3rd gen pickup ifs suspension performance

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
What are you running for an idler arm? Is it the TC Caddy, and if so, would you recommend it? I'm also running 35s on my blazeland equipped 1991 Extended Cab
Total Chaos arm all the way. Expensive but worth it. I ran a braced, stock Idler for years when I was on 33x10.50s. The brace kept me from breaking them, but they got sloppy and I got about a year out of them even with the aftermarket bronze bushings. The Total Chaos Idler is some serious beef, with real bearings. Consider it armor for the weakest part of your steering. I’ve got four years on mine now and I feel like it is the first investment you should make if you are going to tackle more difficult trails with this front end.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
I’m going to update this by saying that I took my IFS pickup over the Rubicon trail! And it was awesome! The truck did really well. Obviously; I didn’t take the “hard” obstacles, but I got through the whole trail and camped where everyone else with seriously built trucks camped. I’ll call that a success in a low dollar built IFS trail rig. AND I DIDN’T BREAK ANYTHING!
The Rubicon wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, but it is no joke. I truly covered about a mile an hour in my truck and I’m glad I had lower gearing in my transfer case and Axles, as well as two lockers and all the armor you can put on these trucks. The armor took a beating! Before I left for the trip I did make sure (and you should to if you are planning on running it) that everything was in tip top condition. Fortunately I try to take good care of my truck and the only thing I had to do before leaving for the trip was replace the bearings on my Total Chaos idler arm. No big deal since it has been on the truck for 4 years now and it only cost like $50 in parts and 30 minutes of time to rebuild. Still the best part I have bought for my front suspension! The Blazeland long travel kit was pretty awesome though. It worked very well for a budget longtravel kit!
Back to the real intension of this thread. These IFS trucks are capable if you drive smart and know their limitations. I drove my truck 1,300 miles on the way to the Rubicon from Colorado; did the Rubicon Trail, and drove another 1,000 miles home. I feel like I have built my truck with durability in mind (for an ifs truck) while pushing the limits of what most people say will break stuff (a front locker and 35 inch tires). While driving careful the truck worked phenomenal on the trail. I followed a solid axle swapped Tacoma on 37’s over the entire trail and went almost everywhere he did. It was a little more effort at times because I didn’t have the clearance he did and I babied my truck a bit more at times because I didn’t want to break stuff, but in the end it was a successful bucket list trail that I have been wanting to do for 20 plus years!
Here’s some pics:
E2D0E6A4-D63E-4AEF-B67A-1614D3DAA131.jpeg
1906EEBE-B768-48B5-A93A-E3E56CB55E7A.jpeg
D0BDFCF1-1813-4662-BAA6-B1AC4131DFB2.jpeg
0A2560A4-9FA8-4AC7-8C97-D6057086DC85.jpeg
C261BCA7-BB31-41E8-9F6C-EA3926E1A2CF.jpeg

mattafact

Adventurer
For anyone reading this, make sure you book time to wheel with xlcaferacer sometime. He's a hell of a wheeler and a hell of a trail guide.

Build is looking great! How did I miss this all these years?

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
For anyone reading this, make sure you book time to wheel with xlcaferacer sometime. He's a hell of a wheeler and a hell of a trail guide.

Build is looking great! How did I miss this all these years?
Thanks Matt, I appreciate that. Wish I was half as good as you make me sound. ? You did just give my thread some trail cred though. On that note..... these trucks do work! Take my word for it. ?
On the other hand, I did do this to my truck today on the Chinaman Gulch trail in Colorado. Stuck between a rock and a hard place (tree):
8AC08D62-04EB-4BEF-A695-E72C8FE601A9.jpeg

Last edited:

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Hey yeah, IFS mini trucks can do the Rubicon! Dual cases or at least 4.7 t-case gears are mandatory and there are a few pieces of critical armor.
Agree with all of the above Dave. I would also like to add air conditioning to the list of mandatory gear. The drive across Nevada in August without it was harder than running the Rubicon ?.
However, the Blazeland long travel front suspension did make it way less stressful than when DaveInDenver ran it with his Old Man Emu front suspension. With the extra suspension travel I felt way less tippy and had a lot more confidence on many of the obstacles. The Rubicon is totally doable with either setup with proper gearing and lockers but the Blazeland long travel made it much more enjoyable.
I talked to Dave at Cruise Moab this year about when he ran the Rubicon and it gave me the confidence to make the trip happen. Now build your truck and make it happen, even if it takes years to do so. “Bucket list!”

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Observer
Man what a great post I’ve bounced back-and-forth on vehicles over the years but I’ve always wanted to get back into a second GEN four runner one of the best vehicles I’ve ever owned . So my plan is to sell My car and my crawler project and have no vehicle debt anymore , that’s my hopeful goal in the next couple of months. Your build is essentially exactly what I was planning on doing so it’s so great to see someone has done these mods and have a fantastic luck with it.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Man what a great post I’ve bounced back-and-forth on vehicles over the years but I’ve always wanted to get back into a second GEN four runner one of the best vehicles I’ve ever owned . So my plan is to sell My car and my crawler project and have no vehicle debt anymore , that’s my hopeful goal in the next couple of months. Your build is essentially exactly what I was planning on doing so it’s so great to see someone has done these mods and have a fantastic luck with it.
Do it Smileyshaun! I love my underpowered yet reliable truck. It’s definately a truck of compromises but it works. I’ve taken it a lot of places I didn’t think it would go, camped where there is nobody around, and enjoyed the challenge of getting there. I can afford a truck payment but I don’t want one because I’d rather spend money on gas to take me to new places. I wish I had more power and creature comforts, but in the end I really don’t care that I don’t have those things. I have a truck that gets me to work everyday, can run trails rated 7 out of 10 without too much worry, get me to Backcountry campsites where most others can’t get to, and get me back home safely. My truck is a cheap “Overlander” that can go where most “Overlanders” can’t. Enjoy building and playing with whatever you decide is right.

bimmeryota

Observer
Great write up. I’ve got a t100 with a four wheel camper and the suspension is identical, just wider. I did 1” bjs and didn’t drop the diff and now modding the wheel wells for 33’s so I can keep my COG low for hitting trails with my camper on. Looking at sway a ways but like the flex I get with my stock t bars.
Love your rig btw, I also have a 91 extra cab that I plan on restoring some day.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Great write up. I’ve got a t100 with a four wheel camper and the suspension is identical, just wider. I did 1” bjs and didn’t drop the diff and now modding the wheel wells for 33’s so I can keep my COG low for hitting trails with my camper on. Looking at sway a ways but like the flex I get with my stock t bars.
Love your rig btw, I also have a 91 extra cab that I plan on restoring some day.
T100’s are cool trucks. Just big enough to haul some stuff but still small enough to take on the trail. I like the way my truck rides with Old Man Emu t-bars. Not as stiff as the sway a ways.

bimmeryota

Observer
T100’s are cool trucks. Just big enough to haul some stuff but still small enough to take on the trail. I like the way my truck rides with Old Man Emu t-bars. Not as stiff as the sway a ways.

I’ve currently got Downey t bars on my 91 and they are way too stiff for off road but great on the street. I’m going to get OME at some point. The only ones I can get for my T are the SAW bars. I think this is because they are already as thick as the OMEs. I can use the downeys if I ever need them but I think I will be way overweight by the time I need those. As you know it’s a bit of a balancing act keeping weight down with a camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles