Van Compass Ford Transit Build - 1 TON 4x4 conversion

Van Compass

Observer
Update - 300 miles of mixed driving so far. Van is getting about 11 mpg, better than expected. The range is so much better with the 40 gallon tank. Was only getting 12-13mpg as a 2wd van. The speedo is correct for the tire size with the tone ring mod. The divorced Atlas transfer-case is very noticeable over 70mph. We plan to try some different bushings to reduce some of the flex the current mount has. Not sure if it will make it the gear noise worse, better or stay the same. Totally drive-able as is, but would like to try for an improvement. I wish the Transit was body on frame construction.

We are doing a drive from Post Falls, ID to Atascadero, CA starting Thursday for a wedding. Heading over to the Mammoth Lakes area Sunday night to do some exploring before heading to Overland Expo.

Len.Barron

Observer
gear noise has always been the hit on the aftermarket cases...Atlas is about the best but when you wind them up to modern hwy speeds I've never heard a quiet one... making a custom divorce mount for an NV241OR would get you a 4 to 1 case that is quiet at 80mph plus.. they are bulletproof, I run one behind a warmed up LS2 on tons/40" IROKs..

Van Compass

Observer
gear noise has always been the hit on the aftermarket cases...Atlas is about the best but when you wind them up to modern hwy speeds I've never heard a quiet one... making a custom divorce mount for an NV241OR would get you a 4 to 1 case that is quiet at 80mph plus.. they are bulletproof, I run one behind a warmed up LS2 on tons/40" IROKs..

Good idea. I wish someone made a NV241OR adapter to make it a divorced case.

Schmitty1322

I saw the Transit at Overland Expo. It was love at first sight. Incredible! It's the van of my dreams. I'll be watching the development and tweaking of the prototype very closely. Great workmanship guys.

Len.Barron

Observer
Good idea. I wish someone made a NV241OR adapter to make it a divorced case.
whomever builds an adapter for the new GM/Ford 10spd 2wd version to the standard NV/NP t-case pattern (with 23/32spline input options) is going to be in high demand, that trans is going to be the "go to" in the next 10yrs of project building..

Van Compass

Observer
When will you be offering this to the public?
It won't be a kit for a long time. We might get a low roof 130 this winter and do another build so both Rob and I have built Transits. It will be done in similar fashion, but much more refined with pre-fab cross-members that should speed up the conversion process and now we know what parts to order a the start. Same lift height but do body work to clear 40s. We might take on customer jobs that want to leave a van for a few months to have the work done. It's tough to stop our product development we have going for the new Sprinter VS30 and Transit AWD, and current offerings. Everything we build is for sale... for the right price. I want to keep it, but we are always going to need to buy new vans to keep up on the new platforms.

Ordering 4.88 gears and electric lockers this week. ? Should cruz at 70 mph at 2300 rpm in 6th with 4.88s and give me gearing if I want to step up to 37s with a little trimming.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
How much fender work was required to clear the setup you have going now?

ncos

I've had my 190 Watt panel mounted to the factory roof bars for 8 months and finally got the wires passed through the roof. More wiring projects to do....

We made a storage trunk for the Sprinter and figured we should try it in the Transit. It will makes a great place to mount my house batteries low and out of the elements.

I haven't seen your trunk offered for the transit, but clearly you made it work. I'm curious about installing one on an extended long wheel base after re-locating the spare. Any obvious problems with that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior