Trailscape's 06 Tundra

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Looking good. Love seeing what you guys utilize the rack for. I have a box in the middle and it’s fairly easy to reach so doing that metal box sideways shouldn’t be an issue. Looking forward to what box you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trailscape

Explorer
The metal box just looks like it could be a really good fit and it's actually a bit shorter in height than the Rigid boxes. I'm still thinking about it. The rack sure has lots of versatility.

How are the Rigid boxes holding up on your truck? I picked one up to experiment with and got to thinking they'd see a lot of UV damage.

Looking good. Love seeing what you guys utilize the rack for. I have a box in the middle and it’s fairly easy to reach so doing that metal box sideways shouldn’t be an issue. Looking forward to what box you use.

trailscape

Explorer
My side awning was showing substantial fading and the top was pretty much bleached white from the sun.
The inside still looks brand new, so before ordering a replacement I decided to try some matte black vinyl paint.

I'm impressed with the results myself. I couldn't scratch it off with a nail, and you can't easily tell it's been painted unless you can spot the ARB logo. I'll see how it holds up over the summer and maybe do the other..

Figuring out a way to mount the awning was a challenge back when I got the topper. It's been solidly bolted in place using two Simpson Strong-Ties from Home Depot mean for deck framing.
The nice bit was that both ends of the bracket slot right into place on the metal seam trim that runs the length of the sides. This took most of the weight and stress off the brackets.
Here's the lower rear mount. It's a bit messy due to silicon applied underneath for extra sealing. It hasn't budged since 2015, but I decided to respray them with some rustoleum bedliner.

trailscape

Explorer
New outer tied rods.. It's been a year for front end work I guess. So far, oem lower balljoints, aftermarket upper arms and new oem cv axles.

Also swapped out the serpentine belt to a Goodyear Gatorback. Would've been a ten minute job if the new belt wasn't so damn stiff.

Kpack

Adventurer
I should have done Toyota OEM on my tie rods when I did them a couple years back. I have some occasional "popping/snapping" from my driver's side when I first start moving and I'm suspecting tie rods. Shouldn't be my LBJ's, as those are new OEM as of two years ago (less than 15K miles).

I love my Goodyear Gatorback belt. No noise ever. It was very tight to install though.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
The metal box just looks like it could be a really good fit and it's actually a bit shorter in height than the Rigid boxes. I'm still thinking about it. The rack sure has lots of versatility.

How are the Rigid boxes holding up on your truck? I picked one up to experiment with and got to thinking they'd see a lot of UV damage.

Yeah I think the metal would would work pretty good especially if you need to store longer stuff.

The rigid boxes have been holding up good. I know a few co workers who are solar installers use them and they hold up well. Since mine don’t move. I don’t see any issues with them. They are waterproof so I’m assuming the material is outdoor rated. They are sold for construction guys.

trailscape

Explorer
Here's some foam inserts for the Ridgid boxes that look like they could be pretty useful. Not sure if you've seen these before. It gives me some more ideas for them.

Yeah I think the metal would would work pretty good especially if you need to store longer stuff.

The rigid boxes have been holding up good. I know a few co workers who are solar installers use them and they hold up well. Since mine don’t move. I don’t see any issues with them. They are waterproof so I’m assuming the material is outdoor rated. They are sold for construction guys.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Haven’t seen those but I don’t need or want them. They take up space.

trailscape

Explorer
I put the truck on a scale today.

Front axle: 2880lbs
Rear axle: 2760lbs
Gross: 5640lbs

This was with my static load, me and a half tank of gas. Basically included everything that's bolted down plus the fridge.

I don't know how the front axle is typically weighed, but he had me pull the front end up just a bit off the scale.

trailscape

Explorer
1cfaa3e8aa377607d0b4f4512ba40454.jpg

I guess I need some wheel spacers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trailscape

Explorer
e0838e454f42a47dcb3cdf98741dbacf.jpg

I saw my transmission temps hitting the 190’s while stuck in traffic and that’s got me thinking the B&M cooler I installed might not be adequate when I really need it.

I’m going to try out this electric fan and if that doesn’t help I’ll try either putting the stock cooler back in addition. Fluid was changed last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kpack

Adventurer
Tell me more about how you set up your fan and aftermarket cooler. I have the factory cooler and it does okay, but I'd like to have the ability to flip an aux fan on to drop the temps faster. On the trails I'll hit close to 200 when constantly going uphill.

trailscape

Explorer
Tell me more about how you set up your fan and aftermarket cooler. I have the factory cooler and it does okay, but I'd like to have the ability to flip an aux fan on to drop the temps faster. On the trails I'll hit close to 200 when constantly going uphill.

I'm still working this one out and trying to understand the gist of it. These coolers supposedly start to work at a certain temp and use a bypass valve until it's reached.

I'll have the fan wired to a rocker switch, but I didn't get that far today. It's bolted up using some of the brackets from the cooler kit and existing bolt holes. The new cooler replaced the oem version so it was fairly easy. I just did the zip tie install that mounts it directly to the AC condenser. I'll probably redo it later and add some space between the two as it should help some.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
My understanding is that the stock cooler should not be bypassed as most aftermarket ones do not have enough cooling capacity. Stock its a water-to-trans fluid internal to the radiator with an optional extra one if you have the towing package if I remember correctly.

I am planning to add one of these inline.

Sean

I bypassed the radiator trans cooler and run the factory external transcooler Inline with a second external aftermarket cooler with a fan.
7fbf00cba5a94b5ce8b20034572ca974.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier