Solar panel roof adhension

blackohio

Observer
I have some flexable solar panels I want to adheres to the roof of my alu-cab without drilling and securing down. Anyone have suggestions? I ended up buying a roll of EPDM Quick Roof Seam Tape but wanted to seem if anyone had other recommendations. Royal Adhesives makes Heliobond PVA-600BT which comes recommended by a few high end solar companies but the stuff is expensive for what i'll use. I'd like to not use something like white eternabond around the edges

removing the big rigid panel and using 2 100wt flexy panels

IMG_9799.jpg

john61ct

Adventurer
3M VHB

follow surface prep meticulously

You are aware heat gain will be enormous? Lowers panel output & shortens lifespan, besides the other consequences.

dreadlocks

no air circulation, the hotter tha panel gets the less it will output.. panels output is rated for like ~70F, those fixed to that roof flat in the southern US will be more like 150F+.. that'll be about ~25%+ reduction in output alone.. plus the plastic is going to degrade rapidly and since there is no air gap that heat is going to transfer into your cab instead of shading it.

also keep in mind flexible panels dont last, whatever you glue em down with your gonna have to peel off in 5-6 years when those panels stop being worth a damn.

john61ct

Adventurer
Heat output from PV is enormous, which is why they should be mounted on a sheet of heat sink material like aluminium, with a gap for airflow between that and the surface the brackets are mounted to below.

By the time you're done, cheaper to just buy rigid panels, especially given the fact they will last 10-20 times longer.

blackohio

Observer
no air circulation, the hotter tha panel gets the less it will output.. panels output is rated for like ~70F, those fixed to that roof flat in the southern US will be more like 150F+.. that'll be about ~25%+ reduction in output alone.. plus the plastic is going to degrade rapidly and since there is no air gap that heat is going to transfer into your cab instead of shading it.

also keep in mind flexible panels dont last, whatever you glue em down with your gonna have to peel off in 5-6 years when those panels stop being worth a damn.

i can live with that i think. Red Arc DC-DC Battery Manager30 is running the show so it'll at least also charge while driving.

Also theres a 0% chance i'll have this truck in 3 years let alone 5.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
What monitor/controller are you using? Redarc? Just curious about the info you showed, I have a Victron in my current setup and it provides some of that info but not as much.

blackohio

Observer
What monitor/controller are you using? Redarc? Just curious about the info you showed, I have a Victron in my current setup and it provides some of that info but not as much.

So I have a redarc manager30 on order but it hasnt landed in te states yet. Thats just a renogy 30a rover with the BT module and app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz