Sand mats

Ramdough

Adventurer
What do you guys use for large heavy vehicles (26,000 lb +) for sand mats?

Where would you source them in the US?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

llamalander

A roll of chain-link fence will do to get a semi on and off a beach, but its a bit much to haul around.
You might consider sections of fiberglass grating, which has a pretty huge surface area for anchoring, and can be made with a gritty grip surface.
I use 2"x2" grid 2" thick, and only flexes a little when I use it as a ramp for my 3-ton truck (48" x 16"). Not the cheapest or the lightest option out there, but super strong, durable and rust free. Look up industrial grating to find a supplier, some might have off-cuts for a reasonable price.
Careful how you mount them though, they will saw through any strap given the chance--better to bolt them on.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Two of the larger size of these are what GXV provided in the extraction kit we purchased with our truck. They will get curved when used but I turned them over and drove over them on a flat surface to straighten them out again.

My concern is that they would potato chip and never go back into storage under really heavy truck use. Is that concern unfounded?

Ramdough

Adventurer
A roll of chain-link fence will do to get a semi on and off a beach, but its a bit much to haul around.
You might consider sections of fiberglass grating, which has a pretty huge surface area for anchoring, and can be made with a gritty grip surface.
I use 2"x2" grid 2" thick, and only flexes a little when I use it as a ramp for my 3-ton truck (48" x 16"). Not the cheapest or the lightest option out there, but super strong, durable and rust free. Look up industrial grating to find a supplier, some might have off-cuts for a reasonable price.
Careful how you mount them though, they will saw through any strap given the chance--better to bolt them on.

I looked into those grates once. I was concerned that they would splinter if they ever caught a rock.

gregmchugh

Observer
My concern is that they would potato chip and never go back into storage under really heavy truck use. Is that concern unfounded?

I have only used them once and only on one side. The one I used did get bowed but I drove over it after turning it over on flat ground and it flattened back out and went back in place where they are stored (they are stacked and bolted to the underside of the camper box above the generator on the driver side of the truck). Not sure what might happen if they got really bent but driving over them on flat ground should get them straight enough to remount them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles