New trucks and 4low...

rho

Lost again
So, my partner and I are sort of in the process for looking for a commuter/dd car or truck and as part of that we went to go check out some new GM trucks to see what was up with them. All the new engine and transmission options that we saw from the 15 or so we looked at were fine, and about half of then were '4x4'. Interior was great, suspension was awesome and most of them drove really really well... But what struck me as really unusual was how many of those 4x4 trucks didn't have a 2 speed transfercase. And of course most mfgs aren't listing specs either.

I can sort of see the mfgs perspective of putting a cheaper tcase in most trucks given how many won't see off road use, but it still strikes me as an odd thing given that people might be more inclined to get stuck or end up in a situation where they need that low range and don't have it, all because of a '4x4' on the side of the bed. Granted most these days never see dirt at all and tend to get used as glorified commuter trucks, it still makes me wonder...

We still haven't found a DD yet, either!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Just GM being GM. Is it the weird Auto 4wd or something?

Ford and Dodge still have 4L on any model I'm interested in.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Yet, another reason I am staying away from GM. I didn't believe this until I just looked it up. It's got that 4WD auto garbage, and 4HI, but no 4Lo. 2-speed transfer cases are available, however. But as part of some package.
  • 3 Transfer Case modes
  • 2WD HI mode
  • Vehicle operates in 2-wheel drive
  • In this mode the transfer case & front driveline hardware are disengaged to improve fuel economy
  • Suitable for routine driving on all road surfaces
  • 4WD Auto mode
  • 4WD Auto enables the t-case to provide the performance benefits of a full time active AWD system
  • The 4WD Auto controls automatically adjust torque in response to parameters such as driver inputs, wheel slip control, vehicle dynamic state (understeer/oversteer)
  • Ideal for wet or wintry conditions, but can be used on any road surface. Suitable for light off road usage
  • 4WD HI mode
  • Transfer case engages front driveline and power is transferred to both the front & rear axles
  • In 4WD HI the transfer case clutch maintains higher preemptive torque levels for increased traction vs 4 Auto
  • Suitable for use on slippery road surfaces or off-road conditions such as deep sand, snow or rough terrain
  • Terrain mode
  • 4WD HI and provides improved low speed traction and vehicle control during off road driving

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Let's be honest, how often do you actually see a full-size truck off the pavement in a situation that requires 4-lo? Shoot, even on the portal the majority of pictures are in campgrounds or on dirt roads.
This is true. I'm sure there are lots of full size truck owners who don't require 4 Lo. And if you can save some money by skipping it...

vargsmetal

It's a consumer thing, not a GM thing. If you look at any half tons, and fullsize SUVs in particular, there will be options for AWD or "auto 4wd" transfer cases because it's what the average consumer wants in a grocery getter/commuter truck. Even Jeep has had the autotrac cases going back to the early 2000s. I'd think your work truck trims will still come with 4Lo, and any HD should have 4Lo. Auto 4wd is not cheaper by any means, they're usually more expensive, and more prone to failure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Plenty of users have no idea what the low range button does, and it just causes customer frustration and confusion. Don't make the mistake of assuming your (our) needs/wants are a significant part of the market. We are just a drop in the bucket. They do extensive focus groups and testing, as well as seeing how often various features are used. It seems low range isn't one of them.

Plus, the new 7+ speed transmissions have enough gear spread, that with a torque converter unlocked, they have a passable crawl ratio.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I use mine every other weekend.
-beach
-ditch
-crossing a small, fallen tree trunk, slowly
-anything wet or uphill in Coshocton county
-city mulch pile
-my back yard
-visiting friends ranch
None of that is Overlanding.

Ya'll just need better friends, or move somewhere to use your trucks more.

The major suck with auto 4wd, is that you don't have a locked in real 4wd. It just grabs a clutch. When that clutch starts slipping......... Like an Auburn E locker for example. Of course, if it works well, then it's no issue. Ya'll can guinea pig that. Not me.

With my luck, I'd burn up the front drive clutch on my first week long trip.

Last edited:

billiebob

4LO has really limited uses. 99% of pickup owners don't even realize they have it. 98% never need it.

What strikes me as unusual is not being able to buy a plain jane 4x4 without rugs, a radio or back up camera.
Full size 4x4s today are yesterdays Lincolns, Cadillacs and Imperials. But with added luxury.

I think all the 2500/3500 series trucks have 4LO

Last edited:
Reactions: MCX

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
4LO has really limited uses. 99% of pickup owners don't even realize they have it. 98% never need it.

What strikes me as unusual is not being able to buy a plain jane 4x4 without rugs, a radio or back up camera.
Full size 4x4s today are yesterdays Lincolns, Cadillacs and Imperials. But with added luxury.
Imperials? That's goin back a few years! Lol

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Every minor change to a design means big costs in assembly, logistics, and documentation. MFGs strive to have the fewest variants of their vehicles possible. So many options (like no radio or carpets) is either special order (fleet), or not even offered. Changing the drivetrain often means redoing the certification tests for crash, fuel economy, emissions, and/or performance. Those aren't cheap.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
One more reason to get a HD. Really though the only time I've ever used low range was towing heavy up a slow steep hill, or towing heavy over slow rough terrain. I've known 50 plus year old life long "truck guys" who don't know what it's for.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I use 4L all the time. Mostly for situating my rig at a camp site. Granny gear is great for driving over logs, pulling up on leveling blocks, off-camber stuff, pulling things into or out-of the road, backing up with a trailer (especially in the woods). Anytime that slow, controlled driving is either desirable or necessary...then 4Low is worth having.

The only time I use 4Hi is when driving on very bad icy roads or sketchy snow and would like to go faster than 15 MPH while doing it. Personally I wouldn't want 4WD without 4L.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles