12 Volt supply or charger for truckcamper

Cruiser79

Observer
In my shadowcruiser there is an old converter installed where you can switch between battery and 230-12V converter. I don't really trust the thing because it's making strange noise and it is heating up. Besides that it doesn't charge the batteries, so it only works when you're at shore power, and it doesn't maintain the batteries.
So I want to replace it for a proper charger to keep the batteries at full power, and that works as a supply/converter for when there is shore power. When we go off grid for a couple of days we can at least start with full batteries. When driving the alternator is charging the batteries as well, but sometimes we stay at a campsite for a few days or a week. Than it would be nice when you don't have to run your engine every day to keep your batteries full. When going off grid we mostly drive every day, so the alternator will keep the batteries in shape.

Now I need some advice for the right charger. I was thinking of a CTEK MXS 25000.

https://www.ctek.com/products/on-board/xs-25000

It says it can work as a supply, and has some nice features the documents says...
There are 2 90 Ah batteries installed, parallel. Is the CTEK a good choice, is it overkill, or do I need a simple charger for my needs?

In the truckcamper there are only a compressor fridge, diesel heater, few LED lights and a small 350 W inverter for my laptop.
Thanks!

dreadlocks

I'd personally go with a ProNautic-P/Sterling Pro Ultra 20A

Its customizable to any set points you need so it'll handle whatever batteries you decide to go with in the future and its pretty durable/rugged and works off worldwide voltage/frequencies.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Victron - One of the few chargers rated as a power supply by the manufacturer. I use a 7amp model for shore power and to keep my 170ah batteries fully charged.

dreadlocks

For decent charge rate you want at least 10A for each 100AH, more so if you want a decent charge rate and to run DC appliances at same time you are charging the battery or are using a genset for charging.

Cruiser79

Observer
Thanks for the replies. I’m not sure or I will go for the ctek. And I will need a European brand for warranty and service, and because of the 230v power over here.
Tomorrow I’m near a Victron dealer. Think I ask those guys what to do. Buying a 300 euro charger that is way overkill isn’t that clever..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94