Max Coupler

mobydick 11

Hi I have just finished the install of my new max Coupler . I would like to provide some experience gained from this . This thread is not intended to bash CU or max . So I ordered Part # 210 . It is a bolt on to a 2 inch tubing style . I have a new aluminum 4 x 8 trailer it has 2 x 4 box tube frame . For some reason on the instruction sheet they had used a black marker to block out were it tells you to bolt it on . only welding is recommended . I can understand this and if I had a steel trailer I would probably do both bolt and weld . so I used a couple of small pieces of 1/2 inch ID pipe on the inside of bolts so the frame could not crush . also used a plumbers tape to insulate the steel form touching the aluminum . If you are installing one ,make sure you have on hand a 1 1/2 and a 1 7/16 socket or wrenches . when you have the inner nut set right slide it in to your hitch ,but do not turn the bolt just turn the bottom lock nut . if you turn the bolt it screws up the tension nut . The hitch came within a week and is a very well made product . and I am very happy with how it looks installed . Only time can tell durability. When we are modifying stuff we need to expect little tweaks . thanks

hsestes

Henry S Estes
I am on the fence right now about purchasing one. Would love to hear a report from you after you use it, or from others on here?

mobydick 11

I have done normal towing with it ,and it is fine for that. I will likely never use it to its full capability ,as I do not have a truck that can rock crawl and such. My main purpose of getting it was to allow me to pull a second trailer behind this one . I want to bring my fishing boat along as well. You can't legally pull two ball hitch trailers ,but you can do fifth wheel and then a ball. So I am thinking Max then ball should be legal . Going to find out the hard way. If there is any thing in the design I would watch it is the main through bolt . Most ball mounts are fine thread ( more torque ) ,there bolt is coarse. But they supply a lock nut and thread locking glue . That is why I mentioned about having sockets when doing the install , They require the nut to be tightened to 80 FT/LB . It is very easy to hook up . My view form looking at Max Coupler is you will rip you trailer apart before damaging this hitch

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I have done normal towing with it ,and it is fine for that. I will likely never use it to its full capability ,as I do not have a truck that can rock crawl and such. My main purpose of getting it was to allow me to pull a second trailer behind this one . I want to bring my fishing boat along as well. You can't legally pull two ball hitch trailers ,but you can do fifth wheel and then a ball. So I am thinking Max then ball should be legal . Going to find out the hard way. If there is any thing in the design I would watch it is the main through bolt . Most ball mounts are fine thread ( more torque ) ,there bolt is coarse. But they supply a lock nut and thread locking glue . That is why I mentioned about having sockets when doing the install , They require the nut to be tightened to 80 FT/LB . It is very easy to hook up . My view form looking at Max Coupler is you will rip you trailer apart before damaging this hitch
I suspect you are about to run afoul of the law, and perhaps physics. In my opinion, the allowance for a fifth wheel pulling a ball mount trailer comes more from the following capability and the pivot point of the fifth wheel being over the rear axle. It allows you to turn and back a second trailer if needed. The max coupler puts that pivot out further, like a ball, but perhaps worse, pivots much more freely than a ball would, less resistance, easier pivot, worse trailer motions. Please consider this before you head out on a highway, I might be incorrect, but if I’m right, you’ll be glad you checked into it.

I’ve actually seen little trains of farm trailers on the freeway here. Not sure if they have some sort of farm exemption or they are just violating, but they look sketchy as hell, and based on the motion of the rear trailer, I don’t think you would want to trust your gear to that setup.

Teardropper

I am on the fence right now about purchasing one.

I don't own one but have a friend that has one on his trailer. I've helped him hitch and it was a bit of a pain. With a ball hitch, you can lower the coupler just below the top of the ball and push it onto the ball with your boot. The ball will guide the coupler onto it.

I think the positive side of these is the cool factor. I wonder how many owners actually take their trailers where a ball wouldn't suffice?

6VpEAtX.jpg

T

Alloy

The hitch weight on the back of the 1st trailer increases trailer sway.

5th coupling stops sway in the 1st trailer a ball coupling doesn't.

If you try double towing 2 ball hitch trailers make sure it's on a deserted section of highway so you're the only one that gets hurt.

emulous74

My X-Venture XV-2 trailer came with a Kilby 6k Max Coupler hitch. While most of my travel with the trailer has been on-road and mild off-road, I recently went on a trip to Montana and got stuck in the mud multiple times pulling the trailer when Google Maps took me on a track rather a road to get to my campsite at American Prairie Reserve. In trying to get out of the mud ruts using Maxtrax I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the trailer at an angle that I thought it would turn on it's side. I am amazed that it pulled through and righted itself when I got on hard land. I am certain that if I had the standard ball hitch, I would of been in a much worse situation requiring expensive help to recover my trailer and quite possibly damage to my trailer and the truck that was pulling it. On-road the max coupler hitch also has a much better range of motion and makes tight back-up turning possible where a traditional ball hitch wouldn't do. U-turns are also much easier and possible with the max coupler. I'm all for relatively inexpensive items giving you an edge that you wouldn't have with standard products. That being said, there is much more maintenance involved with a max coupler hitch in that you need to keep it greased properly to keep it functioning properly.

Max-Coupler-6k-lb-trailer-multi-axis-trailer-_57.jpg

Attachments

• 1569599225867.png
    1569599225867.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 50

mobydick 11

I suspect you are about to run afoul of the law, and perhaps physics. In my opinion, the allowance for a fifth wheel pulling a ball mount trailer comes more from the following capability and the pivot point of the fifth wheel being over the rear axle. It allows you to turn and back a second trailer if needed. The max coupler puts that pivot out further, like a ball, but perhaps worse, pivots much more freely than a ball would, less resistance, easier pivot, worse trailer motions. Please consider this before you head out on a highway, I might be incorrect, but if I’m right, you’ll be glad you checked into it.

I’ve actually seen little trains of farm trailers on the freeway here. Not sure if they have some sort of farm exemption or they are just violating, but they look sketchy as hell, and based on the motion of the rear trailer, I don’t think you would want to trust your gear to that setup.
Well it is a bit of an experiment . I understand that proper weight distribution will be important . I know that my 14 foot boat trailer has low tong weight ,I usually load extra gas cans and stuff in the front to balance it better . I thought two balls were not allowed because the first trailer had to be positive locking . My intention would be to slowly take it to different speeds and test the handling . I was a AZM driver so I have lots of tractor trailer experience moving Heavy equipment . look at all the different set ups heavy trucks are using ,although I have to admit the first one is usually a fifth wheel . but that in part is for load distribution and traction .I have been more concerned how it would react under hard breaking to be honest . lastly I am only talking about a combination that would be weighing 1,500 pounds . and the reason farm trailers weave so much is they have a steering front axle .

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Good luck.

I’m not sure what you mean by “Positive Locking”. My heavy truck driving experience is limited to a few miles of learning that I don’t want to do that as a career, but in my job, working around trucks, I’ve seen fifth wheels come disconnected (or not lock properly), and ball hitches do the same.

I suspect that you are right to have braking concerns. You might end up with a double jackknife (Swiss army knife?) under heavy braking if you don’t have a way to brake the rear trailer first.

And just as a note, I have seen farmers pull multiple ball hitched trailers behind one another, usually with orchard ladders on a single axle trailer, not wagons with a front steer axle and a rear fixed axle.

I’ve only owned a Max Coupler for a few hundred trailering miles, I found it interesting to see the trailer rotate around its center axis much more than I expected, even on the freeway. I suspect that is because it doesn’t have the rotational resistance of a ball, but there might be something more to learn about tuning my trailer too.

mobydick 11

well this may not work but some one always has to be the first to try . I will not in danger my self or other people . as far as trucks ,the heaviest loads I have seen moved say 100 ton loads . they loaded concrete blocks on on the truck and used a pintal hitch with multiple jeep or dolly. The farmers in are area never use a ball ,it is a pin hitch and a trailer that steers from the movement of the tongue through tie rods . there is no tongue weight other the the tongue itself . Think about a two or three trailer set up . you have a tractor /truck a fifth wheel, trailer with a pintal hitch then a dolly with fifth wheel another trailer and it repeats . With heavy trucks it is all about axle loading . I have a 3500 pound axle that will probably never see more then a 1000 pounds . The worst case scenario of this is I have extended the main frame tube of my trailer to the back as a recovery point or bike rack ,both I would like and use . As far as fifth wheel locking ,they are considered much safer then a ball .And that's why they do not have safety chains . As I have said something else will break long before the the Max will . As a side note , on the high way to northern Ontario this summer I was past by a set up I had never seen . It was two Sea Do trailers with Sea do on them being towed side by side by one truck with some kind of a Tongue frame set up . It was a factory made rig and had 4 tires across the back .

mobydick 11

Just an update . I have been going over the MTO website reading the rules for towing multiple trailers . And I know that we all live in areas with different rules . So first you are correct , it is illegal to tow more then one trailer with a passenger vehicle . But all pickup trucks are classed as a commercial vehicle . and combinations of trailers are allowed .The only restriction is in total length of 75.5 feet . It does not even say that you can not use two ball hitches . it just read that the hitches need to be properly rated and in good condition with crossed safety chains attached . all the normal rules apply though . the only thing it talks about is if you are swaying excessively you can be pulled over and charged under the Highway traffic act as (unsafe conditions) . The only thing that I have to make sure of is that my truck is licensed for the correct weight ,or MGVWR. But as mentioned if I can not make it handle properly I will not do it . One interesting thing I learned is all the guys that have removed there factory box and installed flat beds or the fancy camper box's are subject to an Annual Inspection and must have the yellow sticker affixed to there windshield . And I believe if you have a Yellow sticker you are required to fill out daily trip inspection reports !

mobydick 11

It is very easy ,you just drop the trailer part into the receiver piece and shove in the pin and keeper . it is sort of guided into place buy a shoulder on the receiver . My trailer is very light so I may be at an advantage to some .I have found lots of times I just pull the main hitch pin and slide the hole thing out . I really like the hitch but I have only used it on the road so far . I have been thinking that I would like to find an older style ball slide in .That way I could drill it out to the exact size as the main bolt provided . On the new ones today the ball has a much bigger bolt then they used too,and the bolt is a little sloppy in the hole before you tighten it . But there has been no problems just me thinking to much .

emulous74

I really haven't had much issues lining up to hook up the trailer, mind you without the reverse camera in my truck, I'd never be able to do it alone. The trick I found is have the trailer lower than the hitch on the truck (rather than perfectly aligned). I've surprised myself how often I've been able to do it on the first try. If I didn't keep a donut underneath the trailer jack's tire, it would be much easier just to get close and move the trailer to the right position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior