Suitable trailer for small travel trailer build

billiebob

Back then, the objective was to sleep & cook as cheap and light as possible. We could do it today but why can't we drive 10-12HP Austins ?

Why doesn't anyone sell this in North America today...

blue9.jpg

Back then, after winning WWII, the UK was barely able to put milk on the table. IF we ever have an economy as bad as the UK thru the 1950s, you'll see a return to real basic transportation and recreation.

What the UK had 70 years ago is just one massive recession away.

Reactions: WVI

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Back then, the objective was to sleep & cook as cheap and light as possible. We could do it today but why can't we drive 10-12HP Austins ?

Why doesn't anyone sell this in North America today...

View attachment 539787

Back then, after winning WWII, the UK was barely able to put milk on the table. IF we ever have an economy as bad as the UK thru the 1950s, you'll see a return to real basic transportation and recreation.

What the UK had 70 years ago is just one massive recession away.

Nothing in your post will even do 55mph reliably much less the interstate speed limit. The UK is designed for slow speed travel. The USA is designed for high speed travel. Totally different use case.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nothing in your post will even do 55mph reliably much less the interstate speed limit. The UK is designed for slow speed travel. The USA is designed for high speed travel. Totally different use case.
Not to mention my 6 National Park trip with the family would have been like driving from Dublin Ireland to Croatia at 75-80mph.
Lol

The best and most enjoyable roads I’ve driven were in Spain. 45-50mph max. Huge wide higways and fantastic back roads with like 2 other cars. LOL

rnArmy

Adventurer
I don't think you save that much weight going aluminum vs. steel. And I don't now how the aluminum would respond to flexing like steel would.

They sell DOT approved 15x7" rims with just a 2" backspacing. With those, you can put larger tires on the rims and not worry about the tires rubbing against the frame. Otherwise, a common trailer tire size is 175/80/13", and they often come already mounted on white spoke rims. And Northern Tool might actually sell these tires - if you're buying the trailer, they might let you test-fit one to make sure the tire doesn't hit the frame. I don't know if the one you're looking at has the four-bolt pattern, or the five-bolt pattern. Usually the four-bolt pattern only goes up to a 13" rim. And it is easy enough to swap out the axle for a slightly wider heavier-duty axle.

Check this out: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27...ype-trailer-ultimate-build-up-thread-1180456/

Everything you wanted to know about building a trailer off a little Harbor Freight-type trailer frame.

Last edited:

@nerdridesbikes

@nerdridesbikes
Want a lightweight aluminum 5x8 box ? Www.nhtrailers.com.

No affiliation but I’m happy with mine. Can custom spec them with insulation, hard roof, vents, brakes, electrical, camper doors, etc
I live in NH and was just looking at ProLine to start a build of a small Travel Trailer. We are on year two of a 19 Ft traditional TT (Mallard M185), and have decided we want to downsize and have some very specific features. I'd be curious how you have it built out, and what you had them put in?

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
I live in NH and was just looking at ProLine to start a build of a small Travel Trailer. We are on year two of a 19 Ft traditional TT (Mallard M185), and have decided we want to downsize and have some very specific features. I'd be curious how you have it built out, and what you had them put in?

I ordered a 5x8 motorcycle trailer. I had them upgrade the axle from a 2000# to a 3500# with10” electric brakes (also added a bunch of payload capacity). Other options were side camper door, a 30x30 window, fully insulated walls and ceiling, reinforced roof for walking on, roof rack for a roof tent, simple 110 package and a deep cycle group 31 battery. Also added some extra tie down rails on the walls, stabilizer jacks, and changed the ramp door to a swinging cargo door. I added a second deep cycle battery, circuit breaker and blue sea fuse bank to run everything along with a fridge, small solar setup, a 400w inverter, and a 110 trickle charger. Also added a fan to replace the roof vent, a finished vinyl plank floor and a bench. They were super easy to work with and very responsive to my questions and requests. Once I locked down my options and sent the deposit build time was like 3 weeks. We just beat the snot out of it in NH and then towed it 2400 miles round trip to Nashville and it didn’t miss a beat. The only thing I’ve had done to it was re-balance the tires to get rid of a small vibration.

Attachments

• 12CF1289-919B-454C-B27C-3DFB52317B30.png
    12CF1289-919B-454C-B27C-3DFB52317B30.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 37

@nerdridesbikes

@nerdridesbikes
I ordered a 5x8 motorcycle trailer. I had them upgrade the axle from a 2000# to a 3500# with10” electric brakes (also added a bunch of payload capacity). Other options were side camper door, a 30x30 window, fully insulated walls and ceiling, reinforced roof for walking on, roof rack for a roof tent, simple 110 package and a deep cycle group 31 battery. Also added some extra tie down rails on the walls, stabilizer jacks, and changed the ramp door to a swinging cargo door. I added a second deep cycle battery, circuit breaker and blue sea fuse bank to run everything along with a fridge, small solar setup, a 400w inverter, and a 110 trickle charger. Also added a fan to replace the roof vent, a finished vinyl plank floor and a bench. They were super easy to work with and very responsive to my questions and requests. Once I locked down my options and sent the deposit build time was like 3 weeks. We just beat the snot out of it in NH and then towed it 2400 miles round trip to Nashville and it didn’t miss a beat. The only thing I’ve had done to it was re-balance the tires to get rid of a small vibration.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Sounds like a lot of the options I am considering. We have a family of four and all want to be inside, so looking at a 7’ by 12’ or 14’. Still considerably smaller than my current mallard. It’s not going to be an off road trailer, but I want to build it to hold together on rough or dirt roads. All my snowmobile friends swear by proline and I like they are a local NH family business.

VicHanson

Adventurer
Welding isn't a big mystery. Spend some time on Youtube. Hobart 140 welders aren't too expensive. Grab some scrap steel and start welding.

NlocEWY.jpg

Build you're own.

T
I've done some welding but as I said I want aluminum for the lighter weight, not steel.

VicHanson

Adventurer
I believe towing any travel trailer behind a CRV would not be very fun, even a 13' Scamp or Casita. A teardrop or pop up might be better suited to the tow rig you are planning.

That being said if you are looking for a cheap and light small trailer base to build on, Carry-On trailers might have something you like. They are cheapie angle iron trailers that look as though welded and painted by drunken monkeys but are reasonably sturdy and affordable. Tractor Supply and Lowes are common retailers for the brand.
I had a 16' Scamp and pulled it with a Dodge Omni, I'm not at all worried about pulling a 1,500 lb. trailer with a CRV.

billiebob

I've done some welding but as I said I want aluminum for the lighter weight, not steel.
Aluminium has a much narrower range from melting to boiling than steel. And the weight savings are not dramatic. To get the same strength from aluminium. the aluminium must be thicker. And aluminium is more brittle than steel. A high strength steel will weld much easier and likely be very close to the same weight but be far more durable.

You need to be a very good welder to weld aluminium.

ram2500_24v

Aluminum is 1/3 the weight of carbon steel, but also 3x the cost. I would say to build the frame from steel and use aluminum for cladding. Aluminum could be riveted together as well to limit the welding time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne