobug

I'm just spit ballin' here, but on the gutter solution, I think it may be a good idea to allow it to be adjusted at both ends for use on uneven ground.

It is likely the awning I will be buying will be freestanding. I really like the options I am looking at. I do appreciate the Rhino foxwing though. With freestanding awnings the setup is pretty much rigid, which makes it very easy to setup even in blustery conditions. It would be nice to be able to drop the poles and lower the awning if certain conditions. WIth a rigid awning I would have to put up walls to get extra shade and coverage as needed.

shade

It is likely the awning I will be buying will be freestanding. I really like the options I am looking at. I do appreciate the Rhino foxwing though. With freestanding awnings the setup is pretty much rigid, which makes it very easy to setup even in blustery conditions. It would be nice to be able to drop the poles and lower the awning if certain conditions. WIth a rigid awning I would have to put up walls to get extra shade and coverage as needed.
It's possible that you'll end up with a smooth transition from rooftop to awning, so the gutter will just divert all the water straight onto the awning.

If not, my point was that if you parked on a grade that allowed water to flow off of your vehicle, onto the gutter, and down the gutter to an undesirable place, you may want the ability to raise the low end of the gutter to send water the other way. In my application, having water stream to the front of my truck might dump it right onto a door, which would make opening that door not much fun. Just a thought, and it's one of those things that you probably won't know how it'll work out until the first storm with your awning deployed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12