2016-2017 F150 4x4 EcoBoost - Real world experiences??

deserteagle56

Adventurer
So you are a 3.5L, 6 sp. tranny, with 3.55 gears? As I search trucks on Autotrader for 2017, every one so far has been the 6 speed. I have not found a 10 speed truck listed yet (unless the listings are wrong, which I find to be true at times).

That's correct.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Do you have a bigger gas tank? How the hell are you getting approx 700 miles on a full tank?

I admit I have a lead foot and drive about 85 MPH but I have the 2.7 EB and am at 16.1 MPG...highest I ever got was 21 MPG when I was on an 8 hour road trip to Big Sur and was 75 MPH cruise control the whole time.

Pretty darn easy with these trucks if you have the 36 gallon tank. As I said above, my lifetime average is 20.9 mpg - running 80+ mph sucks the gas - but if I'm not spending a lot of time on the freeway the mileage is superb. See my photo I just took below. 134 miles since I filled the truck and the gauge is just coming off the full mark. 766 miles to empty!

Looking at my Excel spreadsheet, the ONLY time my truck ever went below 18 mpg was when I spent half a day in 4-LO on mountain switchbacks - lots of elevation gain.

lilkia

First this is just my opinion and experience if yours varies so be it. We have close to a 100 of the ecoboost 150s in our fleet. The older batch are 2013-14s which make up the majority. 2015-19 make up about 20%. The newer ones are put together a little nicer but dont have the miles to really comment on. The older ones just plain suck. We drive in dirty dusty offroad conditions and need something fast, controllable, and reliable. The ecoboost v6 sucks. The majority of our older trucks are having turbo issues at the 50-70k mile mark. Ever driven a fullsize v6 with a turbo that doesnt work? I have repeatedly and its a dog. Even the ones that still work seemed to have dropped in power. When they work theyre fast and have plenty of power but they dont handle worth a crap in rough or slippery conditions. The aluminum box is too freaking light. Pickups are bad enough but an empty aluminum bed just doesnt stay planted. Theres also a good bit of turbo lag across the years. Its not as bad as early turbo cars but can be a bit squirrely with a light bed and wet terrain. Its also a different kind of power than say a v8. Its a shame because I really like the newer ones on the road and the interiors are nice. Its comfortable when you spend hours at a time in them but I bet the same thing happens as the older ones. Turbos, dust and long time reliability just dont work.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Do you have a bigger gas tank? How the hell are you getting approx 700 miles on a full tank?

I admit I have a lead foot and drive about 85 MPH but I have the 2.7 EB and am at 16.1 MPG...highest I ever got was 21 MPG when I was on an 8 hour road trip to Big Sur and was 75 MPH cruise control the whole time.

I have the 36 gallon tank.
After driving from Rock springs WY to West Yellowstone and then 3 days in yellowstone NP.
Lots of stop and go. Just filled up and saw a 900 mile range... ha. That's a first. :)

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Which transmission are you rolling with - 6 sp. or 10 sp.? Looks like a 10 sp. based on the numbers to the right side of the display.

Correct.
All 2018 will have the 10 speed.
It skips a few gears as you accelerate, but it also allows for a very low cruise rpm while @65 mph.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
The dash is off a little mine normally by 1mpg but even with that it's still great MPG. I'm a little heavier than you with Lariat but my best tank ever in 30k miles is 19.33mpg (true not dash). That's probably 75% Hwy, and flat.

I see around 18-19 in the city, and if you push @80 mph the mpg drops.... but the trucks sweet spot is 65mph, where I routinely see mid 20's.

Dougnuts

I have a 2018 XLT 3.5TT with max tow and sport package. After a year and 25k miles, I am still in love with it.

I get 17-19mpg city and 20-23mpg hwy. Mine has the rear electronic locker, trailer back up assist and 36 gallon tank.

I would stay away from the newest 5.0 and the pre-2017 3.5TT. I see no compelling reason to prefer the 2.7TT unless you find the truck you want and that’s what it’s got. Other than the rare rough shift from the 10 speed, I think it’s smooth, efficient and largely does it’s job without being noticed. It seems to be in the right gear 99% of the time and half of the ratios are not noticeable when the shift occurs.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Turbos, dust and long time reliability just dont work.

I think there must be some other factor involved. I did a lot of research before I decided on the 3.5 Ecoboost; if you spend as much time on the F150 forums as I did you'll see there is almost no discussion of anyone having a turbo problem. Secondly, I have been a miner all my life - and the mine I worked for for the past 20+ years has a lot of the Ecoboost Fords. Granted, most of the pre-2015 trucks are the V8s but all of the newer ones are Ecoboosts. You can be sure I talked to the mechanics who worked on them to get their take before ordering my truck. Those trucks live in dirt all their lives. Lastly, I've had several diesel pickups with a turbocharged engine and not one has ever had a problem with the turbo. Heck, today I spent 6 hours working a turbocharged diesel tractor, in dust so thick it was zero visibility at times. As long as the filters are properly maintained dust should be no more of a problem to a turbocharged engine than to any other.

lilkia

I think there must be some other factor involved. I did a lot of research before I decided on the 3.5 Ecoboost; if you spend as much time on the F150 forums as I did you'll see there is almost no discussion of anyone having a turbo problem. Secondly, I have been a miner all my life - and the mine I worked for for the past 20+ years has a lot of the Ecoboost Fords. Granted, most of the pre-2015 trucks are the V8s but all of the newer ones are Ecoboosts. You can be sure I talked to the mechanics who worked on them to get their take before ordering my truck. Those trucks live in dirt all their lives. Lastly, I've had several diesel pickups with a turbocharged engine and not one has ever had a problem with the turbo. Heck, today I spent 6 hours working a turbocharged diesel tractor, in dust so thick it was zero visibility at times. As long as the filters are properly maintained dust should be no more of a problem to a turbocharged engine than to any other.

Regardless the fact remains most of our trucks have had turbo issues after 50k. Plus oil consumption issuesin as little as 10k miles.

Dalko43

Explorer
Micsilanous comments: I have always had Toyotas and this truck is the best truck ever. With that said it's not a Toyota and the build quality annoys me. Also it's been at the dealer more days than all of my lifetime Toyotas combined. It hasnt broken down and left me stranded or anything and I would still take it wherever without fearing that but just way too many major mechanical fixes. I am really really hoping the 2021 Tundra is worth it.

The last time it was at the dealer they gave me an XLT 2wd 2.7. Holy crap the 2.7 is nuts good. I didn't even look at them when I got my truck but that thing is a champ.
On the year subject DO NOT get a pre 2017 3.5, in 2017 it's almost a whole new 3.5 and one major change is the extra port injector which serves many purposed one of which is helping the carbon bulid up all DI engines face. You'd have to check but I think the 2.7 got this change in 2018. The 10 Speed is blah, yes better MPG and there are sometimes it's so amazingly smooth and others it makes retarded shifts and clunks around. I already had them replace the valve body and update the programming due to this stuff. Little better now but it just is what it is.

^This.

F-150 may have some build quality issues, though overall they seem to be better built compared Ram and GM 1/2 tons.

Also, do your research on the various years/updates. The early ecoboost engines (with only direct injection) have had issues. If I were to get an ecoboost F-150, I would only consider those with direct + port injection.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

I have a 2017 f150 fx4 supercrew, 3.5 ecoboost, 6” lift and 35s, max tow package (36 gal tank is nice), average 16+ mpg out here in CO. Towing my 3300lb offroad camper trailer I average 13.5mpg going through the mountain passes on trips. The EB will get up and go. Like someone mentioned, the lariat doesn’t come with the front bench. I bought it with 3200 miles on it 4/2018 and it now has 27k.

First thing I did was disable the start/stop feature in forscan along with recalibrating the speedo for the larger tires. No more pressing the button to turn off the stupid start/stop feature.

I like it so much, we take the truck everywhere even though the wife has a new jeep grand cherokee trailhawk and I have a LJ that now just sits in the garage after being my DD for 5yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2015 Lariat F150 6speed 2.7tt 3.73gearing. 60k miles. Zero issues. Extended range fuel tank. Empty as my DD I average 20.5mpg mostly highway driving, 40 miles commute each way. I average 65mph on those drives. 740miles cruising range with a full tank. Get the 36gal tank. Get the offroad package and get the 4A feature and the e-locker. "4 wheel drive automatic". I have a supercab, and my truck is way light in the back. I use the 4A feature a lot driving wet roads on hills, and it's been great for winter driving. Going from a stop on a wet hill can cause me to burn out. 4A adds more complexity, but the convenience of being able to turn it on if I'm going into the hilly part of the city when it's raining, or just putting it on when I've got snow on the ground is so nice. Last winter I used it extensively during my commute. You can leave it on at highway speeds. I like the tech stuff. Heated/cooled seats. The truck is awesome on long road trips. Go test drive a few. I would recommend getting the tow mirrors combined with the blind spot sensing. I also wish I had gotten the 360-degree camera system just for the convenience.

I got my truck before getting married and knowing that we are looking at having kids I am also considering trading it in for a crew cab. Right now I am stuck between just getting a crew cab version of the truck I have with Lessons Learned. Tow mirrors/360 camera. Personally I'm considering going with a super duty because I am interested in a crew cab with a six and a half foot bed which would be the exact same size as the F-350 that I'm eyeballing. I don't mind being a guinea pig so I may pull the trigger on the 7.3. Another option would be the Bronco because realistically I can just use a utility trailer for hauling.

The 2.7tt has been outstanding. It does have a little lag, but it's a damn rocket-ship. I fancy the idea of getting the 3.5tt for my next truck. I wouldn't hesitate on the 2.7tt if you don't mind the "turbo" part of it. If it's a matter of price and timing and everything else lines up, don't let the 2.7tt be a deal breaker. Test drive it. The 5.0 is also solid.

The only two things that I have encountered that I truly find obnoxious is the fact I cannot get a nice ARB front bumper or easily find a snorkel. I'm considering getting a buckstop bumper that can accept a winch. I currently have a big Ole police style "grill gaurd". Thing is heavy duty and has already saved my truck from various foes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles