GMT800 People - Opinions wanted on upgrades/mods

Looks awesome. Did you make these mounts for the rack you posted earlier in the thread? The CAD design.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

stomperxj

Explorer
Looks awesome. Did you make these mounts for the rack you posted earlier in the thread? The CAD design.

Thanks (y) I'm trying to make the rails that go with the mounts as universal as possible. The rails will have a lot of mounting holes for either u bolt clamps or other means of fastening mainstream racks. But yes the main goal is to fit the rack I am designing.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Looks good. I'm presuming the rack sides would fit outboard of the brackets?
Too, since you are overlapping the factory rack footings, are you making use of the factory threaded holes? I'm fairly certain they rack mount holes are the same on all versions LS/LT/LTZ, despite the bulkier design of the Z-series racks.

stomperxj

Explorer
Updates?

Looks good. I'm presuming the rack sides would fit outboard of the brackets?
Too, since you are overlapping the factory rack footings, are you making use of the factory threaded holes? I'm fairly certain they rack mount holes are the same on all versions LS/LT/LTZ, despite the bulkier design of the Z-series racks.

Correct I am using the factory holes. The top rails can be mounted leg out or in and inboard or outboard of the feet so you have a bit of wiggle room for rack width depending on what you have.

No updates really. Been super busy with work but I am going to get some drawings finished and sent off to a local laser cutter for another prototype set next week.

I'll post pics as soon as I get them back

hogdoc

Hey Stomper, are you still in Kuna? Iam, King/Luker area, was just looking at my factory rack a couple weeks ago and thinking about mounts much like yours, then got sidelined with a water pump/radiator replacment. Would love to check out your brackets in person.

stomperxj

Explorer
Hey Stomper, are you still in Kuna? Iam, King/Luker area, was just looking at my factory rack a couple weeks ago and thinking about mounts much like yours, then got sidelined with a water pump/radiator replacment. Would love to check out your brackets in person.

Yep I'm still here. Right in the middle of town north ish of central main st. I have ordered a full set of brackets with rails so as soon as they are done I'll post up here with pics. Swing by any time. PM me for an address (y)

stomperxj

Explorer
Well after 7 weeks the laser shop finally delivered. Not sure what the problem was but they graciously hand delivered them to my door. Hopefully going to get a test fit in this week. I ordered all my hardware so it should be here in a couple days. They weigh 13.6lbs as they sit so add a bit for fasteners and paint and they will probably be right at 15lbs. Not sure how that compares to anything else on the market. Once this is done I'll start on the Suburban version

Stay tuned (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior