Just Downsized to a Renegade (build and trips)

crossed-up

Observer
With another Euro trip to the Alps planned in August and various issues needing to attention on the WK, I decided to down size to a Renegade Trailhawk a few weeks ago so I could spend more time travelling and less time working on the WK. Double the fuel economy was also attractive given that most of my planned trips involve 1000's of road miles to get to and from the trails.

The swap required the ‘quart into a pint pot’ project of transferring my drawer/kitchen system to the smaller vehicle. My brother has an almost identical Trailhawk so I was already familiar with some of the potential space limtitations, but figured I could come up with a workable solution, and in the end I pretty much managed to fit all WK kit in, even the waffle boards will go in with a bit of cutting.

Obviously the Renegade’s luggage space is smaller than the WK but its’s actually a lot deeper, albeit it has to house the spare wheel. After taking various measurements I figured my drawer and fridge slide build would actually fit with a bit of timing and fettling. In the end I opted to remove the floor board (quite thichk and surprisingly heavy.), and turn the spare upside-down to create a useful and accessible storage space below the draw, but I would need to make up some sort of mounting arrangement to support the drawer. I opted to make a perimeter frame of 10mm tube fastened to the rear cargo hook mounts to support the rear of the drawer, and pick up on the rear seat mount at the front. Following the mounting of the drawer I replaced the rear shelf (again surprisingly heavy) with a full width and deeper 9mm ply version as a further storage platform for some folding plastic crates. The dimensions also worked out to allow a plastic crate to fit below too if required.
Once this was all installed I realised there was a reasonable sized unused space above the fridge, so I decided to fit another drawer here.

Here are some pics of the build:

Checking the fit of stripped drawer from the WK. It just required the back edge trimming back to allow for the seat back angle.
I0000XZtwSDkggR8.jpg

Made a bracket to pickup on the seat mount.
I0000ZU_wtVS_7AQ.jpg

Made up a lightweight frame to pick up on the cargo mounts
I0000lODzEj2Ia5I.jpg

I0000H7zcoKqtn58.jpg

I0000cBH1Jk7hpTM.jpg

I0000maAf2fRKDP4.jpg

The fame on the RH side extends forward to support the fridge slide mount (salvaged from the WK)
I0000xrLaMU1Wxkw.jpg

I0000yoPc_Jvgw9M.jpg

Starting to take shape
I0000hGjxC5wuUSk.jpg

Building the new shelf - 9mm ply with weight saving cutouts
I000092zGx5yfyzk.jpg

Building up the drawer above the fridge.
I0000ByGw4Tl7frw.jpg

I0000ydQgG5gZoxE.jpg

More fitting and fettling.
I0000mVLbzEGaWcM.jpg

Shelf support
I0000BSszi4s5gkM.jpg

I made a removable floor to provide another compartment to the side of the drawer
I0000jQG9Ro3Jqtc.jpg

All re-carpeted and packed in!
I0000cZ8Mby3RbAE.jpg

I0000hkzpFIceXb0.jpg

Out on test.
I0000gVjYnquqViQ.jpg

I00008x9HtVSK0io.jpg

More later...

Last edited:

crossed-up

Observer
Thanks Morgan. The fridge is currently spliced into the rear power outlet. But I will probably run a stouter wire direct from the battery through a fuse and switch to avoid a voltage drop over the length of the factory loom.

G0to60

Observer
This is great! I'll need to share this with a friend of mine who is building up his Renegade. I don't think he had anything like this in mind but it may get his imagination going. Nice work.

Whaler

Adventurer
Really slick work! The mounting frame is ingenious. I'd love to see a close-up photo of the flip-out work surface over the stove. I'll be curious if it impedes access to the fridge and if that ends up being a nuisance over time. Really well done, cheers.

crossed-up

Observer
Thanks Whaler. The details of the work surface were on my WK build thread. The configuration word fine on the WK but on the BU I compromised it slightly by having the drawer above the fridge, but this just pulls out if I want to set up for access to the cooker fridge when set up for a cook out. I decided a deeper drawer was more useful than better access.

Planning out the table. Size was constrained mostly by the width of the drawer.
I0000GUuoUYYXxCc.jpg

Glueing up the basic tray - 5mm ply with 12mm ply surround for stiffness.
I0000EOxMJuz_RwY.jpg

Chopping out the hinge rebate.
I0000j50HYnyNxN4.jpg

I0000u44rbmBGazY.jpg

Bending up a support.
I0000Quzc4F7YO0M.jpg

Support holds the table flat to give a useful table when not using the stove.
I0000TQCJdx2yaRY.jpg

I decided on top-mounted an aluminium support that locks into a bracket.
I0000LSojGinLJ8Q.jpg

I forgot to allow clearance for the stove when making the central hinge support so had to cut this down in situ and tidy it up as best i could :oops:
I0000mJ2FifPEdwo.jpg

I0000gtIzZCmlCsI.jpg

Then end result seems rigid enough but I may make up an aluminium brace across the from face of the stove to tie the front end of the drawer sides together. I also need to remake the support bracket with an extra tab to hold the support when it is folded in transit.
I0000ua_FFradhOc.jpg

crossed-up

Observer
Another quick update. My new tyres arrived last week so the Renegade is now sitting on Yokohama Geolander AT G015's, in the original factory size of 215/60 17. These have proved to be far more robust than the puncture-prone OEM Good Year 4Seasons on my brothers Trailhawk.

I0000UQFFpblOAic.jpg

I0000JWLFk3Os4EU.jpg

crossed-up

Observer
Is accessing the spare tire an ordeal?

Its actually not too bad given the general inconvenience that goes with changing a flat anyway. You basically slide the main drawer out and undo four M6 bolts and a couple of screws to get the draw box out - I might change these to thumbwheels. As you know, on the WK you don't have the issue of disturbing all the gear and luggage, but you have to grovel about underneath (inevitably in the wet and mud) instead. So I'm not too bothered about the compromise for something that should hopefully be a rare occurrence, especially now that I've ditched the Good Years.

crossed-up

Observer
It’s about 4 weeks until my trip to the Alps, which actually means two fee weekends (plus any time I get in the evenings) to get the last few jobs finished off, as I’m busy with an event for one of them, and have other non-Jeep related prep to do also.

Now that the tyres are sorted the only two jobs I really wanted to button up was fitting the CB and running a better supply to the fridge. First I tackled the aerial mount and decided to mount it on the roof rail similarly to how it was on the WK. This involved removing the rail (only 4 allen bolts) and fitting some outserts to mount a bracket a nice stout bracket. I made this from 6mm aluminium from an old sump guard, cut and bent to shape.

After mounting it I ran the coax down the tailgate seal and into the rear light cavity, then from here behind the luggage compartment trim panel, don the sill and across to the trans tunnel under the front passenger seat (there’s a nice joint in the carpet here to tuck it under. I considered locating the CB in the cubby box like I did on the WK, but decided that it would be better on the side of the console, which is conveniently where the coax can emerge.

I0000XJcwhdGeiyo.jpg

A bit of heat helped to prevent the cracking whilst bending.
I0000B2ISRxwEwKA.jpg

I00008k6srrsbIyE.jpg

I0000.a2sBtf0Jo4.jpg

Finished bracket with aerial base fitted.
I0000li8uZ93R9no.jpg

Roof rail removed for drilling.
I0000_coHH3Hej3A.jpg

Inserts fitted and spacer fitted to provide clearance for the ribs on the underside of the rail.
I0000M7QzgwURSLg.jpg

Bracket screwed in place.
I0000LHmXmJyBgy0.jpg

Rail back in place.
I00005s2M7aFfAVA.jpg

Routing the coax through the real light avoided having to drill the bodywork.
I0000nOfim_cd4Y8.jpg

crossed-up

Observer
I decided to run a new supply in directly from the battery for the CB and the fridge. After a lot of poking around and trim removal a figured a way to get a new cable from the battery through the bulkhead using the large factory loom gland. There is actually a good bit of space behind the console trim, so I ran the supply to here and made up a bracket to mount a small 4 way fuse block. From here its a short run to the CB, which I still need to make a bracket, and a can follow the route of the coax to take the supply to the fridge.

Panel removed to access loom gland. I had to use a bit of welding wire to pull the new cable through.
I00000CQ5ZZ.TcVs.jpg

Used one of the plastic rivet holes to run the new supply through.
I0000JsgloiWofLQ.jpg

Cover panel back in place and new supply run directly to positive battery terminal.
I0000j48agWoG034.jpg

New supply follows factory loom to location behind console footwell panel (the glovebox assembly had to come out for this.)
I0000wgqN6uxcORo.jpg

Used a bit of scrap ali. to make a bracket to mount the fuse box.
I0000Fm72nv6YfW8.jpg

I0000aspiVYsqDDQ.jpg

Bracket mounts to a convenient factory bolt.
I0000HbW_4SGj5yI.jpg

I just need to fab up the CB mount which can pick up on another factory bolt lower down, then finish of the wiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94