Anybody else want a small USEABLE 4X4?

6gun

Quite frankly, in a capability versus cost comparison to other choices the Iltis really falls short. These two are incredibly over-priced and outside of Canada have very little interest/value. I don't see them being worth the headache of trying to keep them running without an easily accessible parts stream.

I think some have failed to see what I'm getting at, and maybe I'm just being too picky. "Mid-sized" trucks these days are HUGE compared to the older models, I don't need/want(or want to pay for) an extended cab. I have lots of old "restored" junk trust me, I've owned few vehicles newer than 20yo in my life. What I would like to have is a simple, no-frills work truck. A street-legal Roxor with a half cab would work, but the two door Gladiator in base trim would be better. I will wind up either buying a new F series if I can find a base model XL or maybe just hit the work truck re-sellers and find as new model Ranger XL as I can without going to the new body style problem is it's hard to find a 4X4 Ranger in base trim on the used market. While the VW thingie and the Halz thingie are absolutely cool and I'd love to have them, they are MILES away from the original topic.

6gun

One the NxS range would do the trick: 4 cylinder diesel, 5 SPD gearbox and 4x4, vinyl floors as well.

4500kg to 7500kg max weight, can tow 3500kg

I could live with that! I've threatened several times to go look at the small cabover Isuzu throw a small flatbed on it and it would be perfect for what I need! A little big perhaps but no worse than going to an F250 imho.

6gun

I don't think you know what you want if you're jumping between the size of a Roxor, Gladiator, Ranger, that Isuzu, and an F-250. ?‍♀️

I want a simple, small efficient 4X4, no frills. Everything is some sort of compromise. If I buy a "compact" truck I get neither compact nor no frills. If I buy an F250(much easier to find a no frills truck) I lose compactness and efficiency suffers, but I get no-frills. The isuzu offers efficiency and no-frills but no 4X4 without a major price penalty as well as making parts harder to come by. F250 and Isuzu offer me the bonus of being capable towing, relieving my old Bronco of that burden. See I'm under no delusion I'm going to compromise something. A stripped down F150 would check more of my boxes but they are impossible to find in my area every time I look. It's all speculation for now I won't be buying for another year or so.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
No, I got exactly what you were saying. Safety regulations killed the small pickups. Changes in the market played a role too. The consumer wanted more interior space and with that comes a larger truck. The days of the Hi-lux sized pickup here in the states are over. Like I said, hope that Jeep builds a two door pickup because that is as small as it is ever going to get.

I think some have failed to see what I'm getting at, and maybe I'm just being too picky. "Mid-sized" trucks these days are HUGE compared to the older models, I don't need/want(or want to pay for) an extended cab. I have lots of old "restored" junk trust me, I've owned few vehicles newer than 20yo in my life. What I would like to have is a simple, no-frills work truck. A street-legal Roxor with a half cab would work, but the two door Gladiator in base trim would be better. I will wind up either buying a new F series if I can find a base model XL or maybe just hit the work truck re-sellers and find as new model Ranger XL as I can without going to the new body style problem is it's hard to find a 4X4 Ranger in base trim on the used market. While the VW thingie and the Halz thingie are absolutely cool and I'd love to have them, they are MILES away from the original topic.

D

Deleted member 9101

Just order a new F150 XL. You can get them with manual windows, vinyl floor, and no fancy electronics..... But still have the option for a powerful engine, 10 speed transmission, 4x4, and a heavy duty towing/payload package...all while getting 20 mpg and a plethora of accessories available.

Personally I'm a fan of the STX package.

beef tits

If resale isn't a primary concern, I'd be looking at a gasser ZR2. It won't handle a grenade blast but they do seem very capable. The new F150s are nice but they aren't exactly small. The "new" Rangers are boring and not very capable. New Toyotas are just overpriced and too common.

The 2000-2004 Tacomas are pretty bulletproof and also check most of your boxes. My Dad's 4Runner from that era has 400k miles on it, original motor, transmission and diffs. I don't think he has ever even replaced a wheel bearing. Wear items like tie rods, water hoses, etc? Sure once in a while... but I still see these out there for sale with less than 100k miles, clean and stock. They sell for a pretty penny, but still a fraction of what you'll pay for anything new.

Unfortunately trucks have become glorifed SUVs marketted to suburban soccer moms. Who in the ******** buys sells something with a 4-5' bed and calls it a truck? Useless!

Last edited:

6gun

True.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that it doesn't appear that you've picked your balance of features yet.

Fair enough but I will still lament the fact that nothing like my original statement exists in the market! Why if someone dedicated millions of R&D to this project they'd probably sell dozens of units worldwide to people like me! :LOL:

D

Deleted member 9101

Unfortunately trucks have become glorifed SUVs marketted to suburban soccer moms. Who in the **** buys sells something with a 4-5' bed and calls it a truck? Useless!
Glad you didn't insult 5.5' bed owners...I get plenty of use out of my glorified soccer mom "truck."

20190330_110807~2.jpg

dreadlocks

Buy old, restore to new, upgrade along the way.. or find someone who already did all that work and pay a premium.

Regarding Itilis being expensive, remember those prices listed are in CAD not USD.. $6500 CAD is < $5k USD.. and compared to like ANY old AWD VW they are cheap as ********.. Want a Syncro bus from same vintage? $40k+ Synco Golf? $20k+.. Heck even an original Audi Quattro demands a premium on collectors market.. I pretty much expect that once my plans have come to fruition, the vehicle will just keep appreciating in price.. I bought my 75 westy for $1500, and as it sits today its worth >$10k.. when I'm done restoring it and putting a TDI engine into it, it'll be >$40k

I was just tossing it out there, because its about the smallest/lightest/cheapest 4x4 I've ran across thats street legal and not a Suzuki.. its def not for everyone, but it is for me..

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler

905BE3CB-F627-4E62-8D4E-3692848B7DA0.jpeg

Here’s what I really miss...my favorite truck and one I wish I’d never sold....mine was a hot red colored, small, skinny, fun to drive, agile, 4 cyl, manual tranny gas sipping 4wd that took me everywhere. You’re right...These new “mid sized” trucks are too darn big.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
It's not the mid-size truck thats "Too Damn Big"!

It's the "Full Size American" thats "Too Damn Big".

Hence the larger "Mid-Size" trucks for the No Longer "Mid-Size" Americans!

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I get it but these size pickups would never pass current safety regulations and that is why they're gone from these shores.

View attachment 540317

Here’s what I really miss...my favorite truck and one I wish I’d never sold....mine was a hot red colored, small, skinny, fun to drive, agile, 4 cyl, manual tranny gas sipping 4wd that took me everywhere. You’re right...These new “mid sized” trucks are too darn big.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles