Teardrop #4

Teardropper

In my limited use of playing with glass, my epoxy mix started hardening way too fast...

That's probably because you mixed too big of a batch or kept it in the container too long. On this build, I mixed up (numerous) 6-ounce batches and as soon as they were stirred, I dumped them on the surface and moved it around with a squeegee. As long as you get it out of the container, you've got a long long time to deal with it. Otherwise, it makes its own heat and will pop off real quick.

"but definitely a skill.. one which I don’t have..."

There's only one way to become proficient.

T

Teardropper

Dry fit the wall today just before I gave the floor its third coat of poly.

Ok6lkGu.jpg

The hatch will seal on the backside of the floor so I needed to make sure I had a 3/8" gap for my 1/2" D-seal.

By this time tomorrow it'll be glued and screwed. ?

T

Last edited:

Teardropper

I didn't think the poly would be dry enough, but I pulled it off.

But it's good to have a wall up and off the bench. I can start working on the bulkheads and other interior parts.

T

billiebob

It is easy, it is all about prep, planning, execution. Mix is easy. Temperature control a must. Pre cut all the glass. Have extra hands. Have a plan.It ain't rocket science. Baby steps.

Louisd75

Adventurer
Looking good T,

I found a leak under my Fantastic Fan flange during a thunderstorm and got to do a trail fix the next day. Fortunately the roof is strong:
IMG_1692.jpg

Louisd75

Adventurer
Any thoughts on a proper installation?

Plan A is butyl tape with a bead of poly sealant around the edges.

T
I'm not sure. Original install was with a liberal application of Sikaflex 221 between the flanges and roof. We didn't have any moisture issues for several rainy trips. The big difference is that this trip has been the hottest weather we've traveled in and we've had a lot more oil canning. I think that may have worked the bond between the fan and roof. I did not have a perimeter fillet of sealant around the flange. I picked up some RTV at a small town Ace and installed a fillet at the next campsite. I also covered every screw head. We're still on the road and it's raining now, so I should know soon if this worked. I am planning on pulling the fan and reinstall it once we get off the road.

Louisd75

Adventurer
Any thoughts on a proper installation?

Plan A is butyl tape with a bead of poly sealant around the edges.

T

Thought about this a little more. I used butyl tape on the front windows. The windows have been installed for over a year at this point but I still get squeeze out from the tape. You may run into an issue where the butyl tape squeezes out and pushes the poly out of the way. I'm not sure if this would lead to a leak or not. I did have a couple of front window leaks early on that I solved by tightening the frames.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior