did I forget any "must have" option? Midwest 2020 custom F350 gasser.

CodyY

Explorer
In all fairness I think you had your kid's name in your signature because I wondered why the two different names, it looks like you removed it.
I updated my signature because Garrett Overland is the old name of my business, I use Tapatalk on my phone so I haven't seen my signature in a couple years. I still own the name, and Garrett is my middle name, there's a thread in Central too.

That said, talking poorly about someone's children is inexcusable

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Halligan

Adventurer
Well LA I'm sorry I opened a can of worms with my inquiry of why not getting the 7.3 engine. That said, some good point's regarding 1st year technology and the possibility of issue's was brought up and I get that thought process. I also agree the 6.2 will get the job done for you just fine. Get that new rig ordered up so you can hit the road and make memories.

CFMGarage

Both of the engines will be just fine, but I would be dead set on waiting until more mileage and road use data come out on the new 7.3.

I wouldn't have chimed in again other than you mentioned using the NEW 10 speed trans. So one first year design is ok as long as it's not the engine? What were the comments from your 6.2 group about new transmissions? You may hear, "well, transmissions are different". All that other tech on the truck will sooner leave you stranded. More computers, more wiring, more complexity and then a more simple engine design. It's like we are arguing backwards.

Tried and true means lessons learned. Any problem the 6.2 could have the 7.3 can have. They aren't even trying to use crazy tech, it's a overhead valve push-rod V-8, it's just big displacement. It's what Ford considers the perfect displacement for the volumetric efficiencies they are looking for in lower RPM operation naturally aspirated.

All I am saying is to just wait and see about the 7.3 and that you may make a mistake. I'll also say just to go drive one. And drive one with 3k in the bed. Your auto broker shouldn't have a problem with this if they are any good. Before I ordered mine, I borrowed a G56 Cummins for the weekend and did what I expected to do with it. I pulled a skid steer at 11k pounds, I loaded 3800 in the bed and drove around. Maybe I didn't tell the dealer I towed like that... Go make your choice out there and stop listening to both sides of the equation in here. My local rental yard would love to help test a new F350 7.3 gasser and would be happy to load the bed to 3500lbs.

If you come back and say, "guys, the 6.2 was hands down better when the truck was loaded and I got X mpg over the weekend which was Y better than the 7.3." I'll agree with you, until then I'd want to get all my information before making the decision and you have a rare opportunity with a new engine being released. We won't be having this conversation in 2 years, your truck would simply have the 7.3 option by default for all the reasons you listed for the 6.2

Resell on this super loaded "small engine" truck should also be in your mind. This will be like the 5.4 F350s/Excursions back in the day. Most people don't take the time to study and digest a decision and the lack of the "big block" will have an impact that is more than the cost of the 7.3 upgrade. You know, like I do, that most truck buyers are just looking at the max HP/TQ and towing numbers like they matter. I don't think we'd have 1000TQ coal burners if not.

So for me, more depreciation and worse gas mileage across the life of the truck would mean my wallet would slap me if I didn't think about the 7.3.

I can taste the regret I would have, but I just want to be an opinion on your shoulder that you weigh with all the other opinions. I consider the new vs. old argument as weaker in our current society. So much "have it right now" means that previous opinions mean less because the products change so quickly.

glock7018

Resell on this super loaded "small engine" truck should also be in your mind. This will be like the 5.4 F350s/Excursions back in the day. Most people don't take the time to study and digest a decision and the lack of the "big block" will have an impact that is more than the cost of the 7.3 upgrade. You know, like I do, that most truck buyers are just looking at the max HP/TQ and towing numbers like they matter. I don't think we'd have 1000TQ coal burners if not.

This is a good point. When it comes to sell it, no one is going to want a luxury truck with the least amount of power. Everyone who would like at the ad will say to themselves " Why didnt he get the 7.3 if he wanted a gas truck?"

adam88

Explorer
Oh man I wouldn't go with the 6.2L over the 7.3L. The 7.3L looks like it is exactly the engine the world has been waiting for for about 80 years. Way overbuilt, built to basically be indestructible and built for harsh working environments. These will be the engines you see in uhauls and stuff that work hard every in tough conditions and just keep going. If you watch some videos on youtube on the 7.3L, you will see the Ford engineers talk about the 6.2L was never really designed from the ground up, where as this new 7.3L is totally designed using every bit of the latest science. I honestly think it is the best gas engine we will ever see from Ford and the LAST gas engine because going forward from 2025 onward it will probably be replaced by electric.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles