Gas pedal hard to push

I have a 1990 suburban 350 tbi 4x4 and the gas pedal is very hard to push. Moved easily at the throttle body even with the tv/kick down cable attached so i bought and replaced the throttle cable and was surprised to find that the cable i was replacing exits the fire wall does a short loop then attaches to the tbi. This seems like it would cause friction but its the way that the origional was and i could not make mine fit any other way because it was too long. So i installed if the same and have the same issue. I still think the issue is the fairly tight maybe 6-7in loop in the throttle cable. So i am considering a universal throttle cable . Has anybody used one that the had good luck and quality with? Also with the location of the throttle body to the firewall throttle cable hole i only have 2 options install a shorter cable that comes out and does an s curve or install a longer cable that does a larger more gradual loop. Not quite shure how i would route that i guess around the throttle body and then connect. Any advice appreciated. Also tv cable looks like new and trans was replaced shortly before i bought the truck so i dont think thats it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

vargsmetal

Sure sounds like you've got the wrong cable. I had an 87 V20 with the 350TBI and the cable was just the right length, no sharp turns. Same for my 88-94 trucks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

You might check the routing of both cables if someone was just into the truck.

Dad's '92 GMC pedal has always been a little stiffer than I care for since he got it in '94 though.

Sure sounds like you've got the wrong cable. I had an 87 V20 with the 350TBI and the cable was just the right length, no sharp turns. Same for my 88-94 trucks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Definently the correct cable as far as i can see checked the part number and the one i put in was the same as the one i just took out. The location of the firewall hole and the throttle body is in a way that it would either have to be just the correct legnth and make and fairly tight s curve or be longer and make a loop before connecting. The cable i have and the one i replaced both had about a 6in diameter loop. Trying to decide if i buy a universal one should i go long for a more gradual loop or correct size with an s curve.

Dad's '92 GMC pedal has always been a little stiffer than I care for since he got it in '94 though.
Even with the tv cable diaconnected it is hard to push the pedal.

Also i know thease trucks are typically a stiffer pedal then modern but this is to the point that your leg gets tired.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'd pull the cable out and lubricate it thoroughly as well as every moving part / pivot in the whole setup and try it again. IIRC the throttle cable in my '85 C-10 has a similar loop. No idea why.
Also look for wear-through on the linkages where the springs attach. The spring hooks might have worn grooves which are now pinching / binding. Lube those up too.
Maybe even use a slightly bigger needle file to open up (but not deepen!) those worn grooves, to eliminate any binding.

I'd pull the cable out and lubricate it thoroughly as well as every moving part / pivot in the whole setup and try it again. IIRC the throttle cable in my '85 C-10 has a similar loop. No idea why.
Also look for wear-through on the linkages where the springs attach. The spring hooks might have worn grooves which are now pinching / binding. Lube those up too.
Maybe even use a slightly bigger needle file to open up (but not deepen!) those worn grooves, to eliminate any binding.
Going to pull it lube it and recheck thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz