Marn's 2019 JLU - Boring Build

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Well, folks. It was bound to happen. After 9 years and 30,000 miles with the 1973 Wagoneer, my wife and I have upgraded. There were a lot of reasons for this, of which the largest was that it was time for my wife to get a new more Reno appropriate daily driver. That coupled with the fact that the wagoneer had essentially become the limiting factor in our outdoor exploration lifestyle (comfort, range, reliability, capability), we decided to get something that could combine those two roles and better serve us. We had very basic requirements: 4 doors, modern, 4x4, nice enough for a daily driver for my wife. We looked at a 4runner and she did not like it at all, the next day we came home with a 2019 JLU Rubicon. 3.6l, Billet Silver. Outfitted precisely the way I wanted. All the good stuff, none of the extra frills.

So, the plans are pretty dang simple. This one will stay "mostly" stock until she is done driving it (realistically 3 or so years) or until the AT's wear out, which is realistically 5 years. At that point, it should be "my" daily driver, she will get something else, and the build may go a little further. The reason behind buying a Rubicon is that I will not HAVE TO do anything major to it for it to be suitable for our needs. It's got a set of great 33's on it, some basic skid plates, lockers, sway bar disconnect, decent recovery points, and clearance for even larger tires while still remaining stock height. If we had bought a 4Runner, I would have had to throw about $3000 at it before winter to ditch the trash tires it came with and give it a little lift to fit something larger, but still not as large as this.

What you will see here will be a log of the minor mods I do on this, mostly for personal reference and for questions I need to ask, etc. This will consist mostly of convenience/safety type outfitting for camping and longer exploring trips. Aside from that, it will probably get bumpers, likely a winch, and likely some more substantial armor. Small changes to a mostly stock platform. I will also use this as a place to post pictures of our trips and adventures as I have done in the past with the Wagoneer.

FWIW, I still have the Wagoneer and there are no immediate plans to get rid of it. There's nothing seriously wrong with it. I still intend to clean up the interior which was my next step in the process. However, it will likely see much much much less camping/road trip time, and less driving in general as now my personal daily driver is a 1974 Ford F250. Folks have been giving me crap about moving to a modern platform, but in colsolidating our vehicles, we are actually even more of a vintage car family now. We still have the 1969 Nova, the 1973 Wagoneer, and the 1974 Ford, and a 1979 Yamaha dirtbike. So, we're still living the vintage life! We got rid of the 2011 Challenger and 2004 Dakota that I had been driving

With that, Here's the new thing.

rubi2.jpg

rubi3.jpg

His and Hers:

his.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
So, we got the new jeep, wheeled a little on our way home, and then the wife started driving it to work. One week later, we packed our crap, hooked up the trailer, and headed off to the northern end of the Sierras.

We went out into Plumas National Forest, and found a spot to camp off grid. The jeep towed wonderfully and I hardly even noticed the little trailer. Everything handled well down the roads we took to get to the camping spot.
rubi4.jpg

The next morning we decided to cut the camping short a night for a number of reasons, so we packed up and headed out. We did a number of trails, up to Sierra Buttes lookout (highest fire outlook in the Sierras), and up to Deer Lake, Nothing crazy, but enough to get a feel for the jeep. I have done these trails in my wagoneer and my god what a difference. This thing feel like cheating by comparison. not getting tossed around, wheeling with the windows up, AC on, satellite radio, sway bar disconnected and lockers in for a few parts there wasn't so much as a slipping tire. In the wagoneer there were spots where I had a tire off the ground or would be kind of skidding down a sandy hill, etc. This thing just climbs like a mountain goat!

So, nothing exciting to report here, just a nice short trip to get the jeep out, start stretching its legs, and get some dirt on the tires. The trails were mostly just steep aqnd somewhat rocky, but not too narrow or anything.

camp2.jpg
camp3.jpg
camp4.jpg
camp5.jpg

So, maiden voyage was a success and it really showed me what I have been missing driving an old rig. I think we're really going to enjoy going further and longer with this JL, and getting to see more of the country around us.

Zeep

Adventurer
Good luck with the new ride. I'm sure your going to love it.
I've been modding my '05 LJR for 12 years, and I'm still not quite done.
Happy trails!

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
So the only stuff that has been done so far is basic outfitting. I got a better pouch for my first aid kit that breaks away from the MOLLE panel, and I mounted it to the factory rear panel. I don’t really plan to put anything else on that panel and definitely not anything heavy, but this worked out pretty ideally.

Also added a mount for a standard ABC fire extinguisher to the rear. This is more for fires not related to my Jeep, hence the rear mounting location, and the dry chemical extinguisher. This is more for any fires that may start whole camping or shooting or anything I happen upon. I fully understand the issues with a dry chemical extinguisher for use on or in vehicle with modern electronics and whatnot. The plan is to get a Halotron extinguisher to keep up front. Near the drivers seat. I also keep a much larger ABC unit in my trailer, so there’s that as well.

Also I keep an air compressor and tire patch kit in the back, but these are presently just floating around which I don’t care for.

F8AC8E1B-8F6F-4236-9FE9-018E10993190.jpeg

I have also been looking for a good solution for keeping a large flashlight in the jeep. I have a good streamlight but im hesitant to leave it in the jeep and I haven’t found a good pouch or location to keep it. So in lieu of that I’m trying to work with this older Chinese LED torch that I have had for years and have taken on a ton of trip. It’s in a MOLLE unit made for bigger lights. I need to tweak it a bit.

48250EA4-EE62-41DD-82D8-AD99F3B97A64.jpeg

Super exciting right? Wait until you all get to see when I order floor mats! That’ll really wow you!!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to nirvana. I had a 2008 4dr Rubi. Had to get a lift to run 35s. After 10 years and. 175k. Sold it and bought a 2018 jlu Rubi White premium soft top. Tan leather heated seat tow pack steel bumper and 8.4 Uconnect. Absolutely love it.
After spending a lot of timeyears the 08 was ready. But with the 2018 jlu I sold the stock tires. Swapped in 35s well 315 70 17. So really like 34.6 no lift. Added a snorkel a 10k super winch exp And some mild off road lights all done! Next an rtt or something Very simple not expensive. And bone stock reliability with jku modded capability And heated. Seats. ?

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Well, as mentioned my wife is daily driving it. So, aside from already having asked for "stronger bumpers that are made out of metal" she has now asked for some form of step to help get out, without having to slide across the seat and up over the edge/lip of the seat. She made it clear she didn't need a step that hangs down or anything, and something that is higher up would actually be better as she just needs something to be able to stand on as shes standing up out of the seat.

Soooooo, I've officially started shopping for sliders that will work as a step, but not be ugly goofy looking nerf bar types.

try the roam steps they seem pretty beefy definitely not nerf style. Maybe not the best picture bu here is my 18 jlur sportin' roam side steps, super winch 10 exp. synthetic line, inspired engineering lights Mopar snorkel and wind deflector (on my 3rd windsheild). 315 75 17 with no lifts comapred to my 08 same size but needed 4 inch to fit those tires. . and the one that started it all 1977 cj 7 golden eagle >

Attachments

• BXZH1255.JPG
    BXZH1255.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_7783new .jpg
    IMG_7783new .jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4256.jpg
    IMG_4256.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 106
  • jeep golden eagle5 2.jpg
    jeep golden eagle5 2.jpg
    613.5 KB · Views: 93

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
try the roam steps they seem pretty beefy definitely not nerf style. Maybe not the best picture bu here is my 18 jlur sportin' roam side steps, super winch 10 exp. synthetic line, inspired engineering lights Mopar snorkel and wind deflector (on my 3rd windsheild). 315 75 17 with no lifts comapred to my 08 same size but needed 4 inch to fit those tires. . and the one that started it all 1977 cj 7 golden eagle >

I showed her the LOD, ROAM, some Rugged Ridge, the typical Smittybilt tube style, etc. She liked these Rugged Ridge, and I like how they cover the crappy pinch weld, provide a step, AND provide some body coverage.
rugged.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

G0to60

Observer
I just helped my Brother in Law install the Rugged Ridge sliders on his JKU (I assume they are similar to the JLU version). A couple of thoughts on them.

- They are heavy. The shipping weight was ~120lb so about 60lb per side.

- They are a good design but the fabrication of them is meh. The only real problem we had with them is that most of the studs that attach to the pinch seam were welded at the wrong angle. We had to bend the studs in order to line up correctly. Usually this isn't a big deal but these are heavy and bulky so checking and rechecking was a chore.

- The step is pretty nice. You can't quite fit a full foot width on them but there's enough to stand on.

- They also attach to the body mounts so they are pretty strong.

Overall I think they are a good upgrade if you are fine with the added weight.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I just helped my Brother in Law install the Rugged Ridge sliders on his JKU (I assume they are similar to the JLU version). A couple of thoughts on them.

- They are heavy. The shipping weight was ~120lb so about 60lb per side.

- They are a good design but the fabrication of them is meh. The only real problem we had with them is that most of the studs that attach to the pinch seam were welded at the wrong angle. We had to bend the studs in order to line up correctly. Usually this isn't a big deal but these are heavy and bulky so checking and rechecking was a chore.

- The step is pretty nice. You can't quite fit a full foot width on them but there's enough to stand on.

- They also attach to the body mounts so they are pretty strong.

Overall I think they are a good upgrade if you are fine with the added weight.

Thanks for the review! Thats all good to know.

On Friday, she ripped her skirt getting into the jeep and nearly lost a shoe, haha. After searching and looking at more options, I've got her pretty well sold on the ROAM rock sliders. Frame mounted, a lower step without actually making anything hang down lower, and a nice clean design. I will likely order today.
roam.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online